1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new unit regarding the new shielding system

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Aurora, Nov 1, 2007.

?

With what should the Sield Inductor restore shields/create extra shielding?

1. With it's own shield points.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. With energy points.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

new unit regarding the new shielding system

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Aurora, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    The time bomb is different now than it was in the first demo. Now it creates a bubble around the targeted area which nullifies all ranged attacks made inside and slows units inside to the extent that they can't move out until the time bomb is over. At least I think it's something like that.

2. C20

C20 New Member

Right, thanks, then yeah, great idea #1

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

that is exactly the same, is slows down enemy movvement in the field, and if a weapon crosses nearly half of the field it halts and becomes useless

4. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

@ ItzaHexGor - oh, I was trying not to post the full concept because this thread is about his idea, not mine - but as I imagined it, Meditation wouldn't take energy - it would just render the High Templar immobile and cease his own regeneration in return for boosting the regeneration of all units within a radius around him

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hey I just thought of an ability.

Energy surge

Put this on the stasis orb or mothership or whatever mechanical caster they have and when fired the unit loses some shields and energy and fires an orb to wherever you click where it bursts recharging some energy and shielding to the units in the AoE.

It will also affect enemy units so be careful with placement

Think of it as a reverse EMP

6. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i was just thinking of something cool: what if when you blew up a pylon all nearby buildings would lose shields

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Would it be the destruction of the pylon acting like an EMP or would buildings just not have shields when unpowered?

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

no shields when unpowered but instant restoration to the old lvl when power restores

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I like the reverse EMP idea a lot! It is a great way to implement a way of recharging Protoss shields while they are in combat.
    @ NateSMZ. High Templar are often one of the most targeted units on the battlefield. I don't think that giving the Protoss player would want them to just sit there, immobile. If this ability was supposed to be used during the battle, it would be useless because the enemy would just pick off the High Templar. It would be useless out of combat because of the new way of Protoss units regenerating their shields.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I changed it. :thumbup:

Uhm, isn't an EMP just a big energy surge that disrupts electric powered devices?
    I don't think you can repower stuff this way. This idea is a little weird in my opinion...
    But with a few changes it could be great!

I will ad a different style for the Force Field ability later, because I don't have any time for thay now.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It isn't actually an Electo-Magnetic Pulse, it just has the opposite effects to an Electro-Magnetic Pulse. It would work in a completely different way, restoring shields (not restoring energy though) as opposed to removing them.

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    And how would this energy be picked up and stored then? With some kind of weird antenna? ???
    It sound pretty lame that way. Maybe that special crystal stuff ht protoss have could help. (that kaydirin stuff, or whatever way it is spelled)

Edit:
    I've added a poll to figure out which idea for power usage is the best one, it expires after four days.
    Then I will change the poll to see how the new "shield restore EMP" thingy should work.

I really hope this will clear things up a little. After each poll I will delete the option which is voted for the least. (as I already explained in the first post in the edit)

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    There's no knowing what Protoss technology is capable of. There doesn't have to be a specific way for the Energy Surge to work, because the Protoss have powers far greater than the Terran. It's like saying 'how do the Protoss Shield Battery restore Protoss shields?' The Protoss didn't need any antennas for the Shield Battery to restore their shields in StarCraft1, so why would they need antennas for the same purpose in StarCraft2? It isn't a lame idea, it's just that you can't see how it would be done. It would be done in the exact same way as the Shield Battery of StarCraft1, except the player chooses an area that would be effected, instead of choosing a unit to be effected. The Energy Surge is the best idea that has been posted in this thread so far. By a long way.

14. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Whatever... I just want things to be at least a little logical. That's all. You are right that it's a good idea, but isn't the unit itself the best idea so far. ;)

To add to this idea, which I really like, please don't think I don't, isn't it an idea to let this ability cost ALL of the energie points. Since it can't determine which units are in the area of effect by itself, and between the moment if firing and the "explosion" units might have taken more damage. So it would be only logical to let it use all of its power on this one.

What do you guys think?
    :gossip: :gossip:

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It could either use up all the energy or cost about 100 energy or something. It only depends on how effective the spell is. If it instantly regenerates all of the effected Protoss shields, then it should cost all of the energy, but if it only heals the shields for about 50 or so, then it should only take up 100 to 150 energy. After the initial concept, it all depends on balancing. You can't give the exact figures for a spell, becasue chances are it won't be balanced.

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    That's true, but I thinck it should be like a percentage. Things would be less complicated that way. If it still has like 100 points and it affects 4 units, then they each would regain 25 shield points. Isn't that a good one? (Yes Fo®Saken, it is! :powerup: ;))

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think it should recharge 25% of the shields and energy of all units in the area but only be able to be cast twice before the energy reserves are empty

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't think that regenerating energy would be a good idea, because it would make spells like Psionic Storm spammable. If if regenerated energy as well, then it should only be able to be cast once, and it shouldn't effect others of the same caster, as in other Stasis Orbs, Motherships, Shield Inductors or whatever. If they could, and the spell recharged 25% energy and cost half the casters energy, then the player could have 3 of these casters, constantly spamming this spell. It should work like the Arbiter's Cloaking aura, as in it can effect all other units, but cannot effect other Arbiters.

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well psi storm costs more than 25% of the templar's energy so to cast you would have to hit the templar with to recharges which would remove all the energy from the recharger.

Also I was planning on not having the vehicle with the ability on it be affected

20. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

It's the same basic technique the Phase Prism uses... no reason it wouldn't work. Sure, it makes the unit a priority target, but the enemy has to get past the units being charged first. Also, it would allow for quick cycling of squads at full power. ie: to get the most out of normal regen, they have to disengage from combat completely - but if there's a High Templar behind the lines recharging whoever gets close to him, then forces only have to withdraw slightly, and can return to the fray much quicker.