1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nydus Worm Updates

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Jun 11, 2008.

Nydus Worm Updates

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Jun 11, 2008.

1. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    they could make it so that the units will take the shortest path to where you told them to go, so they will take the Nydus Worm express.

2. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    ya kinda of like the way points in WC3, or how nydus canals worked in the original SC. I sure BLIZZARD won't make anything new or complicated, just for the movement of units entering the nydus.

3. AngelLestat

AngelLestat New Member

Zerg transport ideas

I think that zerg has too few new ideas comparing to the other races. And blizzard need to work out already on them.
    They are thinking and testing new stuffs, but they have a limit of people for work in that. So, maybe we can provide a little help giving some ideas. One never knows..

For example:
    Terran: Viking, Reapers -Fly, climb -
    Medivac Dropship -troops transport and cure -

Protos: Stalkers, Colossus -Blink, climb -
    Phase prism -troops transport and gives energy to structures -

Zergs: None
    Nydus canal - you need creep to make an exit, is only transport, but no limit capasity (almost the same that SC1)

So, the other races have new ways to mobilize, and the zerg only this nydus canal becoz they loose the abilitie to transport with overlords. (But you need to use overlords anyway with the nydus for the biomater)
    And without talking in terms of balance, but who can imagine a race with super adaptation aliens that can not climb a wall. Any bug and a lot animals from earth can climb a wall.

My solution:
    Give to the Roach an abilitie upgrade (with cost) "climbing cliffs passive"
    Or an abilitie upgrade (with cost) "jump" with 20 sec delay.

For transport, you can do a nydus worm from the larva, it looks medium size and it can transport 8 units. This worm can be detected by any structures or units who can see invisible units. It has a slow move under ground, if is detected can be hit it, but when moves in underground has more HP or Def.
    This worm can evolve to the actual nydus canal, and in the nydus warren structure it appear like a new canal posibility for use.

Blizzard can take that the nydus only can move on the terrain.

Or other posibility (more difficult to program it) In terrain, water and space for that meteor maps or with water. If the worm leave the earth can be hit it, it count like a fly unit with less HP-Def but it moves faster until reach terrain again. (No fly, swim in water, and in space no gravity it get and impulse in a straight line until reach the land)

Ugly example:
    [​IMG]

I dont know, but for me it looks more fun that the actual idea.
    For get balance, is only adjust some costs or stats.

What are your ideas?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. youngfield

youngfield Guest

I dont like the new Nydus idea in SC2 when the worm need creep to come out. And it looks very risky.
    Your idea sound good. You did that pic?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  5. darks_11

darks_11 New Member

I agree with AngelLestat I think the nydus worm should be an invisable trasport for the zerg that moves underground

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. AngelLestat

AngelLestat New Member

Yeah I did the pic :)

Some extras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. darks_11

darks_11 New Member

Nice!!! nydus worm i'm really liking the idea
    it's kind of like a tremor only it holds units

NYDUS WORM:
    1)nydus worm cost 200min
    2)the nydus worm is an invisable transport unit for the zerg because it moves underground
    3)the nydus can move anywhere without there being creep but moves slow
    4)upgrade from nydus network for speed
    5)takes 3-5second to emerge and can burrow and be used again

pretty much how the old nydus worm use to be having two modes "stationary" and "mobile"

8. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Could you source those images AngelLestat?

9. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

"we gotta do sumthin!"
    "way to go dude!"

if you've seem tremors 1 (kevin bacon)
    u'll definitely remember those annoying epic lines by the kid in the movie lol.. it never gets out of my mind
    like 300's THIS is SPARTA!!!

anyway back with the nydus, i dont see anything wrong with transport of zerg besides that it SUCK! hahaha anyway its not that totally helpless, since the nydus offers a very distinctive way on its own, unlike the climbers or teleports, the nydus can massly load and unload the swarm w/o even the risk of killing the units unlike the dropship or phase prisms where a penalty is received for something like that..

anyway, dont you think that the infester is also one of the new transport ability types in the game considering it can move while borrowed?? think about it its quite devastating when u got your encampment infested with zerg via Infestors underground right?......

10. darks_11

darks_11 New Member

well your right freedom23 exept the fact that your not considering that after you plant the nydus worm on creep it can't move after that. So if you got 4 nydus worms to make a drop there goes 800mins. becuase lets say the enemy stops the invation and attacks the nydus worms right after they are helpless and they can't move because they are considered nydus canals

and by the way the protoss don't risk there unit either or did you forget the warp in campablity they will just lose the phase phrism

11. AngelLestat

AngelLestat New Member

mmm i lost you guys :( My english is not so good, but i can understand atmost all. But I could'nt understand Kimera and freedom messages.

About source? if i am the source? I make those images, and I post it in a host that is mine.
    I dont know if you ask me that..

And this idea no remplace the actual canal idea in SC2, you make the worm from the larva first, and you get this worm (8 limit transport), it can be detect it with any detector while is moving underground, you can kll it in underground too, it moves slow underground (but with more hp), and you can mutate into the actual canal of SC2.

And is more fun, and you get more possibilities in the strategy.
    Dark11, it can be any idea, but i want something more dinamyc that the actual canal of SC2.

I have 3 more images, they are just concept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  12. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Well technically thats how it is suppose to be... being an underground unit means that your worm will definitely be undetectable unless its going for surface..

anyway the idea of the nydus worm bothers me.. a lot now that when you consider how it travels via space when your playing a map like Kerrigans fortress, now how would a worm borrow down to plates of ironsteel? lorewise does it have a very powerful jaw for grinding stones/steels if so then why not just make it a unit that can attack if it can do that right?

Uhmm about ur pix, are those flappers on pic #2?

- well if thats your solution to its flight function, i bet that its one massive powerful wing considering its size..
    It doesnt breath any sort of gas right? it wouldve died if it just submerged into anyform of liquid matter.. (try lava)

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    "It doesnt breath any sort of gas right? it wouldve died if it just submerged into anyform of liquid matter.. (try lava)"

it could still need oxygen (or hydrogen), but its skin could be absorbent enough that it could use the oxygen(or hydrogen) in the water to breath.

anyway i like this worm compared to the Nydus worm that we have right now which is just an improved Nydus canal. in fact its too much of a building right now to be considered a unit.

14. darks_11

darks_11 New Member

I agree this nydus worm idea would be a solution to the zerg transportation problem
    i hope blizzard puts this idea in the game

15. AngelLestat

AngelLestat New Member

Nydus Worm Idea

Undetectable?? I never said that. I said that they can be detected with any detector unit or just radar, etc.

I will try do a complete explain becoz there are many things that I am not mention in my first post.

OK, first to all, these are just pictures of how I will like that the game was, but I know that some pictures sound little unlikely. (I suppose for the game engine but i am not sure) but there are just concepts.

This worm is not better than Phase prism or Medivac, for that reason! if you want you can mutate it (with an extra cost) into the actual Nydus Worm Canal idea of SC2.
    But it help you a lot in the start of the game, becoz if you want move only one Dron to an hill with minerals or an island, you dont need to wait to get a canal + the overlord biomater, all the animation of the worm, only for move the dron to a highler terrain, or just another unit. This kind of fast task for the canal sound very tedious.
    So, you can make this worm from a larva (requeriment, i leave that to balance), this worm has 150 ~ HP, it moves to the aprox a half speed of a medivac dropship, but it has 350 HP while remains and moves in underground (remember that a ground unit takes more damage that an air unit) You can detected it with any detector. You can transport until 8 hydralisk or 12 zerlings, etc (no ultralisk).

Now, if it is not possible to program this worm so you can cross into different fields like space, canyons, etc. It is also useful for move your army between hills, and try to do some surprice approaches, and you can add an EAT abilitie that allow you eat a medium unit with delay. When you need a better transport, you can mutate the worm, and it will appear into the Nydus Network like an extra canal for use.

In the case that the worm can cross into different fields:
    You can not have different animation to different maps i guess, soo to cross land to land (no matter if is space, or water, air, lava, etc) the solution would be with an impuse (double speed in a straight line, swim animation), if you ask how it will be possible?
    Well, you can not analyse everything in SC, becoz you will found very weird stuffs (like how the actual canal it does?) but is just a game.
    But i can give you an example.

For water, "the worm cross always in all maps in the same deep", so if water effect is above it, you will see the blur transparent effect, so it will look like is underwater swiming.
    For space, you will see that moves with the swim animation until reach the other side (space no gravity, so totally posible).
    For Lava, well blizzard said that Zerg Char volcanic planet has 800C, so I dont see any trouble for that, it can cross under or above lava.
    For Air, well, you need to use your imagination there XD, how overlords fly? they said with a psiquic power, or you can give it little wings in all cross animations.
    So, in all cases the same animation, and you dont need change the programing for different maps.
    We maybe have another problem with the actual engine, when the worm is crossing lands, can be hit it?
    I am very sure that it can not be hit it for ground attaks for engine problems.
    But maybe this problem can be solve making it target of air attacks (his HP is 150 becoz is not underground)

If you ask about overlord ability. This worm transport is very limit in an advance game, so you will need the actual canal idea anyway. And the overlord ability no only work for the Nydus Canal, now with this ability you can do structures or defences in any place of the map, without need to do a hatchery first. And you can use biomatter for some creep strategy or just damage enemies structures.

So, this unit can solve the early zergs movility, it add dinamic to the game and possibilities to do differents strategies.
    It also give a higler balance to the Canal Idea, becoz the canal cost it will be a little highler, and you dont need to use it anymore like the final strike posibility. Where you win or you loose.
    For get balance is only a matter of adjusting some costs, requeriment tier or stats.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  16. sc.rew

sc.rew New Member

The biggest problem with the worm as a real mobile transport unit is the animation while it is moving.
    Should the worm always be connected to the nydus network/the entrance (which wouldn't make sense since all worms are somehow connected) and get bigger and bigger while you are sending it around the map? With that it would become much more easier to detect because it is so huge.
    Also, the worm wouldn't be hidden (if it is clocked after all) if it moves over cliffs or between platforms and would be detected by anything.
    If the worm isn't always connected to the entrance and maybe has the size of an overlord/what ever it would end in the same question about the animation while moving between cliffs.

Right now the worm works the same way as the original canal, which shouldn't make much difference after all because you could notice the worm before it erupts and now you can notice the creep dropping overlord (except if you play as zerg) even before the worm starts to erupt.

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

im gettin confused readin all bout worms,.. anyway ill just hope that there will be answers from d next blizzcon

Please..

18. Saracen

Saracen New Member

Australia
    Nydus Worm

After scouring the battlenet forums and other related ones I think this is an important note to the DEVELOPERS...

The Nydus Worm should NOT require CREEP to emerge, however if it doesnt emerge on creep it has a dying out factor?

Also IMO, to make a Nydus worm, u need to dedicate 1 Larvae to it and it evolves into a Nydus worm (over time - so you see it grow into phases, the disadvantage is that u have 1 larvae out of order which works as a balance issue)

So when this Larvae matures into a Nydus Worm, the user can click something and the worm can be sent underground, so this way theres a time delay and the nydus worm slowly grows from a small larvae to a mature nydus worm, then u can click "submerge" and then the transport ability is there...

Hard to digest but should make sense..

Saracen.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  19. darks_11

darks_11 New Member

what do you mean by a dying out factor
    &
    that the larvae is out of order do you mean no more larvae will come out of the hatchery until the nydus worm is made

also will the nydus worm be able to hold unlimited zerg units up to 255 and will the nydus worms be interconected also will you be able to withdraw them(nydus worms) once you emerge your nydus worm from the ground

20. Saracen

Saracen New Member

Australia
    dying out as in a burn out rate, so it loses hp until its demise... unless creep is dumped around it.

regarding the larvae, what i mean is if u chose to make a nydus worm u will need one larvae commited to its cocoon for a tech upgrade amount so 1 larvae is out of ure control till a certain time so ~10mins, that way the hatchery has 2 functional larvae till the nydus worm is mature, then the hatchery can begin producing 3 again...

the nydus worm should have a limit so 3 ultra lisks or something or 1 queen, or 20 banelings etc..

my suggestion wont really make sense if theyre all joined, so u'd need seperate worms doing seperate duties... unless u can make it only one nydus worm is buildable and the the nydus worm can pack-up and relocate leaving a nydus CANAL behind which can hold an unlimited amount of zergz...

its a tough one no doubt, but i'm sure blizzard will pull it off.