1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition: Bring back the Predator!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 6, 2008.

?

BRING IT BACK

1. Bring it back!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way... (why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Something new (idea)

100.0%

Petition: Bring back the Predator!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 6, 2008.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Why did no one answer my?
    It seems like you dont know mutch about balance. You cant balance one matchup after each other, its much more complicated. If you balanced one match-up, and then balanced the other out from those results, the game would not be half as good. When Blizzard balance the games they take all 3 races and look at them in a triangle.

2. Overling

Overling New Member

Yep, that's what I was talking about: they must be keeping Terrans with tons of possibilities, so whatever they choose for the Zergs and Protoss, they can still find a good pick among the terran possibilities to create a balanced set of units.

If they had closed the Terran possibilities, as they are almost doing for the Protoss, that would limit too much what could be done for Zergs. By having a great unit pool to pick from, they could imo, find a suitable combination to place there whatever the Zerg and Protoss have. Sort of like they were keeping the Terrans open for fitting both the Toss and Zerg later.

EDIT: My 'why' is that Predator would overlap with both Nomad's defensive matrix and Viking's air-form. Another AtA just to make an anti-air AoE wouldn't be so fun as an anti-air-Thor, that you have to plan carefully what to do with because of limited mobility.

3. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

the terran starport artery's are already too clogged to take a bigmack with a side of predator. they have the BC, nomad, and the viking.

4. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

You forgot the Dropship or Medivac Dropship or somethings
    Predator can come back,but give it another ability,intercept missile and even laser somehow too unbalance

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The old StarPort had the Wraith, Dropship Science Vessel, Battlecruiser and Valkyrie, so I don't see how having the Viking, Nomad, Medivac and Battlecruiser, also you left out the Banshee, counts as being 'clogged'. Firstly, in response to fans, Blizzard will probably, and hopefully, move the Viking back to the Factory, thus freeing up a spot, and not that it frees up a position, but spilt the Medivac back into the Dropship and Medic. That leaves the Dropship, Banshee, Nomad and Battlecruiser. There's easily room for an Anti-Air fighter, Predator or not.

6. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Hex, I really hope that's what Blizzard will do.

Although I'm still iffy about the Predator. It was interesting to me at first but... now? Ehhhh.

7. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I really think that terran doesn't need the Predator I mean it had a cool concept but I don't think its that useful. I for one am sticking to the viking.

oh and sorry about all the units I forgot.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    So tell me how a slow firing Viking fights off exclusivly AtA Phoenix and fast manouverable Mutalisk where one shot hits 3 units?

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In Ground Form. Quite easily I might add.
    The Phoenix can't even retaliate, so it's easy for the pickings, and it only takes four shots to take down a Mutalisk.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Meh the GtA mode will probably be taken out. But really the major defense you have again attacking air which are superior to the Viking's air mode is simply that. Once your Vikings are gone they will continue to eat up your Battlecruisers.
    Ah not to forget the Corrupter which puts Terran in deeper sand when it comes to AA.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Terran definitely do need an Air-to-Air unit capable of taking on swarms, or at least another equally effective way of doing so, but comparing a new Air-to-Air unit to other dedicated Air-to-Air units isn't the way to go. Air-to-Air units aren't supposed to be the counter to enemy Air-to-Air units, that's what Ground-to-Air units are for. There's no sense in fighting something in its strongest area when you can attack it from its weakness.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    In Sc1: 5 Overlords, 3 Hydralisk, then 4 Corsairs = GG Overlords.
    Just because there are units capable of killing them doesn't mean they won't attack. Also note Protoss have shields meaning hit and run works very well with them.
    In Sc2: 5 Overlords, no GtA units/1-2 Hydralisk, then 2-3 Phoenix = GG Overlords.
    Phoenix has longer range than a Corsair and from what I've heard they are very dominating.

13. Elfgard

Elfgard New Member

I really like the idea of the Predator. It would be like the Wraith, and I think it looks fucking great!
    The idea of intercepting incomming attack is altso fantastic.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Psionicz. That really doesn't prove anything. The cost of all those Corsairs would be around 600 minerals and 400 gas when you're only defending it with 225 minerals and 75 gas worth of Hydralisks, so of course the Corsairs are going to overpower the Hydralisks. Not to mention that so many Overlords are usually better protected and that Corsairs have Disruption Web to stop the Hydralisks attacking.
    The Phoenix sacrifices these more novelty abilities to focus on even more Anti-Air attack power, so why would you want a Terran Air unit to stop it? That's like wanting a Ground unit to stop the Colossus.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well would you want your air to get owned everytime a Phoenix comes around.
    Now we all understand the concept of Protoss being the 'strongest' meaning the Terran have to find a countermeasure to combat one of these stronger units, their answer is/was EMP and lockdown. They just need something innovative for the race which can stop these stronger units. Just look at the Predator for example, I doubt it was a strong as the Phoenix is now yet it had an ability and that ability gave it a chance and a second use.
    Just like the Wraith and Valkyrie.
    The Wraith had cloak which is an obvious counter. The Valkyrie forces them to break formation or not even send many units in at once due to its pure splash damage.

16. blindoutlaw

blindoutlaw New Member

Australia
    i like the look of the predator but the terrans have a AtA unit, its the Viking

and i for one am happy with it as my terran AtA unit, plus its transforming into ground mode makes it even more useful than the predator

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Giving an example of 225 minerals and 75 gas worth of Hydralisks defending against 600 minerals and 400 gas worth of Corsairs is no way to prove this. It's no way to prove anything.
    The Viking only excels at taking out heavily armoured or capital ships. They are much weaker than a pure Air-to-Air counterpart meaning that they aren't a good all-rounder when it comes to Air-to-Air. There needs to be something to fill that void.