1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nydus worm

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ChickeN Wing, May 5, 2008.

Nydus worm

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ChickeN Wing, May 5, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well from what I've seen they come out one at a time.

2. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    IMO this will make the zerg more sneaky as they will be able to drop into any base that they sight to. I'm only worried that it might be too good right, as you can bypass most defenses with it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    *Deleted unecessary posts, you should too.*

The Nydus also does up and down cliffs, I will definitly use the Nydus Worm a lot to flank and ambush.

4. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I think it would be too slow to ambush units, as I've heard it takes five seconds for the units to start coming out of the worm. Also doesn't the nydus cross all terrans including cliffs and the like.

5. Can_2

Can_2 New Member

Texas
    SO can the nydus worm be built anywhere w. vision i assume? :) cuz in gameplay its not even on a creep i think :p

6. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    its not really built like a building, its a transportion unit, you build it, load units into it like a dropship and then move the worm to where you want it to go, then make your drop(if you had the needed vision to do so),after it screams and settles down it acts like a nydus canal with the building require to make nydus worms, but you are still able to make the worm go back into the ground and go somewhere else, and from the latest news it seems that all the nydus worms shares the same 'stomach'.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    What you build will be on creep in your base, then from that the Nydus Worm extends and goes where you control it. It has now lost its ability to be unseen and is visible at all times.

As far as I'm concerned you basically load all the units you may want to lead the attack with and as it surfaces they will pile out of the Nydus worm. Then once the Worm has surfaced it will then act as a Nydus canal where you can continue to send units through the primary area and out the secondary Worm part.
    Once finished you may be able to load them though the secondary worm part (not quite sure), burrow and go elsewhere.

8. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    How will the nydus look now without it being cloaked?
    will it just show up like a cloaked unit does when detected (hopefully not), or when it be like a ripple on the surface?
    does anyone know?
    look /\ all ending in "?"

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its never gonna be cloaked now. Its a little out of the ground all the time, like a cobra rearing up.

10. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    Is the animation obvious? or does a player have to paying attention to see the little bit sticking out?

11. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    I think that Psionicz is referring to a Zerg Video where we saw a Nydus Worm from the Zerg player perspective. But we could easily see that the animation on the Nydus Worm was far from finished and needed a lot of retouch.

Seeing the Nydus Worm won't be too bad at all. It's going to be the Zerg transport the terran and protoss always had. Now that enemy can see it 100% of the time and if they kept that 5 seconds animation when deploying, it will make for the huge advantage Zerg will have. Getting Nydus Canal anywhere on the map is kind of freaky.

But I have to agree, a clocked transport for Zerg was refreshing.

They can always change the way Nydus Canal are right now, keep clock , but put another disadvantage.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I'll just post my view of it from another thread I posted this in:

Nydus Worm pros:
    Extremely tactical and can be used in many situations as we've highlighted.
    Much more durable than an Overlord/seer.
    Can further reinforce once all units have been unloaded as it now acts as a Nydus Canal.
    Gets Zerg units around the map in an inconspicuous manner, if it isn't seen.
    If one Worm dies and another is around the units won't be lost.
    Instantly reuseable.
    Nydus worm cons:
    Easy target for Sieged tanks meaning it could be impossible to get them into a Terran base.
    Terran's long detection spots them meaning they will anticipate your advance, then fortify any weak spots before you even had a chance to catch them off-guard.
    Not very fast.
    Costs more than an Overlord and takes up supply count when producing multiple Worms.

Now if the Nydus Worm burrowed around meaning its cloaked it would be able to ambush units, scout without being seen, go straight thru an opposing army and unburrow behind them to flank, evade those tanks, more tactical use, balanced by cost and supply, etc.

Now add detection into the picture and it gets all those cons listed above.

13. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I thought the nydus had very low health, but I could be wrong. Other than that I agree with all those points.

14. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

It has 250 hit points (compared to 200 for an Overlord).

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i bet kerrigan structured the worms appearance from the remains in aiurs robotic facility (reaver-style)

16. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I think she infested that sand worm doodad on Korhal. Arcturus Mengsk is going to be ticked.

17. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    hey welcome to the site Kimera, Just a word of advice please don't quote directly above you, as some of the other members get really *****y about that. Also I think it would be cool if the nydus was from the sand worms, But weren't they already in the game as nydus canals. The only difference is that you can now see and use the worm.

18. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    wait...how will it be attacked while moving? if its actually moving underground as apposed to borrowed? its not like zealots can dig the ground...(while they could, but that would look stupid).

19. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

now every1 is confuse... perhaps its visible but will be able to attack since its enormous parts protrude from the ground... if not... dont think logically as almost every zerg mechanic is now turning into a fictional illusion lol

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    As far as I've seen, it is out the ground, not burrowed like I've said 100 times.