1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Thor Ability

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Dec 14, 2007.

?

Is this new ability good?

1. Yes. I love it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I guess it's O.K.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't like it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

New Thor Ability

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Dec 14, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

its fine with me as long as it hits hard against ground units.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    We'll have the Siege Tank for that. The Thor will probably maintain its regular GtG attack, although it isn't very powerful.

3. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    I like the new "ability" I just hope that they can be somewhat effective in GtG attacks, like it can 1 shot zerglings but its reload time is too big to be practical on its own. But why would you "kill" it once to get it as a turret than just put it on hold ground and then keep it up in hp when necessary. @ Praetor Fenix

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

whats the use calling it thor and making a uver mech like if it only good against air units.

bring back the predator..and

make ATA attack of the thor like the bc plasma torpedo. and then make the normal ground attack of the thor kickazz so that it will be a badass assault unit not a support anti air unit.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its not an anti air unit it has heavy anti air support capabilities. Plus its 900hp along with the second life it gets once 'dead' means its the perfect assult unit. Cuz it can tear thru enemy units then once it gets immobilized it can still attack thats when it becomes mainly support when your other units attack more forwardly thanks to the Thor taking the main damage.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    zeratul11, it would once again overlap with the Siege Tank, or some other ground unit. There is simply no more room for another anti ground. We got Firebats and Siege Tanks. Both are dedicated, like the Predator was to air. I would be happy with that.

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok. the thor will be a ground assault unit without the long range bombardment like the siege tank. so it will function as a frontliner ground unit and tank damages as well. no overlapping there. ^^

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The Thors range isn't all that great and I don't think it has the Bombardment anymore, not 100% sure. So the Siege Tank retains its role as a long range rape unit/defense. The Thor IS a Heavy Assult mech were the Viking is small/medium. The Tank in Siege mode would own any Thor with the right amount of Tanks.

Also, I think the Thors damage has more effect on units instead of structures, so I don't see the problem.

9. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

The problem is that it's now the primary GtA unit for the terrans. The last one, the goliath, was only useful for guarding siege tanks, since 2 could fit in a transport with a tank. The thor doesn't have that advantage (plus it's slow), meaning the siege tanks are now on their own (unless you get lucky with marines). That's fine for the big money map gamers, but it makes terran micro that much harder.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well you will have Vikings to help, have a few on ground mode and a few in air mode.

11. deaff

deaff New Member

Hi, new here.

I think the new ability for the Thor is stupid. It should have stayed the way it was or get changed to something else. Even though it had similarities it was still different, and would be used differently, than the siege tank.

12. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Hey deaff, welcome to the forums. Can you elaborate - why do you think the new ability is stupid?

13. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

The problem with that it would only be effective against the terran; the protoss have an air unit dedicated to AA, and the zerg will probably have air units dedicated to AA (they did, after all, have two air units dedicated to AA in starcraft). And since vikings can't even cloak like wraiths, they aren't really a viable AA defense.

If the Viking's ground attack is reduced to make up for a greater air attack, then the Viking's use is diminished as an assult unit. If it's attack isn't reduced, then the Viking becomes overpowered. At least, that's how I've got it figured.

14. deaff

deaff New Member

I'm against the 2 deaths because I just don't think it will 'fit in'. The Thor already has huge hp and if i understood the new update correctly an scv will just repair it after its first 'death', and then you'll have to kill it again for it to lose mobility. And once more for good, if a scv wont repair it.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    There are no dedicated AA units yet, Phoenix attacks all. Also the Viking being cloaked or not doesn't change much since no other air units can cloak.

You are also forgetting Vikings can get out of tight situations. Plus Vikings + Banshees would pretty much own a lot of ground infantry squads then if an air unit comes along the Banshee cloaks the Viking goes air n kills it.

Don't look at it the simple way but the skilled way, Terran require more skill to use effectively anyway.

Now I'm gonna compare units which attack air so you will realize Terran are not at a disadvantage.

Protoss: Stalker, HT?, Twighlight Archon, Phoenix, Warp Ray, Carrier, Mothership

Terran: Vikings, Marines, Ghosts, Reapers, Cobras (if they havn't been permanently cut), Thor, and BCs.

Zerg so far: Hydralisk & Mutalisk

Now I'd say Terran has no problem with fending off air attackers. Early game you have Marines, Reapers, Ghosts, Cobras and Vikings.

Protoss early game air defense would be Stalkers and Phoenix. now as you can see less variety but decent power, but Terran have more with different abilities which evens that out.

Late game Terran have Thor and BCs (don't forget something might have lock down), BCs own Phoenix with just one Yamato shot so.. BCs can hold their own against Carriers but not against a Mothership, but the Thor can handle the Mothership.

Protoss late game air attackers are Warp Rays which can kill BCs without Yamato and would be pretty potent against Thors but wouldn't be very effective against the small units Terran have and would get out manouvered by Vikings. A few Carriers would own a lot but thats where the Thor comes in.

So I still can't see a problem with Terran and their air attackers.

Viking: which gets an 8+ bonus against light units with its ground attack being 8(+1) and air being 9(+1) with 2 attacks, do the math it is a pretty good unit
    Phoenix: which gets a 2+ bonus against armored units and its attack is 5(+1) , HUH?! yup thats right. Btw it attacks with a volly of like 3-4 attacks then pauses so that evens out the weak attack.
    Mutalisk: No one cares in this thread

Are in the same class and I'd say the Viking is the most versitile.
    Mutalisk is the best in groups
    Phoenix can take out large numbers if used right.

16. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

@ deaff - I believe the 'two deaths' thing is actually a little bit of a misnomer. The Thor has 900 HP, so I'd be willing to bet that at 200 HP or so (throwing out a random guess) it becomes immobile/has its first 'death.' Then an SCV can repair the Thor (as it already could before at 200 HP) and the Thor will be able to move again. So the 'two deaths' ability is actually probably more of a limitation to further differentiate the role of the Thor and even help with balance.

17. nEveR_LifT

nEveR_LifT New Member

yeah, I wouldn't think that you would have to completely drain all of thors hp, that would be annoyong, just bring it down to "200 HP" or so.

18. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Everybody thinks it's cool cause of the way they worded it: "The Thor will have to be killed twice" to paraphrase. If they had said what it really means, which is "We've given the Thor more hit points but when it's damage gets down into the red it becomes immobile" you'd all be whining and complaining about how stupid it was.

19. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

haha,that's true.we won't "kill" it twice,we will just have a beffed up Thor that lose it's legs when heavly damaged

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The way it was worded sounds like the Thor will burn down like a building.