1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Thor Thread

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Apr 17, 2008.

New Thor Thread

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

2. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

ive seen it and mjolnir strike is of some relevance since its a "Thor" anyway... but i dont see the purpose of losing the Airsplash attack.. and thinking of it makes sense coz "Thor is a god of thunder and definitley it should overpower the skies with its lightning bolts and technically that is what is the thor standing for now, but just with no lightning bolts and stuff... the idea of having an alternate weapon in replacement for its skill like the mjolnir/halmedo is quite overpowered in my opinion... i think that for it needs some sort of more balancing coz 20 seconds is still a long time and the penalties arent quite synergizing with it coz...

1. the recharge battery takes 5 minutes.. = doesnt make sense for the thor as its a massive size for an energy source and considering that it is nuclear powered, i dont see the reason for that junk of bulk to powerdown..

2. the movement penalty.. = being back to turtle phase again will possibly be a resolve but that will also be a double edged advantage since it can also be its greatest weakness, shouldnt terrans be also knowledgeable of their weaknessess to at least minimize them??? if its a mech anyway, i cant see why they cant make it move like an SCV with boosters anyway for better speeds...

3. the skill role will overlap with the Yamato battlecruiser as a one shot heavy hitter... the bombard is kind of intended for structures i think and siege tanks for medium + large size units.....

3. blind_outlaw

blind_outlaw New Member

Australia
    since we are speaking of the Thor again, has anyone else seen the new up and coming starcraft graphic novels? the Frontlines series
    aparently one of these novels is entitled "Thundergod" and is said to be based on a Thor and its crew

i saw this on the starcraft wikia and i have no further info about it, so if anyone else has seen this or has any info please do tell :)

4. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I don't think this has been discussed yet, but,
    Is anyone else worried about the Thor becoming over used?
    Check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1y2f-Y29Vs

The Thor looks like its the unit of choice for both players.
    TvT look more like Mech Warrior than Strarcraft.

I don't think the Thor can be countered easily enough,
    instead of building a counter and mirco manging, building more Thors seems to be the solution.
    I would most likely be guilt of this too...

On a side note, the Battlecruiser seems to be a lot more effective individually than in SC1.

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Nah. You have to keep in mind both of them were very new to SC2. They might be pros, but they're still new to the game. So naturally they go for the old unit combos and the biggest units in the game, aka Thor. I think it's more of the players' skill (Lol. I just called a couple of the best pro players nubs) than the game's problem.

6. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    Also the thor is suppose to be pretty expensive so if players are overusing the thor then either they are already winning ny a far amount economically or then they are only focusing on building thors and not improving the rest of their army, which would probably cause them to lose. Either way its unlikely that thors will be massed in completive games.
    The above mentioned players are new to the game so they can't be expected to know what to build, like wick said.

7. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Thats a very valid point. And I suppose there are SC1 players who just amass BC's and go to teh win.
    Do we have an estimate of price for this bad boy?
    SC Armory says

300 mins
    300 gas
    100s build time
    6 pop

Thats reassuring too, actually. So, I withdraw my concern.

8. blind_outlaw

blind_outlaw New Member

Australia
    have we all heard about the new update for the Thor?

Apparently it can now self-heal itself allowing it to stay in the fight longer, and it has been descibed as a great "pusher" unit, the guy you have at the front leading the charge

it sounds like the Thor to me, but i'm sure i'm missing something

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    So is that like a constant, passive repairing-type ability? Or is it an active one like the Queen's Regeneration, but only castable on itself?

I'd rather this be a passive repairing type thing, only one or two SCV's should be 'loaded' into Thor for it to take effect. It's certainly big enough to be able to load them and be repaired from the inside, so I feel that that would be the best way to go. Instant healing definitely wouldn't work as it's extremely un-Terran, so in my opinion it would have to be either passive or an activated heal over time, preferably with SCV's required for it to take effect.

10. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I think it would be cool if it was passive, but it required SCVs to be loaded into the Thor. As you said Hex an instant heal if very un-terran like and will hopefully not be the case.

11. VANCOPOWER

VANCOPOWER New Member

thor

I agree with most of the ideas, but Thor should be a walking baracks, but only to produce reapers since they are fast and agile and can compensate for thor`s clumsiness also it kind of goes with the story that reapers are mindless killing machines rather than humans so they could be cloned on the battlefield (at the thor`s back and jump into action to protect the big fella)

Also the player must choose btw this upgrade and BIG juicy MET gun (mineral extraction tech.) instantly decomposing the minerals from every unit or units it touches, with recharge time off course we don`t want to consume the whole map off course hehe :)))

12. leemil

leemil New Member

I like the options for some sort of choice for the thor, imo
    it should be able to handle many but not all types of situations. What
    i currently think might be interesting would be a togglable ability switching
    the weapons types of the thor.
    For instance its intial attack type might be a fast gatling attack with bonus
    damage to light units and which can be switched back or forth to a slower cannon with
    bonuses to armoured units.

13. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Lol, the Thor was cool the way it was. Just give him Battlecruiser like armour, siege gun on his hands (shoots from left or right, a bit faster than siege tank and maybe a bigger splash radius) Barrage was awesome (give it range longer than any defensive weapon) and add like x2 marine guns in turrets to take down any little ones that survive his artillery. And that is just dandy, an imposing machine that can walk while blasting with nasty gun and can do Barrage bringing serious pain to anything. And show me siege tanks that will survive this encounter :]. Besides its good to have a choice, a mid tech Tank rush (classic :p) or a high tech lvl BC/Thor combo Yamato+Barrage Rawwwrr :D

If they will really make Thor a crippled bastard child of Goliath and Valkirie.. i wont play that ;( I want a BigAss BadAss Terror Mecha !!!

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    yes, that would be awesome...

and completely overpowered!

15. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Overpowered ? How so ? A unit that costs like a BC equipped with one siege gun + marine gun with energy based AoE without any form of anty air ? I never heard that BC were overpowered and suddenly this :p

16. cellulariceteas

cellulariceteas New Member

I've always thought that thor was great when it was a big-ass mofo unit. I

17. Capn_Crunch25

Capn_Crunch25 New Member

Illinois, USA
    giving it lift off makes it a flying tank, which really just might overpower it a tad

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Well the idea was to make it unable to attack when aerial, so it would just have been a flying chunk of metal. :) The Lift Off idea is not of any current interest though. This was suggested back when the Thor was a huge Ground to Ground unit. Now it's a big Ground to Air unit with GtG capabilities.