1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TVT gameplay. with banshee portrait and sound.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, May 27, 2008.

New TVT gameplay. with banshee portrait and sound.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, May 27, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ blind_outlaw. As they are in the video, I agree that they'd definitely have to be shrunk. If they are, I seriously hope that they're remodelled into something that suits that size, as the current model definitely does not. However due to the Thor already having a fantastic model, I would much rather its cost and supply be increased so there aren't so many running around the map. Obviously I wouldn't want a limit to the number of Thors that one Terran player can have, but they should be made too expensive to practically swarm them like the two players in the gameplay video were.

@ Wlck742. Cheers. Do you know whether it's an upgrade from the Armoury or if it's a completely separate building? Because they definitely do look similar.

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    AFAIK it's a completely different building. It was in the tech tree from Blizzcon, that's how I recognized it. Of course there's a very good chance it's not what it used to be.

Attached Files:

• dsr.jpg
      dsr.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Thor's size and price is alright. That was tier 3 battles. I'd expect both sides to have 6-10 Siege Tanks every battle, but notice how they have almost as many Thors as Tanks. The Thors are already really expensive, that's why they couldn't afford any Tanks.

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Cheers, Wlck742.

@ GasMaskGuy. The Thors were obviously more worthwhile than Tanks, which is why the players would have chosen Thors over Tanks. Either way, their numbers need to be limited. Having so many Thors dominating the map isn't the way to go.

5. blind_outlaw

blind_outlaw New Member

Australia
  6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Tanks were effective against Thors, but Thors were effective against almost everything, which was why they dominated the map. Even if there was just a way to spread them out a bit more it would be better, like increasing their impact size, or whatever its called, compared to other Thors or something. Just as long as they aren't all cramped and clustered together.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If Thors are shrunk then they become Goliaths, and I think Vikings are much better since you have way more control and availablilty to micro.

I don't think the hitzone size is the problem, its the fact they move from left to right so smoothly, the original Thor had to stop and turn, this one moves like a big Viking.
    I'll be really pissed off if they get rid of the Viking for the Thor, since you all love the Thor and want it to be shrunk :|

Thor is messing up the Terran big time, first it apprently overlapped with the tank now its becoming a Goliath then its gonna end up as a Viking which cannot fly.

Also some of you pointed out its a tier 3 game and you expect them to use the big tier 3 units, this is what Blizzard was evading and even in Sc1 they achieved their goal as tier 1 and 2 units where very useful late game as where tier 3 but the fact you don't see one Viking, Marine and one Banshee obviously says something doesn't it?

8. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

So far, my favorite line has been the one at 3:40 or so:
    Banshee: Now you're speaking my language!
    *missile flurry*
    Banshee: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

What was that red line running through the base on the ground, visible around 3:30?

9. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I like the new lines. But like most of you, I don't like the thor, especially its fast movement speed.

At 2:27, the blue siege tank lost a bit more than half its hitpoints from 2 siege shots. I reckon they only die from 4, which is quite odd because it is supposed to have heavy armour and a hefty bonus against that, which I think totals to 100 damage. If this is true then it means the tank has at least 350hp :eek:

@ Nikzad: That's the detection radius of the dome or whatever it's called. It detects units in the fog of war as well.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It wasn't sieged, it was attacking them on assult mode and the red units were attacking the Thor.

11. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    That was siege attack, you can see the red ones unfold. Plus they shot outside the range of the blue, which was packed up and started unpacking right after being attacked. 2:27 in the vid.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Wtf you're right. I noticed its hitpoints instantly replinished after the first set of shots.

13. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Banshee's portrait looks like a dude. My impression is, "Captain Falcon" I am hoping they're not considering going for a male Banshee pilot... it wouldn't make sense considering the name.

Itza: In SC2, units will have more different types of responses when you select them. As you noticed, units respond differently when selected individually than when they're selected in groups. Also, units will tell you when they're losing a battle ("I'm in deep!")

I don't like about half of the SCVs sounds- in a couple of cases, its voice is hard to distinguish from the Siege Tank's ("Yeh scared me!") and even the Marine, "SCV ready." I definitely prefer the higher, more exaggerated version from SC1.

@Psionicz: I didn't notice any HP replenishment going on with the Siege Tanks.

4:35-4:38: Is it just me or does that Thor appear to be using some kind of flamethrower attack?

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Theres a single Jackal. And that my friends is clear evidence that the Thor is bad. Can't even see units...

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

its because theres like 3-5 thoros in there. same as having 5-10 carrier with interceptors flying all over in sc1 you can't see most of your ground units.

also i dont think there will be mass thors in real pro games, except for money maps and random fun games.

i think the size is good only the role is bad. gta mech with that size?

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I wanted to say there might be a Jackal there but... yeah, couldn't see it. I really can't stand the Thor....

zeratul: Carriers cost more than Thors. There is no excuse to be obscuring the battlefield with such a small amount of firepower... with a ground unit!

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ 10-Neon. That's just awesome. I hardly ever thought about it with StarCraft1, but now that I'm paying closer attention to it, there are so many instances in StarCraft1 where the units talk in the first person singular. Things like the SCV saying 'I hear ya', the Vulture saying 'I read ya... Sir(!)!' the Firebat saying 'you got my attention', and so on and so forth. It's not really one of the things that requires fixing, but it's awesome that they are.

@ zeratul11. As you can clearly see, it's not a Ground-to-Air mech, it's a Ground-to-All mech, which in my opinion, makes much more sense than a pure Ground-to-Ground mech, especially when it's of that size. I was really opposed to it when I first heard of the change, but after watching it here and seeing of its functions, it looks almost perfect. My one problem with it is the number of them on the battlefield.

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its too slow for GtA, you think it can keep up with Mutalisks attacking you everywhere?
    Return it to its former sexy self being SCV built, slow, hard hitting, high hitpoints, new attack for its back cannons and change the Jackal to GtA, it isn't really a great unit right now as I can only see it being used vs Zealots and Zerglings when, IMO, Reapers and Vikings can handle both of those with a little micro.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It has been made much faster than it was before, as we've seen in these gameplay videos, so it's much more manoeuvrable than it used to be. It has no need to keep up with Mutalisks and the likes, as the Thor has more range than them. It's like how Archons were so good against Mutalisks in StarCraft1. The Archon was slower then Mutalisks, though obviously still faster than the current Thor, but it had longer range so the Mutalisks couldn't get near them without being deep-fried in psionic energies. The Archon also had an area of effect attack allowing for it to deal with the Mutalisks' numbers, and the Thor does as well.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, if an Archon with a range of 2 can counter Mutas, imagine what a Thor with a range of 10 can do.