1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition: Bring back the Predator!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 6, 2008.

?

BRING IT BACK

1. Bring it back!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way... (why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Something new (idea)

100.0%

Petition: Bring back the Predator!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol when did I give it higher versatile points, I have said why I don't think it is versatile.

For the Reaper, it is because its a ground unit which achieves the same princible as a flyer; hopping over barriers.
    Also comparing the D8 charges and Banshee attack, the Banshee do most damage against units and are very weak against buildings, a group of them couldn't even do muc damage to a single AA Turret. Whereas the Reaper's mines do severe damage to whatever is caught in the blast.

Reaper is more versatile cuz it can be used in much more situations than a Banshee, but there is no way to prove that of course until more videos are released and stuff. :]

Plus didn't you say Terran are specialized, or has your opinion changed?

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Siege Tank has the same disadvantages that the Viking has when transforming. It doesn't make sense to scale one up for that fact, while scaling the other one down.
    The Reaper doesn't achieve the same principles of a flyer just because it can jump cliffs. Air units can cross water, space, etc, Reapers cannot. In island maps, the Reaper won't be able to jetpack across islands, but the Banshee will be able to fly. In maps where bases start on the edge of an ocean or space station, then, again, Reapers won't be able to infiltrate and Banshees will.
    Reapers wouldn't target large buildings like the Hatcheries, Nexi or Command Centers, because their D8 Charges wouldn't deal enough damage to finish them off. These buildings are the more armored ones. The buildings that Reapers and Banshees would target would be ones that provide supply or offer defense. These buildings generally don't have as much armor as larger ones. On the StarCraft2 website it is shown that five Banshees take out a Pylon extremely quickly, and when I say extremely, I really do mean extremely quickly. Pylons don't have much armor, and each Banshee deals thirty damage per attack. With each one attacking, that's nearly an instant one hundred and fifty damage. Not only is this very powerful, but it's both instant, and able to be sustained, unlike the Reapers' D8 Charges. Banshees deal a lot of constant damage against buildings, but the Reaper can only deal one, time delayed attack, powerful though it may be. I don't see any situation in which Banshees wouldn't excel over Reapers, the only advantage Reapers have is being cheap and acquirable early on.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I did not scale the Siege Tank up.

I say the Reaper is versatile cuz it has 2 functions where others have 1.
    It can move on the ground relitivly fast, and it can hop over cliffs.
    In numbers it could take out buildings, on its own or in small numbers it can take out buildings.
    They are massable so they can overwhelm, you can also micro them against melee. (Not Zealots which Charge of course)
    Their simple weak attack takes advantage of much stronger enemy units attributes (Immortal)
    They can repond to a battle situation quickly, they can also get out of one easily by jumping away.
    They can ambush effectivly by hiding on high ground and jumping down, they can flank enemy forces when needed.
    The mines can blow slow moving or less responsive targets up, or they can break up formations by forcing them to split.

Now with the Banshee, its attack is a volly then Pause, if anything does consistant damage its the Reaper since its a fast continuous hail of bullets.
    The Banshee's attack is not consistant at all cuz not all rockets hit the target meaning it would be a waste to fire at a single target since a lot will miss meaning less damage. Which is why the Banshee would have to wait for the right moment to strike.
    Now I have proof that the Banshee is not effective against buildings cuz Blizzard said it in the Terran show case video, and we all saw how they failed against AA Turrets were there was a lot of Banshee and the Turret didn't even catch fire.
    Now unless you can prove me wrong on the Banshee my stance still stands.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    so versatile is only used about movement? Because if its also used more "general", then the ST is as good in versatility then the reaper, because the ST is better against more units, where the reaper only is a harasser IMO.

5. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    the ST isn't versatile because unlike the reaper the siege tank has a slow movement speed, causing most air units to be able to kill easily. also when placed in siege mode it is even more vulnerable to air fire because of the time it takes to shift modes. So even though the ST can kill more stuff the reaper can be used in more situations.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    But how effective will the reaper be if it/he is not harrasing? What will the dps be? How much heal will he/it has? For me it looks pretty weak if it is not harrasing... so for me it does not seems more versatile, because it will not be strong enought to fight stalkers, ST´s, MMM etc.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Versatility is not influenced by strength, althought I can be a factor. Did you not read the definition.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    When i read "competent in many areas", i think this is a unit you would be able to send out in many situations where it would be able to fight OK against the enemy, but perhaps im just misunderstanding thw whole part...

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    And I have explained how the Reaper will be useful. As the Reaper can be used with precision (mines) or massed. And you can save the mass by jumping away.

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The mines seems weak vs units that just can move away, and effective vs buildings, therefore making the reaper a effective harraser (killing the defending buildings with mines, then killing the drones). But how would you use the reaper against a big force that is pushing you? Jump in, fight and die? The reaper is IMO only good in harrasing, and perhaps good at killing a few troops.

11. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I agree, against large armies the reaper will probably die without doing much.

12. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

reapers are currently units that ull use once in each match :(
    i like units (lings, zealots, hydras) that can be used at any tier because of their upgrades

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Every unit has more than one function. This isn't something that's unique to the Reaper.
    The Banshee is also fast, and is more maneuverable than then Reaper. The Reaper may be able to jump cliffs, but the Banshee can fly over them as well. The Banshee is also able to fly over oceans or rivers, which the Reaper cannot.
    In numbers, anything can take out buildings. On their own, the Reapers rely on their D8 Charges, which won't always be available. Banshees don't need to worry about things like that, because they always have access to their attack.
    Any unit is massable, and it's not a good idea to mass any in StarCraft2, as every unit has a counter. Banshees have much more firepower, so they do not require such great numbers. Banshees can take down ground melee units much faster, because they're at no risk of being hit. I know that Banshees are vulnerable to Air-to-Air attacks just as Reapers are vulnerable to Air-to-Ground attacks, which is where the Banshees Cloak comes into play.
    So does the Immortal. Each of the Banshees' five attacks deals six damage, and the Immortals shields only activate at ten or over.
    I've said before that even though Reapers are maneuverable by jumping cliffs, they aren't as maneuverable as the Banshee.
    As can any air unit.
    Can't the D8 Charges be attacked and killed before the timer runs out? Seeing as most players will always have area of effect attackers with them, they'll make short work of the Charges.
    Also, if the D8 Charges can't be destroyed, then yes, they will split the forces. However Banshees will either obliterate the units in the middle or the army, thus splitting them, or they'll force them to spread out and split up.
    I said that the Banshees attack is constant because it isn't a one off thing, like the D8 Charges. The Reaper might have a continuous attack, but it is much, much weaker than the Banshees.
    Small targets are usually clustered, meaning that the Banshee will be very effective against them. Large targets are usually more spread out, but because they're larger, they take up a greater proportion of the area of effect and as a result take more damage.
    In the video, you can see that the Missile Turrets start attacking them while they're still attacking the Siege Tanks, and the Banshees aren't all concentrating their fire on the one Turret. Also, Missile Turrets require the Sensor Tower to detect Cloaked units. If the player was smart and took out the Sensor Tower first, just as they took out the Pylon before the Phase Cannons in the clip I told you about, then they wouldn't be able to be attacked.
    Apart from the D8 Charges, Reapers are hopeless against buildings. The Charges are only strong enough to take out small buildings like Supply Depots, so taking down buildings like the Barracks would require a lot more time, unless you massed them, which I've told you isn't a great idea in StarCraft2.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Still ItzaHexGor Blizzard said in the Gameplay video that they were effective vs marines etc (masses of weak ground troops), and not buildings, as i think they will have bonus vs light!

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    They don't have a bonus against light at the moment, the Viking has that. They said that they're effective against massed Marines because they cover the whole area of the Banshee's attack. Large targets will also do this. When raiding, and up against Phase Cannons or Missile Turrets, they need to take out the Pylon or Sensor Tower as quickly as possible, because that way the static defenses are useless.

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes but realistic wise a few weak bullets shouldnt be good against a big armored targetm but against weak not armored targets.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    They aren't weak bullets, they're rockets. Lots of rockets at that.

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes but marines are in power-suits... so supersuits-superbullets =clothes-bullets... but lets look vs a tank, supertank-superbullets=tank-bullets and then the tank would win...

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Not any more since it has lost its AoE. Although most of your points are valid I still say the Banshee is slightly versatile but on a whole it is more focused on tactical strikes whereas Reapers are expendable and are versatile in any situation they are in.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I reckon the Reaper is more focused on tactical strikes. They wouldn't be able to compete in the midst of a full scale battle, they need to strike in and out really quickly. The Banshee on the other hand can provide support fire in the midst of a battle, as well as being able to raid, in and out.