1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overlord SC1 vs Overseer SC2

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Eduardo Zamora, Apr 16, 2008.

Overlord SC1 vs Overseer SC2

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Eduardo Zamora, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why would you need Pneumatized Carapace? You don't seem to understand what this strategy is about. Your Overlords would only have to travel over a cliffside/body of water (or whatever is surrounding the enemy's main). The speed upgrade is not needed for this quick drop rush.

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes!! finally, after reading all that about which is better for a drop, someone remember that the nydus wyrm can instently(sp) transport the ground troops to the nearby battle-field.T

The nydus wyrm have the same capabilities of the drop pod and warp-in, it just does it differently. it can be used for a drop or to bring in reinforcement to the frontlines.

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

well, i dont think the nydus will be different AND effecient, maybe just one

what does (sp) mean by the way?

4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    @GMG: The speed upgrade is absolutely necessary if you want to rush anything but the island directly adjacent to you... and I can't think of a lot of island maps where the bases are all adjacent. Also, if you want to attack with large numbers (if you are Zerg, basically) you'll want to be able to bolster those forces quickly. Units that get outpaced by floating structures simply won't cut it.

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i never said that it was gonna be as efficient as the other two, it might be more it might be less.

and (sp) stands for spelling mistake, because i know that its spelled incorrectly just i feel lazy to fix it at the moment

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Let's clear something up. If people are to take part in the main on-going debate, they ought to know what they are debating against. No one is arguing if the Overlord is SUPERIOR. People who have been arguing pro-Ovie(mainly Psionicz and myself I believe) are pointing out that Ovie as a transport still has certain benefits and advantages to justify it coexisting with the Nydus in SC2. Sure, T and P now have Drop-pods and Warp-in, but they also have their Dropship and Shuttles do they not? Same deal here, Zerg should have Nydus AND Ovie as methods of ground unit transport.

About the whole timing thing, let me clear that up too. Some people seem to not understand how a classic fast Ovie drop works, as basic and textbook it is, so I'll explain.

You tech up to Lair, and start researching Ventral Sacs(transport ability). You then gather all your Ovies and drop units at the designated pickup zone, sometimes this is your base, other times it's as close to the enemy base as you can get for faster timing(obviously the exact location of pickup zone would vary from game to game). Once the Ventral Sacs research is complete, you load up everything and send it to the designated drop zone. As soon
    as you send your loaded Ovies off, you hotkey back to your Lair and research Pneumatized Carapace while your loaded Ovies are en route to their drop zone.

What usually happens is your Ovies will start closing on the enemy base and get a sudden burst of speed. If your pickup zone was close enough to the enemy base to begin with, you might even drop before the speed kicks in. I don't see how the Nydus can match that timing wise. Timing definitely goes to the Ovie.

@ Psionicz,
    Yes I know, and I've mentioned as such. I blame Karune, not you.

7. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i just want to point out that, im for both the nydus wyrm and ovie being able to transport, i was just getting tried at all this argument centering around 'drops'.

8. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

as of now id say SC1ovie is better than overseer as of now...

the only thing that hindrances the seer to be better than the overlord is the purpose of its creep skills coz its still not clear how will they fx..

* will it be able to create creep out of nowhere?? therefore disabling expansion for other players to certain favorable sites..
    * will its mine corruption skill disable or slowen harvesting??
    * a stationary seer will gain xtra vsion but no xtra detection.. how often will we see cloaked units in a gameplay anyway??

id definitely vote for the "OV1 kanobe" as of now hahahaha

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The corruption basically disables a mineral patch. I'm guessing it doesn't take the whole patch just a single mineral group. Little creatures will go on the mineral and you'd have to kill them to enable the mineral.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Overseer has to stay still in "creep mode" so it will basically be a sitting duck. The creep created by the Seer will disappear rather quickly after it stops/dies so what you actually do is sacrifice lots of supply, minerals and gas just to slow down an expansion by a few seconds. Not worth it.

11. gusgusthegreat

gusgusthegreat New Member

Personally, I think Protoss, in SC1, are overpowered. But that's just because I suck at ZvP. :p The loss of the detection ability seems a bit foreign, really, but I think we'll get used to it once the game arrives. I have utmost confidence in Blizzard's ability to make it a fantastic game, but, as a Zerg player, I'll probably still miss all the detectors flying around. Although the Nydus Worms are a sweet makeup for it. :D