1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Terran unit?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Nov 6, 2007.

New Terran unit?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You can always make two Factories or Star-Ports. I seldom had a game where I only used one of each. If you have one Factory with a Machine Shop and the other with a Nuclear Reactor, then the Nuclear Reactor will be able to produce Siege Tanks. Where did you find that they are built from the Factory in the Viking's old spot?
    The cinematics aren't much to go by. There is one cinematic where a Dragoon is spotted off a Terran outpost. In it, the Dragoon has two small legs and two longer legs, which is false, the Terran have some kind of Turret type defense that fires missiles at ground target, which is wrong, and at the end, a whole lot of Dragoons warp in to the Terran outpost, which is wrong. The cinematics aren't very accurate. Also, the Ghosts are actually given advanced body suit. Just because it isn't as big as the Marine's body suit, it doesn't mean that it isn't any less technological. There is a difference between having a body suit and being in a mech. From the screenshot of the Firebat it is obvious that it is in a body suit, not a mech.
    That's similar to what I said before. I would like Firebats to be a much higher tier than they were in StarCraft1, and for them to be more powerful but more expensive. However because it isn't a mech, it should be produced at the Barracks, not the Factory. Late to end game units can still be produced in the Barracks, it's just that they require another building to be built.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Tech Labs only affect the building that it's attached to (or am I wrong?) just like the add-ons in SC1.
    If you have two CC's, and upgrade one to a Planetary Fortress, and the other to a Comsat Station (or whatever it's called), the Planetary Fortress won't be able to comsat just because another building of the same type can.

Why I think that Firebats are occupying the number 1 slot? Why not? They are infantry, after all, and should be the first Factory unit you can produce. Why should you be able to build Siege Tanks and/or Cobras before small mechs/big infantry?

3. Overling

Overling New Member

Whatever the reason they gave lore-wise to build the Firebat from the factory, it is still a heavy close range support unit that would go along greatly with the Siege-tank. Can you imagine, something blinking or landing close to a Siege-tank and being toasted? Factory is a complete GTG arsenal now. No one will want to get to a terran base by foot anymore, lol!

4. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

That wouldn't be even close to the SC universe. First : a unit that has no abillity and can only attack air - it is doomed. It would find verry few users, especially since it would be a ground unit. Second - come on - the nuke cannon - what's next paladin tank with point defence sys. and raptor mk10. They already have a long range siege unit - it's called - SIEGE TANK.
    If it's going to be a new unit it should be 2 units ( :p ) : first a mech - a goliath replacement - has twin heavy machine guns that can cut through light and medium armor. Has a siege mod where he deployes 2 rocket lunchers ( like the ones on the missile turret ), for great range ( upgradable ), and good damage.
    Second : Blackhawk Fighter/bomber - comes with only a light laser battery and has 2 upgradable options : first - a missile load that does great dmg vs air light and medium armor units, and also comes with a replacement for the laser battery - a fragmentation grenade luncher for ground units - does about 10 dmg on impact, and 5 dmg on a small radius; second - EMP Bomb Bay - becomes a bomber than can only attack ground units, does a great dmg - say 35 and has an aditional 50 emp dmg - that means if it hits shield it will take another 50 points - downside - in order to fire it needs to get on top of the enemy unit that is bombarded. This way the gost can get some sort of new abillity ( something more psionic like since they have psionic abillites ), and the emp abillity is transformed into a more useable one.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In StarCraft1, I don't think that add-ons only effected the one building that it was attached to. If you had two Factories, one with a Machine Shop attached, then both Factories can produce Siege Tanks, which require a Machine Shop add-on. With the Comsat Station, it is different because the Scanner Sweep ability was done directly from the Comsat Station, not the Command Center.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Well I played SC1 pretty recently, and I had to build add-ons on every starport to be able to build BC's.

7. C20

C20 New Member

Aye, you need a new add-on for all factories+starports to be able to build units from that building

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Serious? I must have been played on a previous patch, or just completely forgotten. So Firebat is the only unit that can use a Nuclear Reactor on a Factory? I guess that it doesn't really matter now, seeing as add-ons are interchangeable. If you wanted to produce a lot of Firebats quickly you could Lift-Off and attach it to a Nucelar Reactor, then if you wanted to make Siege Tanks and Cobras again you can just switch back. Or you could just build multiple Factories, Star-Ports, etc. :p It worked in StarCraft1, so it'll work in StarCraft2.

9. Overling

Overling New Member

Perhaps Cobras, tho require an armory, can also benefit from a reactor add-on.

10. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

I think your idea for the cobra is good, the academy and reactor that is... Cobras are weak units used just because it can move while shooting its whimpy gun... You have to have a lot of them to take down a thor anyways so why not make it easier to get since it's weak?

PS: Or has the cobra become good some time while I wasn't looking?

11. Quanta

Quanta New Member

To get back to the topic of the thread, which is now to talk about a Predator replacement.

First, I don't know what was wrong with the Predator in the first place. Maybe the intercept mechanic wasn't working out, I really don't know what else it could be.

One Idea would be to just bring back the Predator and give it a new ability. I'm not exactly sure what to give it though. Maybe lockdown would be interesting on an AA unit. Give it a decent attack designed to take on large numbers of sub capital class ships but poor against capital ships and then give it a lockdown ability so it can have a support role when facing capital ships.

Another thought would be to make a new and improved Valkary. I would probably be against that idea as I'd prefer something new and a flying missile platform isn't new. Although, it they gave it some sort of ability to make it interesting this may be acceptable.

I really don't know what other type of mechanic to use. You need something with aplash damage and fast firing but fairly weak. It also needs an ability of some kind so it won't be boring. Maybe a fast firing flack cannon would be an idea. I can think of some wierd pssibliities but the problem is they all seem to Protoss.

12. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I think the mechanics of the intercept wouldn't work out well... as how would you even attempt to counter missiles.... I mean without it being a auto cast ability. You would have to move insanely fast.

13. Quanta

Quanta New Member

intercept was a mode the Predator would go into. You put the ship into intercept mode and it will automatically shoot down incoming fire but it won't attack enemy ships. That was the idea.

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    REVIVED!!!

I think that the Jackal needs to be replaced or changed, a lot that is. It simply overlaps with already existing units, being the Tank, Marauder and Banshee.
    The Siege Tank offers GtG from the Factory, and the Viking offers very versatile AA, both from ground and air.
    The last Factory unit should be something else than the Jackal.

I think that the Ghost has taken too many roles at the moment. It's anti-bio capabilities are alone enough to make a unit. Why not make the Ghost a spellcaster again, it has 5 abilities so why the +30 vs. biological?
    And Jon said that both the Terran and Zerg faction lack detection somewhat.

My conclusion: replace the Jackal with either a unit with extra damage vs. bio-targets, or a detecting kind of unit.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

The Jackal doesnt overlap with anything right now, but it does seem a bit iffy.

The Marauder simply helps marines and other ranged attackers to get a few more shots in before the meleers come.

The Banshee is now a powerful single target attack unit although this makes me think of the Warp Ray in more ways than one.

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Perhaps we should remove the banshee and add an AA fighter. Then the jackal does not overlap, and perhaps the Thor can change role back!?

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Then there would be no dedicated AtG. We currently have the Viking, which is AA, and the Thor which is GtA.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Why do you need to remove the Banshee before you can add an Air-to-Air fighter? There's still a spare place in the StarPort, isn't there? Besides, it's the Jackal that deserves to be removed. It mutilated the Banshee's original attack and it's only Ground-to-Ground which the Terran have more than enough of already. In my opinion the Jackal should be removed. Whether it gets replaced with a pure Ground-to-Air unit or a mixed Ground-to-All unit, is up to Blizzard, but regardless the new unit should be able to hit air targets.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Meh, the Banshee's AoE was kinda unnecessary. We have enough splashing units. I'd rather send 9 Banshee's into a base and level their buildings before they get detec.

20. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    well, after watching the zerg video, I believe its required to get as many splash units as possible. Good lord, just look at the size of the hordes, plz splash