1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Thor Thread

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Apr 17, 2008.

New Thor Thread

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ChickeN Wing

ChickeN Wing New Member

That not really what I meant. I meant that the shells would spread out as they gained distance, like a shotgun.

So a unit standing directly infront of the would be hit by all of them, but if it was further away it will get hit by a few while the rest land nearby. So if you you saw a bunch of zerglings coming towards it you could use it from far away to cover a large area and blow them up all at once but if wanted to attack say a building you could move up close to it (thus helping the assualt role a little) then use it so the building will be hit by all of the shells and take alot of damage.

Sorry for not being able to explain it well but the only way I can think of to say it simply/clearly is to make it "like a giant shotgun with exploding bullets"

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Sieged tanks do that.

3. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    true but the thor ability would be shorter, and the thor would still be able to move unlike the tank.

4. ChickeN Wing

ChickeN Wing New Member

Maybe it could have a very wide spread? So that way it could also be used to blow bases up if you used several thors at a time.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    But you can blow bases up with Sieged tanks ._.

6. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    ya but can you move while doing it?
    all im saying is that the thor is more mobile can have close to the same firepower as a dozen siege tanks if it a powerful bombard. Of course it would have it different to stop overlapping.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Doesn't that make the game automatic and it has less micro possibilities as you are limited to that arc on attack. With tanks you have full control of what, where and when you attack.
    Moving while you destroy a whole base, an attack by a single unit destroying a whole base is very imbalanced and overpowered, thats warcraftish more than anything.
    Why add somethig where you have less control of?

8. blind_outlaw

blind_outlaw New Member

Australia
    Why not give the Thor's ground attack similar damage to the baneling, plus damage against buildings
    So have the Thor do about 50 damage normally, plus an extra 50 or maybe some more against buildings to allow the Thor to be a defence breaker, with the siege tanks firing from the rear. It can also keep its current anti air ability
    to make it a nice multi tasker

wait a minute, does the siege tank do extra damage against buildings or armoured units? coz that may effect what i just said

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's what the Siege Tank deals at the moment, except with a bonus against all Armoured targets, not just buildings. Siege Tanks deal fifty base damage and an extra fifty against Armoured so having the Thor have its bonus against just buildings would encourage the opponent to take out your Siege Tanks before your Thor meaning that your Thor won't be tanking and taking the damage for the rest of your army.

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

11. Thalion

Thalion New Member

my 2 cents about thor:
    1. SIZE DOES MATTER. If I'll need some meek mechs then I'll take few Vikings in ground mode.
    2. durabilty - 800 hp fits nice here. It'll make Thor distinguishable around battle mess. (Mothership, Queen anyone?)
    3. Ability: THICK ARMOR - resistant to INDIRECT splash damage (cooperation with own sieging forces and somewhat lore-wise)
    4. SCV built, Salvagable but NOT lift off! Can't you transport your scv of the island? Of course you can! You'll need to back up it first, but when it finish construction of Thor, enemy may surrender :p
    5. Moderate to slow locomotive speed (short range + slow movement doesn't work well each with other)
    6. Wide angle of fire but slow turn rate (move+fire)
    7. Short ranged weapons. It would push Thor to move forward first.

I prefer idea of three independently shooting weapons systems (lightning bolts, AA/AG missiles, cannon). Just imagine applied Barrage (=alpha strike) ability to it.
    In general, when Thor starts to assault enemy base it should be hard to stop.

12. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    nice pics way better than your viking pics....jk
    anyway I like the concept for this idea and the names you used, but I'm wondering can the thor still use it's normal attack during the time it activated the ability.
    Also what is the difference between the two?
    IMO one should be a small AOE attack used for small groups, while the other is as powerful attack used for single targets.

13. Gforce

Gforce New Member

maybe, it probably will function like the BC firing the weapon first then resuming its small barrage, but that's just a guess.

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

haha. thats bcoz you like the fat viking better. anyway i just realized that the ingame viking is NOT really that fat, some parts creates an illusion of making it look fat. there is a clear screenshot of the viking in a perfect view, and i see its not really that fat. the one with the thor at the center and with marines and vikings around it. ^^

i dont know how its normal attack would work with the ability. right now i dont really like the thors normal attack, its fires 2 beam at the same time in a v shape formation which looks awkward. i was planning to make a new thor normal attack and change the animation and its mechanics as well just to go with my new thor abilities. i need more time.

anyway i think gforce is right it will be ok if it function just like the bc, if you use the ability, it wont fire any normal attacks.

and about the attack difference. well i really not have decided yet. there are lot of possibilities and yours seems fitting as well. the lightning bolt attack could be a strong single target attack. the hamedo would get a small aoe. i dont know.

and i have not yet decided if its a customizable upgrade just like the yamato and plasma torpedo. i just made 2 just in case the other one is not good enough.

15. -LT-

-LT- New Member

OMG!!! That's awesome! You should work for Blizzard!

16. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I hope that if a Blizzard employee has a look on this forum and falls int the "Thor thread" he will not be disgusted by all of our discussion.

I hope he will not ask to the devs to cut the Thor to make the game easier

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thanks LT.

requesting for the mod to recover back my new thor thread. (i photoshoped it and really had a hard time doing and thinking about it, i say please give it a completely new thread to discuss.)

and this thor thread has many off topics that has nothing to do with my revision of the thors ability. its not like im just going to insert my concept here, it will be complicated, since others will talk others stuffs about the thor.

there are many things to discuss about my thor version alone i will answer and debate all incoming comments and questions... also i will add up more things about it.

i'll try to change the title also. " Custom Photoshop Concept for Thor Special Abilties"

so please.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  18. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I really like this ability so please keep working on it zeratul :)
    Also I was kinda thinking that lightning attack could act more like the AOE attack with a small lightning storm. The only problem would be that it might look like psy storm, depending on the animation.

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes im very much aware of the maljonir ability looking much like the psi storm attack or the archons attack. i will try to some pics of an electric attack for the thor that would look completely different, im thinking a electric pulse shockwave effect not a straight visible attack (tesla coil in RA) just like the current image shows.

about the thor getting AOE? im not sure, i think the thor fits the role of massive damage on single target. like a heavy(ultra, tanks, colossi etc.) unit killer, but weak against mass small enemies. so with that you need to micro the thor and use the ability during the right time. and also will not overlap with the tank and bcs plasma torperdo.

ok. mod? can i get back my thread now?

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    IMO, if the Thor goes the route of having one ability for high damage vs single target and one ability for AoE, then it overlaps with the BC. Yet the BC would be better due to it being an air unit, having advantages in mobility. The Thor's focus should be shifted to tanking, as it is something that can't be found on any other Terran unit, as well as something that Terran could really find useful.

I don't understand why some people would rather the Thor be salvageable than be able to lift-off, there are many reasons why salvage on the Thor is not desirable. Here are some:

1) The epitome of Terran technology just packed up and rebuilt at every battlefront like a box of Legos is infinitely cheesy.

2) The time required to de-construct make salvage generally useless in practice. (This coming from Joneagle)

3) The time required to reconstruct compounds the problem.

4) If the salvage and build times on the Thor was short enough for it to even be viable at all, it creates cheese as it makes the Thor the fastest transportable unit in the game. It effectively takes away Thor's balancing factor of low mobility since you are not really required to rebuild the Thor with the same SCV that salvaged it. So in practice, you can start salvaging the Thor at a remote location and build a new one somewhere else with a different SCV, this is like giving the Thor a teleport ability, IMBA. To balance this, the Thor would need to suck somewhat in relation to its tech tier, that's not what people want with the Thor. People aren't thinking about the consequences and effects on balance as they ask for salvage. You either have a powerful Thor that keeps the low mobility, or you have a Thor that can instantly reappear everywhere on the map but is weak overall, you can't have both.

Over the long course of time that the lift-off vs salvage(or anything else) debate has spanned, I have yet to see a single meaningful argument as to why lift-off is bad, ineffective, or imbalanced, and why salvage is a better idea. I'm all ears, err... eyes.