1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overlords changed to a building???

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by starcraft2, Jul 9, 2007.

overlords changed to a building???

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by starcraft2, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Darkmer

Darkmer New Member

I would really like Overlords to stay the same.

Blizzard said they want to highlight the race differences and make one KNOW they are not using the same play style for each race. Making overlords fly is a great way to make the zerg unique.

Giving the overlord buffing abilities is probally overpowered because now they have a WHOLE lot on their plate, detecting, transporting, supply, and adding buff abilities seems just too much. They would have to up the cost of an overlord and people would be too afraid to lose them. Just seems like a dangerous idea.

Having them morph into buildings also seems like an interesting idea. The problem is it would need to take some time and to balance you would lose the supply it offers (if it has an attack). I sorta like Overlords just hanging out without any supper cool tricks up their sleeves though.

2. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Over lords being creatures is what makes them unique from other races I hope they stay the same

3. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

detecting and transporting seem like pretty good qualities for the overlord

i say stay the same

4. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

I'd much rather them be able to give some sort of support for zerg units in close proximity like a rage that makes units attack faster or do much damage (kinda like a stim pack) or possibly something that allows the overlord to create additional creep.

I can see a strategy of "1. deploy units to hold this particular area of ground. 2. vomit up creep. 3. Make drone become nydus canal. 4. Bring a whole bunch of troops from base through the nydus canal." It would make a nice beachhead maneuver. Although I'd like to see how the nydus worm functions as well.

5. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I'd like it to stay the same so the races would be different.

6. string_me_along

they can still keep the races different and improve the overlord. Or do something completely different with it and make the races more unique.

7. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Yes but what??

8. string_me_along

this thread is full of ideas. Overlord adding creep, overlord spawning larva, overlord going to ground temporarily to become a sunken colony, Overlord causing a frenzy among ground based zerg.

There's all sorts of minor adjustments possible that could really change the way that the overlord and the zerg in general can operate.

9. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

I think people really underestimate the overlord. I really liked them. With all thier upgrades they became awesome support units. Since you need them for supply, your base is already full of detection. This just screws over ghosts and DT. I always kept 2 by my minerals, ready to scoup up my drones in case of a DT or reaver attack. You just have to get creative with the big guys. At a worse case scenario they can be cannon fodder, taking damage if your opponent doesnt micro.

10. string_me_along

No doubt they were useful, I mean they were a pylon, observer and shuttle all in one. But as the game progresses, they often take a back seat. They're good for detection and ferrying units, but there are other abilities they could have to make them better support units in battle or to allow different tactic to open up. Many of the other returning units have been modified, I'd love to see the overlord have a third tier mutation to make them more useful.

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

overload mutation would be great

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

If they were changed to a building they would need a new detector and a new transport. It would make them less vulnerable to things like erradiate and PSI storms but other than that im not sure how beneficial this would be. However if they made larva that would be awsome! But again it would be hard to select all them to make troops...

13. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

im kinda interested in overlord larva spwn and overlord mutation

they are useful as detectors and transport but they are so defenceless

maybe they can mutate to gain some attack

14. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

Now there's the nydus worm, not the nydus canal, so no creep is required for the nydus worm.

I like the overlord mutation, maybe it only can turn into a building after it mutates.