1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad Defensive Structures

Discussion in 'Terran' started by NateSMZ, Dec 18, 2007.

Nomad Defensive Structures

Discussion in 'Terran' started by NateSMZ, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I like the shield generator idea, reminds me of Star Wars Galactic Battle Grounds. But it should only apply to units as Terran structures have high HP.
    Although it may seem right, it would give the Terrans another reason to turtle so...

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

@ ekulio - the green shapes are the turrets appearing. And I believe the blue explosion is a Probe or another Protoss unit dying.

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Most terrans already turtle to some extent. Bunker/turret/tank combos are common in terran sc1 games.

Many other things in sc2 will make some people turtle:

The colossus/stalker/hit-without-being-seen- could make people turtle because they will but them on cliffs near choke points are attack aproaching armies as they build thier economy safely at thier base.

carrier/observer/not-being-seen- same as with the last example, camp at choke points.

sensor tower/tank/bunker- choke points. Detection and massive bombardment when units come into range. Great for base devence.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Turtling at choke points will fail now due to traversing units, so I wouldn't advise it. (but if theres a large gap in the earth or something it'll work unless they use drops, nydus or phases)

5. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Turtling is hard to do as it is but Terrans are designed to have a advantage in a defensive position. The trick is not to overdo it...

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Turtle players usually make the ultimate defense then go air cuz their base is blocked off everywhere.
    Atleast Terren can come out their base since they can lift buildings and go underground with the depots. But wouldn't that mean Protoss could now turtle and warp their army out if there pylon power at the main choke?

Back on topic. I wonder if the turrets are effective against structures...

7. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Doubt it. Wouldn't make much sense unless there was a rocket turret. I still down understand how a marine can take down a building. Lol

I think Terran have the state of the art turtling equipment. What with their sensor domes(Or whatever), tanks, bunkers, supply depots, now the nomad turrets to hold enemies off while defenses are being built, and their extensive detecting abilities. Seems like Blizzards shouting at us to turtle as terran.

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    That is because the terrans are about base defence. It's natural to have them with the best base defence. Until later tech,the best terran offense is marine and medic armies, so they develop defences to protect them until later tech can be researched.

Also,turtleing gives your enemy an advantage as well, map-control. while you are turtling and strengthening your base, your opponent is getting expansions to get a huge economy. By the time you are ready to push out, they have control over most of the map.

9. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

But they have mobility and detection on their side. Comast every once in a while. Set up a few radar domes. Uh Oh! the enemy's setting up a base! Bust out the reapers and the vikings! I guess it depends on how good they are.

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Exactly, everything depends on the ability of the players involved.

The Nomad.. hmm seems pretty interesting. They can be used for mobile defensive capabilities AND you could do lots of stuff with those towers like preventing a possible expansion, and you could even do a mini-attack on the enemies' workers to reduce their economics a little bit.
    Nice concept, though I would add at least one extra feature to it. I came up with 2 possibilities:

1- A second ability, related to its capability to construct. How about giving him repair abilities? He could be a sort of flying SCV that could repair mechanical units. Actually, the description on the website relates the Nomad with the SCV as his small cousin or something like that. And It would combo perfectly with practically any siege you can come up with (Siege tanks, vikings, even thors, would benefit from this skill)

2- Giving him a grappling hook that would hook a single mechanical unit, and would transport it. The transported unit would not be able to attack during this stance. Enemies wouldn't be able to attack the grappled unit, but if the nomad is destroyed while the units is grappled, both units will be destroyed.

Just some ideas I thought about recently.

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It already repairs mechs. And why use the hook of you got Dropships.

12. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well, first of all because we still don't know if thors will fit into dropships. Maybe they will now, as they now told us that they will look smaller. But hell, I'd love to see mechs hanging on grappling hooks lol. How about grappling a siege tank in siege mode, and dropping him in the same way? That would be cool.
    Regarding the repair, I didn't know that. It's good to know.

13. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

75 energy to insta repair 200 health on mech.

Regarding the towers, I just watched Futureweapons and thought it'd be awesome if the turrets had two different round feeds. ONe would be like a fast gattling gun, and the other a slow, missile/rocket/sniper/canister shot. Something like that. A heavy and a light counter, all you need to do is toggle.

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    But then they are getting more personalized, the turrets are supposed to be quick and simple.

15. cohnee

cohnee New Member

By the sounds of it, the Nomad will have some other structures it can build, which sounds great. I'm all for proper direct combat abilities over spells.

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Hmm, new idea.

What if the Nomad could build a turret, or building-like thing, that produces mines comparable to the spider mines that were used by the vulture? Since the Vulture is gone, and the Nomad is all about defenses, why not? I have already seen a lot of ideas for static defenses, but try to think outside the box for a minute.

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    You mean that it would spawn movable Spider Mines, or something? Or are they directly burrowed in a certain perimeter? And would each mine cost resources? Please explain your idea in detail.

18. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Hmm, it just came up to me, I didn't really feel like creating a whole story around it, like in my other ideas.
    (but those were in separate topics)

But here you are:

Name:
    Subterranean Mine Tower

Function:
    Lay mines in a pixed perimeter.

How it works:

When build by the Nomad, the Tower digs itself into the ground. When finished, it is just a little hatch sticking out of the ground, so it is invisible to the enemy if it doesn't use any detectors.

It needs to be supplied with mines first, this is done by letting the tower rise up above the ground, so that the Nomad can reach it. For an amount of minerals, and some waiting time, the Nomad can fill the mechanism with mines then. When it is full, it lowers itself into the ground again.

When filled up and submerged, it releases it's mines automatically when an enemy is in its range. The hatch opens, temporarily making the mechanisms visible, and some sort of Spider Mine comes out to rush at the enemy. You can also specify a certain point for the Tower to send mines to, but these mines are more expensive, due to the complicated mechanism, or something like that.

Costs:
    You have to pay for each placed Tower. You have to pay for each separate mine as they are restocked by the Nomad. Some mines cost more then others.

Purpose of this idea:
    The Nomad is a multi-purpose unit, but adding only fire support constructions to it's building abilities doesn't seem very multi-purpose to me. Adding a real defensive capability seems like a good idea to me. ;D

What do you guys think? (especially Gasmaskguy, you asked for this ;))
    :gossip::gossip:

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Haha, it sounds good. :) I like that it is invisible.
    It would sort of work like a Reaver, right? Sending its "scarabs" at everything close enough.
    I don't think that it need different kinds of mines though, since the mine tower itself is a different kind of turret, if you know what I mean. If you want something that serves another purpose, create another sort of turret. How much hp would the mine tower have, and how much would a mine cost? Not more than 25 I hope (But it depends on damage and splash radius) .

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    This sounds like an interesting idea.

Invisability is nice, since the enemy can't scout it out easily before they attack. It would be an excellent way for you to test your opponent's attack micro/marco abilities.

As for damage, I would say 20 damage with a spash radius a little smaller than the landmine. It should have low life, about 100, since most cloaked units in sc1 had lower life than non-cloaked units.

Also, would peoeple be able to attack it when it's underground or only when it is deploying mines?