1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new Protoss air unit

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by furrer, Dec 23, 2007.

?

What do YOU think they will do

1. Remove the Phoniex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Remove the Warp ray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Remove the Carrier (i hope this one gets 0)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Remove the Mothership

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Add a new one with no removing

100.0%

new Protoss air unit

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by furrer, Dec 23, 2007.

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Personally, I dont think any air units should be removed. I would say make the Mothership a super unit again, and then add a massable aerial suuport unit. You would have your average fighter that can deal with mass fighters (the Pheonix), your heavy hitter that can destroy heavy units and main buildings (the Warp Ray), your aerial support unit (the unit that would be added), your long range capital unit thats semi a good against alot of things (the Carrier), and finally you have your Flagship that is pretty good against alot of things but suffers from the fact that in can only be in one place at a time and the fact that it is expensive (the Mothership).

2. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

Hmm, although the Air Units in toss are strong, practically none of the ground forces for protoss can support air units. Its not like SC1 with the amazing Dragoon backing everything up. We lost that awesome multi-purpose unit so adding in maybe a cheaper earlier air unit or just another powerhouse might be needed.

Edit: Honestly, thinking about it, none of the units on the ground can really support the air like the Dragoon could. Archons maybe, but they are high priority, and not the Stalker because they just don't have the range nor the meat to really survive long enough.

3. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

is the thor a superunit now?
    cuz i think that it will be complete BS if each race has its own superunit :p

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    If it isn't a super unit, it's come pretty close to one, having double death and both AG and AA.

If I remember, they are working on other ideas for the thor, so we may see more abilities or replaced abilities for the thor before the thor is finalized.

5. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    If each race had its own super unit id start slitting my wrists today.

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The Thor is NOT a super unit, it never was. The term super unit is being by Blizzard to represent a unit that you can only have 1 of on the field at a time and is balance as such. The Thor is bettter described as the avatar of the Terrans because it does a very good job of represnting the theme of the Terrans. The Mothership could also be very easily described as the avatar of the Protoss if it became a super unit again.

The Protoss are the only team that should have a "super unit."

7. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I agree with LK. The thor isn't currently a super unit, and it shouldn't be. The protoss is a race all about strong units with limited numbers of units to fight with. So having a unit so powerful that there can only be one in existance at any given time fits with the protoss playing style.

8. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

the protoss don't need a new air unit,they need a biological ground unit capable of hitting air targets!!

but i agree with kuvasz,the protoss need a unit with siege range.sure,we supposedly have the reaver,but i believe it has been axed already.so the protoss are lacking a siege unit,and this is bad...

but them removing the Mothership is bad as well,because they can make this unit into something great,even if it's not a super unit...

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    we already have a "siege" unit : The Carrier. And isn't a super unit a bit out of the way? I think its looking to much like WC3 with heroes..

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL STARCRAFT2FORUM!

10. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

The stalker is an excellent GTA combat unit. It's cheap, so it can come in numbers. In addition to that, they'll be able to fight pretty much all air units because they can blink onto cliffs. No more outranging! And they'll be able to chase down air and run away if needed. Their damage isn't too bad, either.

Siege units for protoss are redundant. They have charge with zealots and immortals with hardened shields. And the lack of a siege unit makes it distinct from the terran, because they have to use different strategies.

11. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I have a feeling that they will remove the phoenix, the phoenix is good but jeez killing all of the units instantly should be looked at twice

12. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

But it sucks against things like battlecruisers. It would pwn carriers, though. Kill all of the interceptors, then bring in warp rays.

13. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

it dosent kill all the units insrantly it just did alot od dmg during over load. During the first SC2 privew they said u could always move away then come back and attack the defenceless phenix.(After overload)

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Also, it took a total of 4 overloads to kill them all, so you would have to successfully overload them all with 4 units before they died. Also, the phoenix is supposed to be used as an anti-stacking unit, keeping people from staking air units against you.

Also, like aol said, you can retreat out of the range of the overload while it is charging and come back to finish them off easily before they recover. A simple, yet effective, strategy against them.

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

the phenix looks cool and its concet is good but i would use them as a casterand only carriey a few i guess. it depends tho if its late game i would have alot to repel masssive air attacks but really just about all there good for. also dose overload hit ground targets or no??

16. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Overload only hit air units, but it's regular attack attacks both bround and air.

It would be too op if overload hit both ground and air, imaging its destruction during a massive battle for map control and 3 phoenixes cast overload, your opponent would be dead before they could really do anything.

17. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Yeah but what about the battle crusers plasma torpedo. what land unit can escape that??? i think that ablity might be highly imbalance(and i'm a terran love) Dont get me wrong i love terrans with a passion but i wanna beat people on a fair lvl.

18. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    The only time we saw it was when it killed a bunch of marines which is a tier 4 ability killing tier 1 units. It might be downsized to a smaller area. Also, there isn't any info on how powerful it is against later tier units like the tank, colossus, etc.

19. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

yeah but u must realize it sounds deadly. Think about mass Bcs for a second. Now think about each one of those things hitting a ground unit or one of your builings or your main base witch might be very cluttered. it can be a scary thought.

20. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Well the PT might have been beefed up to show it off. I wonder if the Preadtor could shoot of the torpedoes. Man. If it could, it'd be a nice def against BC's. If they're in the editor, can they deflect yomato cannon? Can they deflect GTG attacks?