1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad Defensive Structures

Discussion in 'Terran' started by NateSMZ, Dec 18, 2007.

Nomad Defensive Structures

Discussion in 'Terran' started by NateSMZ, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I would say that a mine has about the cost of scarab fired from a reaver. I can't remember the exact cost, but since it has a similar function, this seems all right. That cost was balanced by the Blizzard team itself, so it should be fine.

As for the damage, I would say that it has to be a lot higher then 20. It has to capable of taking out any standard ground unit in 1 blow (marine, hydralisk) or a little stronger one in 2 blows (zealot). And the hit points should be high, but not 100, that's to much. Maybe about 50.

2. JUJ

JUJ New Member

At the opening poster: Personally I think that the word semi-permanent is there because it doesn't have as much hp as other units do. I agree that the video makes you think otherwise, but they have probably buffed the turret to show off the turrets' abilities to fend off enemies, I mean just look at the Carrier's page where they had three carriers destroying a Battlecruiser under at least a half minute whereas in SC1 they would finish it off in seconds.

3. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

the scarab used to cost 15 minerals
    @forsaken
    i think that the attack should maybe be 40 or else people are just going to mass them :-\

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Please read through the rest of the topic before posting JUJ, you're post is kinda off-topic at the moment.
    If you want to react to the first post, state that in your post, don't start typing right away. ;)
    Anyways, welcome to the forums!. :thumbup:

As for the whole temporary factor of these turrets, maybe they have a limited ammunition supply or something like that to limit the use of them. That would be interesting, since you could ad an ability to the Nomad to refill the ammo, so you can increase the lifespan of each turret. A bit like in my underground tower idea, which can be seen in the previous page.

@longlivefenix
    You are probably right about that. But if you would want to give then an offensive role in your tactic, you are still reeling heavily on your Nomads to properly use them, and a Nomad will probably be one of the most expensive units a Terran player can build. Just look at the costs of the old Science Vessel.

When a Nomad is destroyed, your Towers are practically useless when empty. If you spend to much money on them and rely mostly on them, the enemy will simply pick off your Nomads and defeat you with relative ease.

5. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

that sounds like a cool ability for the nomad to have (repair turret)
    but i think that the nomad should just have a repair for mechanical units that is used by the nomad
    like the medic (but air and for vehicles)
    i think that it should work about half as fast (or else the battle cruisers would be way overrated and it makes sense the reduced repair time because its probably harder to repair a vehicle with complex mechanical parts)
    and that only one nomad could repair one unit at a time

i know its a lot of limitations but i think that right now the unit is kinda weak

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    It is kinda weak, but you have to remember that it only has a support role on the battlefield. It should be a bit weak on it's own. Players shouldn't be able to win battles with only support units. That's like a Zerg player winning a battle by only using spawn Broodlings on everything and then win by sending in infested Terrans... That just shouldn't be possible.

But wouldn't it be nice if a Turret could be restocked with ammo from an Ammunitions Depot, yuo know, the building that is required to build Thors. It has no other purpose at the moment, so this would fit right in. You would need to let your Nomads (or SCV's) go to the depot to pick up ammo, after that they can bring it to an empty Turret. (for an amount of minerals / gas of course)

7. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

tehehe
    by any chance are you talking about me ;)
    infesteds through the back door, yay!

but anyways
    that seems like a lot of work for one turret :p
    maybe something where supplies are airdropped next to the turret?
    that would be kinda cool where a crate parachutes down next to the turret
    i think that it would be activated by the turret and could only be used once

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I guess it would be a lot of work, but it was just an idea. There are lots of possibilities out there!
    Maybe we shouldn't focus on the ammo and let Blizzard figure that out on it's own. ;) Let's get back to my idea. It still isn't perfect, in it's current for, it's so unbalanced that it isn't worthy of ever being in the game. ;)

9. JUJ

JUJ New Member

Ah forgot to put it in, my mistake.

Anyways, I am thinking of a system what makes them lose health while a Nomad or an SCV isn't nearby makes more sense, and it is more simple. Explanation: Turrets have a fragile structure so they must be maintained by the Nomad or the SCV. Unlike repair it wouldn't cost minerals (well maybe SOME minerals but not much) so it wouldn't really have an impact on economy.

10. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

I think restocking with ammo and stuff makes it more complicated. As Zergalicous stated, the turrets are supposed to be quick, simple, temporary defenses. And A healing turret(unless it replaces nano repair) would be very redundant, wouldn't it? You have the medic and the SCV, and unless the turret replaces it, the nano-repair.

I think for the mines, a minefield or something would be better. Or maybe a turret would be already stocked, and it'd die once it ran out of ammo?

Just curious, anyone else interested in seeing the nano-repair and defensive matrix come in turrets? If so, would it be made from minerals/gas, or energy?

11. Reaper87

Reaper87 New Member

I think they would have a time limit but that would be cool if they had a weaker version that lasted longer. Mabye they could have a ground+air gun turrent.

12. cohnee

cohnee New Member

I think that their temp nature will be ammo related. They'll have an energy bar, and for each second they're firing they'll lose a point of energy.

13. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Interesting idea about combining them together.

It would be cool if the nomad could use its energy to resupply the turret's energy to allow it to last longer. This would add more use to the turret and make the nomad a more valuable asset and target for all players.

14. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    *bump*

This was one of the most interesting topics in ages... Why isn't anyone responding anymore?

@EonMaster
    I don't think it would be a good thing if the Nomad would have to stay at the battlefield all the time to support the turrets. It should be a more hit-and-run like tactic, mainly because the Nomad is pretty weak and shot down easily. So a Nomad constantly having to power a turret seems a bad thing, unless the turret gains some more firepower from it.

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    From the latest batch:

"The Mine Drone is a stationary defense structure, which places four mines around it, and then immediately cloaks both the mines and the structure. Similar to the Spider Mines from the original StarCraft, these mines will wreck havoc on an incoming army without the ability to see cloaked units. The mines do a base damage of 50 plus an additional 50 damage to armored units. On top of that, the Mine Drone replaces the mines after they detonate, temporarily revealing the Mine Drone structure."

What Fo®Saken suggested before:

What the **** Fo®Saken, that's just awesome! :powerup:
    I wouldn't be surprised if karune or someone saw your idea/suggestion in this thread, they are so alike!

16. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    It is surprising how close he was to the actual mechanics of the nomad's other ability. And about a month and a half before the actual release.

Excellent guess my friend :good:

17. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Hey Forsaken works for blizz :) That is one really close guess. So.. What do you think will be next revealed? :D

18. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    There will be a Zerg unit which is called the sumolisk, it can push large units away and eat smaller ones... lol :p But it is great to see that my idea is in the gI think that this will be my favourite unit. :D p.s. Who said our forum was being ignored? XD

19. Rex

Rex New Member

Fo®Saken works for Blizzard? If he does, COOL!

20. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Of course I do not work for blizzard. If I was I would not have been able to post that stuff and still be alive at this moment. XD