1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New protoss unit/hero? artwork.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by zeratul11, Jun 28, 2008.

New protoss unit/hero? artwork.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by zeratul11, Jun 28, 2008.

1. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    I agree that could be a Soulhunter, but I for one, am glad the unit is no longer in the game.. I think it was completelly pointless, a Protoss Surfer!

2. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Look up on the starcraft wiki the updated models for alot of the units. I'm telling you right now. That's the Protoss Templar.

3. pattadar

pattadar New Member

The Protoss could use a unit like the Soul Hunter since they've taken out the phase cannons, the icon Mothership, and the Shield Battery. I didn't mind the Protoss surfer angel as it was unique design for the Protoss. We now have three ground units (Stalker, Immortal, and Colossus) that pretty much look identical. With two of team filling the same role.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    First off, they look completely different. Secondly, which of them do you think overlap and why?

5. pattadar

pattadar New Member

I still think it's the Soul Hunter, but it's up to Blizzard to confirm what it is or was in the game. Zooming into the picture you can see a 2006 date in the lower right hand corner. So it's probably not a new unit or concept.

6. pattadar

pattadar New Member

The Stalker and the Immortal starting out are pretty similar. Only when the Stalker is up graded does it gain the blink ability making it a fast attack or retraet unit. Other than the harden shields of the Immortal It doesn't seem to have a unique role. Since their still working on everything, and I don't know everything about each unit. I could easily change my opinion on the Immortal.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Stalker is flimsy and has low hp. The Immortal has lots of hp and the hardened shield. The Immortal can't shoot air. The Stalker does bonus damage vs armor, while the Immortal has no bonuses at all. The Immortal is still a little better at taking out lower tier units, since its attack is divided into two (it does something like 9x2 damage) Since the attack is x2 armor will reduce the damage twice, thus making it better vs smaller, lightly armored units.
    The Stalker and Immortal are VERY different IMO.

And the artwork can't be a Soulhunter. Soulhunters were silvery and looked like Dark Templar, and they were attached to their hoverboards at the waist, not at the feet.

8. pattadar

pattadar New Member

They have differences, but the Immortal doesn't have anything that overwhelming different to me. At the beginning of a game, they can be taken out by quick and lite attack units. That's what I'm basing my assessment on. I hope they continue to refine the Immortal or give it some special ability early on to make it really unique.

9. leemil

leemil New Member

Wow!! how many dgrees of awesome is that!
    its weapon is like a bloody pylon, i just hope that if there is an
    in game model, it lives up to such majestic artwork

10. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I think it is art for like a character or hero, or possibly even a council member of the protoss or something.

He looks like an experienced templar with a position of great power or importance, which makes me think he could be a political figure or something like that.

11. ssp0929

ssp0929 New Member

Houston
  12. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Or the Protoss Sentinel :)

He was called the Purifier... perhaps a concept now became of the Nullifier.

-Psi

13. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    Heres a better picture:
    http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/images/samwise/StarCraft_Samwise034c.jpg

Karune recently released that it was the concept for the Soul Hunter which is a unit cut from the game.

-Karune

Link: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?FN=sc2-general&T=1664568&P=1

14. pattadar

pattadar New Member

I'd like to know who decide to change it's name from Purifier to Soul Hunter. :confused: Purifier is right in line with Zealots, Stalker, and Immortal as a cool name for a unit.

15. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The soul hunter was a dark templar-flavored unit. I suspect it's based around Ulrezaj's projects, but of course I don't know for sure. The name makes sense in that respect, though it's also kind of hokey.

The purifier (from StarCraft: Ghost) looked like a Khala-flavored unit. I bet they'll end up with two units, both campaign-only, one dark templar flavored and one khala-flavored.

16. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    The art looks nice but I am still glad the Soul Hunter got cut from the game, it really didn't fit in at all.

The art doesn't even look anything like the Soul Hunter they had so I'm guessing it was a concept art that wasn't used?

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Hmmm.... I'm not really into unit art, but I kinda miss the soul hunter being its counterpart of dark templar infantry with the zealot. The unit attack was of course a redo of the warp ray but it would have been a good unit if it took the place of the nullifier as the caster for the dark protoss.

But all is done and I'm glad that the protoss turned out to be fine after all the mothership re-modifications. Possibly the reason for it being cut besides from the warp ray drama is probably its lore function considering that the protoss only have few who can emit powerful psychic attacks like that, and green beams from lesser dark protoss templars wouldn't fit right if you ask me.

But if they will make a hero out of that concept, then i wouldn't oblige in anyway as it would really be great to see something unique as that.

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    This piece of artwork makes me want the Soul Hunter back.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, in some way or another. The Purifier art is just awesome. The Soul Hunter didn't work very well though, but I think that the Nullifier could get a remodeling (I think it looks pretty meh) in the Purifier direction. Either that, or make it a Hero in the Campaign.

20. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member