1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition: Bring back the Predator!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 6, 2008.

?

BRING IT BACK

1. Bring it back!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way... (why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Something new (idea)

100.0%

Petition: Bring back the Predator!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Battlecruiser is supposed to be a Capital ship. Capital ships have the most firepower and armor. They aren't supposed to be specialized and only good against one type of unit (in your case, armored).
    There are several contradictions in your suggestion.
    Firstly, you say that you don't want another Air-to-Air fighter, because the Terran already have the Vikings, yet you suggest to have both the Thor and the new Factory unit as dedicated Ground-to-Air. So you don't want two units that are both designed for Air-to-Air, but you want the Terran to have two more Ground-to-Air units.
    Secondly, you say that your suggestion is designed to solve the lack of Terran Ground-to-Air issue, but you fail to solve the lack of Terran's Air-to-Air issue, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Exactly. Nicely said.

But maybe Shogun is used to the Goliaths owning most air units with their 20+ damage, or was it 20 for each missle which adds up to 40+?
    And because the Goliath was so powerful against air, initially he would think GtA is better always. But see where the Goliath has the better air attack even then some air fighters it lacks that mobility and response time which a air unit has, and right now Terran have that in the form of a Viking but the Vikings role does not fit the specialized role of AtA were a Predator would. Then that leaves the Viking to resume its usual function as a support unit, or even semi-assult which it comes to units.

Its all about how the units balance them selfs out in some or most cases.

Goliath = Stronger attack but less mobile.
    Viking = Focused AtA for heavy armor but a lot more versatile meaning it can switch roles.
    Predator = Most effective AA since it has that mobility the Goliath lacks yet more expandability then the Viking.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Predator isnt the most effective AA, Its the most effective AA against light ships, and the Viking is the best AA against capital ships.

4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I don't know where you guys are getting all of these ideas about the Predator being such an awesome unit. It was mediocre, at best. It wasn't particularly fast, not particularly strong, and its ability was hard to apply on the battlefield. I can't even say that I liked the art. It didn't look nearly as cool, zoomed out, as it did close up. I don't mind at all that the unit was taken out.

I know Blizzard is capable of a more effective general-air and AA fighter, I mean, we had the Wraith, which was much more fun to use and more effective, I think. They can easily top it.

(1000th post, w00t!)

5. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Congrats on that there post Neon.

I've yet to see a Predator in action, but I found their design ugly, the ability a bit sketchy, and I would've taken the Wraith over it.
    I'd probably want the Valkyrie back before it.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Congratulations!
    I liked the unit because when i saw it the first time, and heard about the abbility i just thought, lasers able to kill bullets, that suits my playing style, im going to play Terran now!

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    No, you'll play Terran anyways.

All Protoss and Zerg players, deep down where they can't feel it, have a little Terran in them.
    Us Terran, will nurture that feeling until all of the Starcraft population become Terran.

8. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Grats an 1000th post neon

I don't know why but the Predator is just....awful IMO, it wasn't really that cool and its attack looked ridiculous

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Oh? I haven't seen it's regular attack. Was it a little laser or something?

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    There's a picture of it shooting? Missed that, I guess.
    Please post it MC.

11. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    It's possible he's talking about the anit-missile thing...?

I dunno.

12. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
  13. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    how can u think the predator looked bad
    it was so sleek and stylish
    the only thing that makes it look bad was that in comparison the rest of the vehicles looked like they were welded together by a toddler

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ 10-Neon. I agree. The Predator was never proven to be such an awesome unit, which is probably why it got cut.
    I'm hoping for a completely new Air-to-Air unit from the StarPort and another completely new Ground-to-Air from the Factory. Terran have a tonne of Anti-Ground at the moment, so they'd need these units to help in the Anti-Air department.
    @ MarineCorp. I saw it at about 6:02 in the middle of the screen. It's the thing that gets Time Bombed. You can see its attack earlier, and I agree that the attack looks pretty lame.
    Also, what unit is it that attacks it with that weird zapping attack?

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Ok, I just watched the video. It looked as if the Colossus had an air attack for a second, but it seems to be the Predators possible attack, and it looks very ehhh (of course we have no idea until Blizzard tells us, someone who has a bnet forum account plz ask Karune). I hope they are re-modeling it or something.

16. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Having a unit fit one very strict role doesn't seem to be part of the terran philosphy, and that's part of the reason I didn't warm much to the Valkyrie.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    So, what is ''Terran philosophy''?

18. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Versatile units capable of a multitude of things. The only exceptions appear to be firebats (which I almost never saw used), and valks (which were used little).

The same seems to hold true for SC2 as well.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It seems as though having very strict roles doesn't seem to be a part of your views of the Terran, but they are definitely a part of the Terran philosophy. Terran actually do use very specialized units. Firebats, Siege Tanks, Vultures, Valkyries, Reapers, Marauders and Banshees are all examples of Terran units that are extremely specialized (seeing as most of these are specialized Anti-Ground, they'll also need some pure Anti-Air units to even it out). They're specialized so that they're able to be as powerful as possible at their role. A specialized unit will pretty much always have more damage, but less versatility than unspecialized units. Terran have these specialized units and then require good tactics to co-ordinate attacks, raids, etc.

20. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Let me tell you why they aren't:

Siege Tanks: Tanks are primarily used for base defense and base attack, but they can also be used to destroy workers and offer quick mobile support against pretty much anything. Being equally adept and attacking and defending, I would say they are fairly versatile.

Vultures: Possibly the most versatile unit the terran have. It can be used for scouting, worker harassment, killing barricaded units, rudimentary defense, choke holding, and more.

Repears: I haven’t played with them, so this is mainly theory. Their obvious use is worker harassment and base raids. If I had to make a guess though, they could also probably work as an interesting defense, getting behind the attacking army and fighting their units (especially siege units), effectively splitting their force. I also bet they can be used as scouts.

Marauder: Last I remember, there wasn’t any information on them yet.

Banshee: Once again, I’ve never played with it before. If I had to take a guess though, I would say that it can be used for base raids, worker harassment, army raiding, straggler hunting, and possibly others.

As for the firebat and valk, see above.