1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

# of Lings per Larvae?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by MrFrancko, Jun 30, 2007.

# of Lings per Larvae?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by MrFrancko, Jun 30, 2007.

1. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Now this idea looks good. Rather higher spawn rate than more larvae. :powerup:

2. burkid

burkid New Member

yay, acceptance.

3. paragon

paragon Guest

Ah increasing the spawn rate for the larva would be a good idea. That way the same amount of larva are still available initially but it would give zerg a slight edge. However, just giving it to the person when they get the lair and then the hive might be imbalanced. But if there was an upgrade at the lair level to increase the larva respawn rate and then another at hive level, it could be more easily balanced.
    I'd give you a power up but I already did earlier.

4. burkid

burkid New Member

its ok, ive already got 2 today.
    i used to think that the spawn rate was increased at higher levels anyways, but then one time i selected a larva from a hatchery and hive at the same time and had them both make a muta, and both larva came back at the same time.

5. paragon

paragon Guest

I hated having to keep building hatcheries because I would continuously run out of larva and have to wait a long time to get more. I remember often having five hatcheries and a hive and making 18 units at once.

6. burkid

burkid New Member

i have to say, despite how much i hated waiting for larvae, i loved the simotaneous building.

7. paragon

paragon Guest

Yeah. I've always wondered if they make 5 units from one hatchery faster than terrans and protoss if the build time of the unit was constant for both build types. Like if you build a unit that took 30 seconds to build from 3 larva at a hatchery and then immediately after another larva appeared, another unit was made and then immediately after a second larva appeared, the fifth unit was made. Then you build five of another unit that takes 30 seconds at a barracks. I'd think the Zerg would be faster.

8. burkid

burkid New Member

i think thats why zerg get that building type, so they can get more.

9. Piretes

Piretes New Member

Paragon's suggestion is better, Lair is easy to tech to and very easy to mutate into ( the cost of 1 wraith). Hive is harder. faster spawn rate is just overpowered though. Then the cost of a Hatch should be 400 minerals and us Zergs don't want that to happen, do we? The whole idea is to have more than 1 hatch to spawn from.. faster spawn rate would make a quick hatch expo seem silly.

On topic, lings should stay as they are, no upgrades for HP, we have enough upgrades already. And damn, sometimes cracklings are just overpowered...

10. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

My idea is merely an aesthetic thing for the zerg. I would bring the zerglings down in hp/dmg in order to make them balanced but they would look like they have a huge army. I just figured Blizzard was going for that 'swarm' feel this time around and having 3-4 zerglings per egg would give that feel easy. When it comes to larvae with a lair or so on, that's late game and you're not going to be making many lings anyways, cept for maybe siege bait. Doesn't matter how many larvae there are... Still, i'd keep that the same because you don't want to mess up the mechanics with late game zerg units being able to create too many per lair.

11. paragon

paragon Guest

You'd never be able to make 3 zerglings the same as 2 zerglings no matter what numbers you change. It may look fine on paper somehow but in practice it will always be considerably different.

12. burkid

burkid New Member

if you read what i said carefully, i said at hive level

13. Ych

Ych New Member

I don't think having more Lings per larvae is going to be a good idea.
    Zerglings are good as they are when fully upgraded to Cracklings. With the new ability to Morph into Banelings, are they as fine as they are.

14. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

They should leave it at 2 then have some upgrade for your hatchery for more larva

15. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Sorry I'm late into this conversation, but isn't the rate of larva spawn increase a little as you go from Hatchery --> Lair --> Hive? I always felt like it was this way when playing as the zerg.

I always disliked the idea of increasing the amount of larva due to the fact that:

1) you can make mass zerg army much quicker (unless the time to create a unit increases) and

2) it encourages people not to build multiple hatcheries. The point of zerg is to create mass armies with lots of hatcheries. It's just another lazy way of playing zerg by increasing larvae. However 4 larva when upgraded to the Hive might be alright as Paragon suggested. This way it balances it out a bit by having players invest and spend more money for a tactical advantage and at the same time it does not make it not balance. The 3,4,5 system is waaaay to imbalanced.

oh and two lings per larva is good enough and I agree with everyone's reasons for it in previous posts :p

16. paragon

paragon Guest

No the rate does not increase any in starcraft when you go up to lair and hive.

17. drewcbarnard

drewcbarnard Member

If it ain't broken, don't fix it....I think the Baneling evolution is good enough. I can see why they want the Zerg race to feel like more of a swarm in SC2. If they have to do something, I think tweaking the spawn rate is good enough.... once again, If they have too.

18. mc2

mc2 New Member

A larvae can morph 2 zerglings, then the 2 lings can morph into 4 banelings. So 1 larvae --> 2 lings seems like a good number.

If they wanna make zerg to go towards the swarm approach then a larvae should be produced every 15 seconds instead of 20. As well as allowing more larvae to deposit at a hatchery at a given time

19. paragon

paragon Guest

wait... what? I thought it was 1 zergling = 1 baneling not 1 zergling = 2 baneling...

20. burkid

burkid New Member

im pretty sure that you can only get 1 baneling per zergling.