1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Thor Suggestion (I think)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by epo, Oct 19, 2008.

New Thor Suggestion (I think)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by epo, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

@ ItzaHexGor
    But the Thor main problem is that its a last tier unit, by that time, there are many units and abilities that easily counter the Thor. (IE anti-gravity, Void Ray). Plus Thor doesnt have any useful abilities compare to the queen and mothership. And i think its a better investment if you build a BC instead

2. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    just search up Dreanaught unit in Dawn of War : at youtube and you'll see what i mean

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Heavyarms2050. I don't think the Thor is actually the last tier now. Battlecruisers at least are later on than Thors.

EDIT: On top of that, why do last tier units need useful abilities? Just look at the Ultralisk. It's even later, has the same problems with Anti-Gravity and an even greater problem with Warp Rays, can't counter as much as the Thor, and also doesn't have any abilities.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Ultralisk isn't completely without abilities. It can Burrow ( yeah I know, but it still counts) and has a passive cleaving attack, which maybe isn't an outright ability, but it sure makes it better at countering most ground forces while giving it a certain flavor, like the Roach's Regeneration.

I agree with you though, a late tier unit does not have to possess a crazy ability or two and the Ultralisk is a great example of that, I just reacted at the "doesn't have any abilities".

The current Thor only requires a Factory and an Armory, I think. Atleast it was like that before Blizzcon.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Well, he did say useful abilities compared to the Queen, Mothership, etc, but yeah, you're right. I should have specified that.

The cleave attack is basically just an area of effect attack too, which the Thor has for both its Ground-to-Ground as well as its Ground-to-Air attack.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Well, maybe the cleave splash wasn't worth mentioning.... Especially considering the Thor's huge splash vs air. Didn't think about that... :p

BTW, the Thor has got a quite juicy ability in it's current form, being it's self-repairing ability. Or did they remove it?

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Oh jeez, that's getting fuzzy. I think it might be in the current build... I have a feeling they implemented it, removed it and then reimplemented it again... Not sure though.

8. GupLup[E]

GupLup[E] New Member

MI
    i dont really like the idea of melee for a huge terran unit. if you think of the terrans, you(at least i) think of big guns. when i think of a huge terran mech, i think of giant cannons.

now imo the thor isnt a very useful unit. its like a siege tank just bigger and slower. and, because of its turn time, maybe 10 cracklings could kill a lone thor.

if im missing some stuff cuz of SC2 updates, please tell me.

9. GupLup[E]

GupLup[E] New Member

MI
    wait, did they remove dark swarm?

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

BUT its possible. hell i can see a giant robot before the year 2060 in real life doing heavy constructions work. and this robot is obviously can do some melee attacks with crowbars, large steel, etc.

and its easily possible in starcraft since its sci-fi. anything can happen even as sci-fi simple as a melee mechanize fighter. the only question is if blizzard will do it (will it look good with the terran?) and its not about physics and weights falling down. lorewise its obviously possible.

and i agree about most what epo said about physics/ realism in the future or sci-fi future. the terran got teleport beacons in the campaign and i suppose it is also so lorewise, now wheres the realism in there anyway this is just an example.

but im not suggesting a melee role for the thor im just saying its possible.

and the larcenciel artwork is actually mine. lol

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  11. firemanbob

firemanbob New Member

TX
    I am totally on board with epo. And screw the lore, this is about game balance. It is pretty much worthless to have a large slow unit as an anti air solution. The air units can just run away and seek easy targets. the terran anti air unit needs to be highly mobile and have decent range, similar to the goliath. I think the siege ability is obviously the best aspect of the Thor, but I think it would be totally sweet for it to have melee ability. It would have really helped in SC1 vs dark swarm, but is that ability returning? either way, great idea, but don't hold your breath for blizzard to change it.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    /signed

The Thor's much faster than it previously was, and it has devastating area of effect Anti-Air capabilities on top of its even more devastating area of effect Anti-Ground attack. I'd honestly wouldn't be surprised if ten Crackings, assuming they return as Cracklings, couldn't even get to one.

And yes, Dark Swarm has been taken out at the moment, and remember not to double post.

@ Z11. Yeah, thought that looked like it was yours.

The Thor may work in science fiction lorewise, but it doesn't work with the Terran lorewise. Terran are all about long ranged carnage, so why would they suddenly limit such a powerful and above all, expensive construct to melee range?

@ firemanbob. Why on Earth would the Terran design such a massive construct that's completely defenceless against an Air attack? How can you go on about balance but want its Anti-Air capabilities removed? And Anti-Air definitely doesn't require high mobility, static defences like the Missile Turret and Spore Crawler are textbook examples of that. If the Thor didn't have an Anti-Air attack, then it would be such an easy target for any Air-to-Ground unit. Not to mention that it does have very decent range and can deal more damage in more time than any Goliath would have been able to, and is nothing near to being as slow as it was in the original Terran gamplay video. Besides, it's not like it's a pure Anti-Air unit, as it's got an even more devastating Anti-Ground attack. It makes no sense for such an expensive machine of war to be unable to hit an Air target.

13. firemanbob

firemanbob New Member

TX
    Well I guess I would really like it to have siege, anti air, AND melee. But that may be asking a little much. We know the devs will not make it overpowered, so I am just saying I would prefer melee to anti air, because it seems more useful. Obviously if this was the case you would not want to send a Thor out unsupported due to the air threat, but that would be a good role for your "dedicated" AA unit. I guess the long range makes it a more practical AA unit, but I would still prefer something that can react to mobile threats quicker. How much faster is it in the new build? where do you find that kind of thing out?

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Just search for it. It's all on sites like StarCraft Wiki and StarCraft2 Armoury, etc, it's been discussed several times on these forums alone, and most likely just as often on other forums, especially the official StarCraft2 Battle.Net Forums, and it's also been seen in action in gameplay videos.

Siege, Anti-Air and melee would make no sense. Even melee hardly makes sense as it's so restricted and so much more complicated than simply blasting the area in front of it into oblivion. And again, it's not Anti-Air, it's just got Anti-Air capabilities. Talking about the Thor as being Anti-Air is like talking about Marines as Anti-Air, only the Marines' attacks deal the same against both Ground and Air targets when the Thor's Anti-Ground attack is substantially stronger.

About requiring Anti-air units to assist and support a melee Thor... The Thor's the ultimate support unit. It shouldn't need to be supported because it's the one supplying the support.

As for wanting a more mobile Anti-Air unit, the Viking is perfect for it. Agile, versatile and powerful.