1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new idea. new banshee. new role.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Apr 18, 2008.

new idea. new banshee. new role.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Gforce

Gforce New Member

how about we leave the banshee's fate in the hands of the capable bliz team? and not our own, because it seems no one will agree on how it should look/attack/ and feel.

2. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Not meaning to be an ahole here....but don't you think it's a waste of all our time to write (poorly) a quick reply that says you'll debate latter? Just debate latter. I don't think anyones gonna get on your case if you don't visit the forums every hour of every day.

Taken from the official site:
    "As a planetary craft, the banshee wouldn't need high-powered engines to achieve escape velocity and fight in orbit, so instead technicians fitted it with economical twin turbofans..."

I think Blizz has done an excellent job lore wise with this design.

Itza already tore you a new one as far originality goes. Thank god he did because I can't even begin to fathom how you think jet engines are futuristic or original. Geez, just be happy this one wasn't lifted from war40k.

I may think this is a bad idea, but you are putting ideas out there (with models even). I think it's important we all give you credit for that.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

^

i know the lore. who cares? if the banshee gest dual engines change the lore then continue the lore about functioning as a tactical guerilla warfare unit but with dual engines instead.

what i meant was its unoriginal for the terran because its a helicopter (the propellers is the problem), an advance looking apache and shooting missiles that is not a new innovative design considering that it is use far from the past and present in real life and also as well as having similar desgin unit from other rts games, movies, etc. if you look at all terran unit including the scrap ones vulture, cobra, predator, wraith, bc, etc...... the banshee is the odd one out. why bcoz the look doesn't fit terran the most, doesn't look innovative or orginal for the terran because eveything else looks advance or whatever you wanna call it. the tank is exceptional , since imo tanks can still exist in the military even in the far future bcoz of its role.

if you truly want terran innovation, try a different design style/ shape and maybe without the propellers.

the vertical look and visible look of the engines with the hovering effect makes it original and different from the turbo engine of other air units.

mothership looks protoss.

the banshee looks terran alright, but dual engines looks better terran than the propellers. why? simply bcoz propellers are lowtech and its hard to imagine it to fly in space. also im sure engines are faster and more effective.

my photoshop banshee with the twin engiens looks innovative cool for the terran for sure.

and the propellers just looks cnc, ut4 (and all other rts games with choppers tha looks like the banshee) and present and past real life military innovation for the terran.

for itza.

Why don't you like the twin engines for the banshee? (1) is it because you think its not terran bcoz its high tech , not simple, sleek and cheesy, etc.. and thus contradict its lore? (2) or you just prefer the rotor bcoz you feel its more unique and different from all other terran units and terran like as well?

if you answered 1 then your wrong.

but if you answer 2 then thats a good reason, aesthecally you like the propellers better but it doesn't mean the engines are useless or inappropriate for the banshees role. its a matter of taste. engines can minimize its sound as well for stealth ambushing you now. and its high above no one will notice. ^^

ok, the banshee with propellers is terran fine for me, but i rather see engines instead of rotors bcoz a futuristic helicopter looking unit is too common in many other sci fi settings (games, movies, etc). at least dual vertical engines is something new and interesting looking for a terran unit. i did not say the terran cant have a futuristic helicopter but why not try something else. something better and exciting like dual engines and not passive boring looking like the propelers.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Just quickly, I think something happened with your quoting. I don't say "I'm back, baby!" that often.
    Actually that wouldn't work too well in the Banshee's situation. Rotors make it a much more effective ambusher, etc, than other Terran stealth ships, like the Wraith, because it has rotors, and not dual engines. When designing a stealth bomber, you don't make its method of locomotion as obvious as possible. That would defeat the purpose of it being a stealth bomber. Rotors are much more effective and subtle, so they suit the Banshee much more.
    Again, being a helicopter does not make it unoriginal. It is a new and innovative design. Whether or not it suits the Terran is an entirely different point and is completely subjective. If you didn't want StarCraft to have any similarities with any other game or movie, there would hardly be a StarCraft to begin with. Out of all the Terran units, including scrapped ones, I would say the Banshee is definitely not the odd one out. I'd say the Cobra is. If any unit doesn't suit the Terran, it's the Cobra because it looks like it's from a completely different race. It looks almost exactly like an Elite's Wraith from Halo. The Banshee on the other hand definitely looks human, and Terran at that. Helicopters are almost famously human machines, especially for StarCraft. Zerg would never have them, Protoss would never have them, Terran would almost definitely have them. It's a great design and suits them and its role well.
    That wouldn't be close to Terran innovation. If it didn't have the rotors, it would just look like yet another Terran ship. With the rotors, it is much more innovative because Terran have never had anything like it to begin with.
    Making a unit that looks different to the other Terran Air units does not make it innovative. The Viking's Air Form model looks different to the Wraith, but that doesn't make the Air Form model innovative, and it's not really innovative. The concept of transforming from a Ground unit into an Air unit is, but just looking different to other Terran Air units definitely does not.
    Exactly. It does. It functions off a completely different method of locomotion, but still suits the Protoss. It's the same for the Banshee. It, too, works off a different method of locomotion, but it still suits the Terran.
    Dual engines would not look better than dual rotors, especially for a stealth unit. Rotors are not low tech. If either method is considered low tech, I'd say it's the engines because they've been used for the past however many years of StarCraft without so much as a slight glimpse of a break. The rotors do not fly in space. If you were familiar with the Banshee's lore, you'd realise that. You're just making assumptions when you say that engines are faster and more effective. You're always going on how Blizzard can change the lore to suit the unit whenever anyone challenges the lore aspect of your ideas, so why do you always challenge Blizzard's ideas? Besides, Banshees do not have to be fast. They're stealth bombers and ambushers. They need to be stealthy, not fast.
    I don't mean to sound rude here, but I think you're pretty much the only one who really thinks that your idea looks more innovative and cool than the current Banshee. Banshees may look like things from other games, but as I've already said, StarCraft would barely exist if it weren't for other inspirations.
    You're trying to put words in my mouth here, but basically it's both. Your dual engines are freaking massive and are just pouring out flames. It looks as though its primary form of attack is to hover directly above its target, thus incinerating it. That is not what a stealth bomber is supposed to be like! Stealth bombers should have as little fire as possible, hence, the rotors. I could also go into all the reasons on why engines like those would be completely inefficient, but you'd most likely end up saying 'but it's the future' or 'they can explain that with lore' or the dreaded 'they could have invented a device to fix that'. The point is they just look inefficient as as though they'd struggle to hold the Banshee in the sky while wasting so much fuel. Lastly, the rotors are more unique and different to all other Terran Air units, but it still fits in with them, while the dual engines are just the same old thing while administering them in a horribly ineffective way, just so that they'll stand out more.
    Good to see you back up all your arguments. You fail to realise that if it did have your dual engines then it would completely break its lore, which would, in turn, break up its role. It's not just something you can fix with a quick one-liner.
    They are inappropriate for the Banshees role, as I've said earlier. It's a stealth fighter, so it needs to reduce its sound and fire in as many ways as possible. If they're able to dampen the sound of jet engines, why couldn't they use that technology to further reduce the sound of the rotors making it doubly as quiet as it was before? Saying 'no-one will notice' is pretty much the worst attitude you can take for something like this, even if you were just joking.
    If you think there are too many futuristic looking helicopters in other games, just look at the number of jets in StarCraft. It would be bland and repetitive to introduce another one. Hence, the Banshee. Dual vertical engines mightn't have been done before, but they're still the same thing. It doesn't make it new and interesting. Presumably all other Air units have vertical engines anyway which is why they're able to hover, so all you're really suggesting is to make it the same as everything else, only with visible vertical engines instead of concealed ones.

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Zeratul, you obviously don't understand the meaning of original and innovative, let alone half the words you're using.

Original - new; fresh; inventive; novel: an original way of advertising.

Innovative - tending to innovate or characterized by innovation

A jet engine is neither original or innovative. It's been overdone. There were 9 air units with jet engines in SC1, and 0 with rotors. Rotors are innovative and new as they weren't done before in the franchise.

Neither are your jet engines "sleek" or "futuristic." They have flames pouring out everywhere. They look crude and dangerous, hardly fitting the role of a stealth bomber. You might as well strap a neon bullseye on your chest and jump in front of a firing squad. Right now the only use your engines look like they'll have is lighting up the night. It's no more than a flare, and one that looks like it'll blow up any second. And don't you even think about saying jet engines are 'sleeker' and 'original' because your point has been refuted repeatedly.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

^ i know what innovative means.

i see it this way. i find the helicopter "design" not innovative bcoz its something we see and know everyday. when i say blizzard should make something terran innovative, its something that is very unique and terran original to make the unit special and standout and not being limited to just a common standard looking aircraft. banshee=apache. what im poitning is something that looks terran uniquely memorable and not something that is so common.

http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=HW_1024x768_7.jpg - banshee without rockets.
    http://vladimir3d.deviantart.com/art/Attack-Helicopter-46849790
    http://jihaus.deviantart.com/art/Stingray-III-Gunship-01-50394706
    http://nv8x.deviantart.com/art/Future-helicopter-40432948
    http://councilor.deviantart.com/art/Future-Orca-23948038 - the banshee of cnc
    http://janboruta.deviantart.com/art/Dropship-concepts-52425237
    http://rafenrazer.deviantart.com/art/C-10-quot-Bumble-bee-quot-gunship-58894923
    http://pansejra.deviantart.com/art/DF-74-Dragonfly-gunship-74053003

the battlecruiser and wraith look original and innovative.

i know blizzard can do this. but i guess they are tired and that the helicopter design is good enough for them for the units role/lore. well not for me, i see more unit potential that is completely unique terran stealth bomber. be more creative and be more innovative and im sure blizzard can come up something more interesting than an advance looking helicopter in space.

here are some example. all can be terran and steath bomber big or small. see the design. just improvise this design to fit to a small stealthy bomber. just see the idea.

http://juzo-kun.deviantart.com/art/Spaceship-sketch-II-17949173
    http://opticneuralinterface.deviantart.com/art/S-Spaceship-8118572
    http://blackswordsman28.deviantart.com/art/nother-randomship-49309047 (nice unique design, maybe not a bomber)
    http://dissidentzombie.deviantart.com/art/Crusader-Medium-Fighter-18955628
    http://jalicat.deviantart.com/art/after-6-4-2004-20083452 (good example / im refering to the upper drawing)
    http://lanceradvanced.deviantart.com/art/Shetan-Bomber-37902697 (another good example)

++++

about the dual engine, although its not really that original or innovative too, it still is more innovative looking as fas aircraft design goes. and you see it less often in sci fi or real military aircraft compared to propellers. and also giving the bashee dual vertical engines could also lead to a newly design aircraft, completely different from the apache look thus making it more innovative etc.

heres one pic that shows dual vertical engines.

http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Touchdown-60996805

http://alphatwin.deviantart.com/art/what-will-the-future-bring-63724463 - i dont know if it uses side rotor or engines. anyway as you can see its clearly not innovative. anyway if those are engines then somehow it looks more unique. why? bcoz check out the choppers (with propelers) listed above. so common and there are so many of them.

best example or idea or look of a twin engines. im talking about the engine look and effect for the banshee.

http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Extraction-Point-70162052

ok the overall design is not also original... just focus on the engines. the engines idea im reinventing is similar to that and not neccesarily similar to the one that i made. it doesn't look noisy and i can see it as a stealth unit.

i hope you guys know now what i mean. and what innovation or terran innovation im talking about.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    We don't, or at least shouldn't, relate StarCraft to our lives. Innovation takes place within StarCraft, not within our entire world, otherwise things like the Jackal, Viking Air Form and Siege Tank, not to mention Marines, Medics, etc, would all be completely unoriginal. The Jackal is innovative because it's the only bike in StarCraft2, despite having bikes nowadays, the Viking is innovative because it's the only jet/plane in StarCraft2, despite having planes and jets nowadays, and the Siege Tank is innovative because it's the only tank in StarCraft, despite having tanks nowadays. However, above all, the Banshee is innovative because not only is it the only helicopter in StarCraft2, there aren't any helicopters at all in StarCraft1. It's the first of it's kinda, ergo, it's innovative. You can't mix up a game with our surroundings today, despite the helicopters in our surroundings being very different from the Banshee. Besides, changing rotors to engines will not get rid of this supposed unoriginality because it's still essentially the same design. You've basically just made solid propellers instead of the radial propellers, like adding a solid wheel to a bike to replace the spokes, but in doing so you're messing with the lore which is in turn messing with the units role. This isn't something that can be fixed with a quick 'they invented this' line. It directly effects the lore, being the stealth aspect of the Banshee, which directly effects the role.

I'm not sure if you understand the full extent of the irony in your opening paragraph. You're saying that you want something unique and original, something that would make it more special and stand out, but what's standing out more than the Banshee at the moment? The propellers are what's making it unique, original, special and stand out. If it was just a plain, stealthing, Air-to-Ground jet with lasers (i.e. a Wrairth minus the Air-to-Air missiles) it would not stand out, but at the moment it is, and why is it? Because of the rotors. From what you're saying, the Banshee is everything you want but for some reason, you don't want it.

About the first lot of images, the first is of Halo Wars, which is a game that hasn't been released yet so Blizzard can't have really copied it, despite it looking more like a Dropship anyway. The second is a normal modern-day helicopter, and not like the Banshee at all. The third just looks completely different, the only thing in common being the two thrusters either side of the cockpit, which is what your design would have anyway. The fourth is from Warhammer 40, 000, and is actually a hover vehicle, not a helicopter at all. The fifth, again, doesn't look like the Banshee and looks more like your suggestion, what with the lasers at the front and covered thrusters at the sides. The sixth look bland and far to generic to make any definitive comparison. The seventh also looks like yours, looking at the driller missiles at the front. Lastly, the eighth is also just a generic design, so is not really viable for comparison.

There's good reason why you don't see dual engines like yours in other science fiction ships or modern military aircrafts. Also I find it a bit hypocritical when you show all of these images saying that the Banshee looks too much like them, when later on, and also in the Viking thread, you've posted such images in a similar fashion, saying that either the Banshee or Viking should look more like them. Do you want them to look like others or not?

I seriously don't get the point of the second lot of images. None of them looked as though they'd suit Terran in the slightest, and only one or two looked as though they would be suitable for stealth fighting, and none of them complimented your idea of having two huge turbo infernos coming out either side of your stealth fighter.

About the two vertical engine images, the first wouldn't suit the Terran due too the thin, narrow and more fragile feel, and the second one looks as though it's using the same method of propulsion as the 'helicopters' in the sixth link of the original lot of images, which you said looked too much like the Banshee, which meant it was unoriginal.

About the last image, I immediately though it was some fan art or concept art from Halo, so it's not a good example of what engines to use for the Banshee. After seeing all those images, you've made me realise just how many dual engines there actually are out there in other science fiction areas. There are all the ones you posted, the Banshees from Halo, Serenity from Firefly, and the list goes on. Dual engines really isn't very innovative at all now that you've brought all that up.

In summation, I seriously don't get what you're trying to say by showing all these images. You're showing lots that you say look like the Banshee in an attempt to show that it's unoriginal and not innovative, but then you show lots of others showing what the Banshee should look like, but by doing that you're showing that it should look like these types of ships that have already been come up with, meaning that if it was in fact modelled after them, it still wouldn't be original or innovative.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

this is where we misunderstand each other a lot. innovative for me, something can't be found anywhere else. or maybe rarely can be found anywhere else. somthing that is NEW and groundbreaking.

the viking is innovative bcoz it never look anywhere nearer to other mechs and the way it transform is different from the transformers etc. jackal, nah.

yes the new siege tank with the x thread and new turret is very mcuh new and innovative for a tank. but the banshee? just take a look clearly at the overall design.

if you say that a choppper desing in starcraft is unique and innovative bcoz its the only unit to look like it and the first one, i understand that.

but my point is the overall picture, a design base on a advance helicopter is never can be original and innovative. what im saying is terran innovative, blizz make something that is completely their own rather improvising a COMMON uninnovative design of an advance helicopter.

ok if they want to retain the helicopter look, they can do it without really making it look similar to any other common sci fi or real advance helicopter design. in that way they can still make it innovative.

innovative = ground breaking... unit.

the banshee looking just like other rts chopper unit is not ground breaking at all. they are all look alike.

it need something to really set it apart from all other choppper design. how? maybe a design that is not anywhere near the advance helicopter design. but if you want to retain the chopper look, then add something else to it, change the shape, give it dual cockpits, make the missile shoot from the tail, etc. and this is what innovation im talking about.

making it ground breaking, they need to add up something and "missile" doesn't help. i tried to give it the cloak ambusher mode with the dual lasers and the driller missile just to make it different. the design is neccesarrily not be the same, but i dont have the time to do it.

in details they have unsimilar stuffs. but the overall look and feel is the same. they all have this advance helicopter look (cockpit, shape, tail) regardless of having dual or triple rotors and other stuffs.. yes its bcoz they are base on the same thing. making it not a innovative unit in any sci fi setting including starcraft.

the viking is a different case.

the banshee looking like a common rts movie etc advance helicopter is nowhere can be original.
    the viking on the other hand looks very original and unique with its design compared to other mechs, i only wanted the in game model to look more sleek since the concept are looks like it.

i only showed it for proving the possibilities of having innovative design and model for a unit. a completely different design from the helicopter look. and the vertical engines can be always be inserted to any of these designs if improvised.

that overall design has nothing to do with dual engine unit that im trying to come up with. and its not fragile looking, i bet the banshee would get smashed when the two of them collides.

see, like i said, the rotors and overall helicopter design is never can be original. and you are right, even it gets dual engines it is still not original. but at least dual vertical engines looks more less common.

yes the dual engines are not rare. but at least we dont see them everyday unlike rotors. and also propellers are very much more common in sci fi and in real life compared to "vertical hovering" dual engines. not just any dual engines.

yes i showed why the banshee design is really common. the cockpit, rotors, the tail, and everything is an improvised helicopter (apache, or any sleek lookijng helicopter). its obvious. And having a helicopter as a base model, "minor" improvision(banshee) etc on it makes it still not innovative since most sci fi settings would do this and thus making it a common and uninteresting passive looking design or concept.

And the "unique" design that i showed is an example and proves that blizzard can also make some original ones. they dont just neccesarily need to redo a helicopter design and make it fit the lore just like all other rts and movies etc, imo that is just so unoriginal. i did not say they should copy and get some from those designthat i posted..why should they if they can create one of their own. im sure all of us can design our very own unique looking craft with LESS or NO similarities to other design unlike the banshee is to other advance looking chopper with 2 or 3 rotors as well. Design that has nothing to do with the common helicopter apache desing.

they can totally invent a NEW(not copied) creative original innovative terran unit, weapon, buildings(baracks looks innovative and all others) etc. whats wrong about that? imo thats the best thing to do it.

or if they cant relly create a new one, ok they can copy a concept maybe but not overly copied it like you can see the most similarities just like the banshee.

lastly, if blizzard made this on purpose, making a unit from a helicopter design bcoz they thought terran are like more realistic and very much the real life military then thats a different story. theres nothing i can really do. but i only tried to come up with something innovative and not settle for a helicopter design, BUT im sure any other design would also definitely fit a stealth bomber role. A terran steath bomber not neccesaryly needs only a choper design.

ok the dual engines actaully is not also innovative with the current choper design. my idea is to completelchange the look of the banshee and away from the helicopter look and still keep the dual engines. i would not bother, i i will just hope blizzard would try something different coz right the banshee sucks now with its role and firing single/dual missiles. it just basically looks like a 2030 apache firing single/dual missiles imo. not that its really a bad thing, but it could be something else with a better unique looking design.

actually right now, i want a new looking unit for the terran then just scrap the banshee choper design. the role could be the same but the helicopter look is gone. xp

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

by them way goliath was never innovative and original.

but they are exceptional since its from the first starcraft game. we have no or less idea of what other mechs looks like.

yes and most importantly , it was 10 years ago. cool back then.

mechs are always cool no matter what. choppers? nah, they need something or need something to look intersting.

but obviously right now if the goliath returns with the similar mech design in sc2, many will get pissed off not only bcoz its already old but bcoz the overall design doesn't feel right, new and innovative anymore.

see thats why we get the new viking. and the thor, not only bcoz its new but bcoz the design(head, back canons, bug gun arms, bulky) is very much refreshing compared to other mechs.

but the banshee, new maybe for starcraft, BUT we already seen this unit in many other sci fi settings. ok, if they want a chopper design, at least make it look a LOT different from other advance chopper design making it innovative. too bad if you are already satisfied with the simple advance chooper look. =\

and i thought giving it dual engines would help. since it will look a semi choppper semi hovering air craft. which is a good thing if you want overall innovation compared to rotors.

i just dont get excited about this unit, it just looks plain and passive and uninteresting. gameplay wise it maybe fun, but the overall look and design is just below average. i just feel it will be a waste if the banshee model gets in instead of other terran air possible model design... if they still have left or if they can create new ones.

im NOT talking about starcraft innovations(bcoz banshee being a chopper is starcraft first), no, but instead the overall innovation of modeling and creating and designing units by blizzard for starcraft.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    About the Viking and Banshee, you're still pretty much contradicting yourself. You're saying that one's unique because it can transform, but the other's not because it looks like other 'advanced' helicopters. That's comparing the function of one to the model of the other. The Viking's Ground Form model is not unique outside of StarCraft, but its function is. The same goes for the Banshee. The Banshee's model is not unique outside of StarCraft, but its function is. You say that the Banshee looking like other RTS helicopters makes it not ground breaking at all because they look the same, but according to that, the Viking is also not ground breaking. You can't compare the function of one unit to the model of another and say it's legit. If your reasoning for the Banshee being unoriginal is true, then the Viking is also unoriginal, but if the reasoning for the Banshee being unoriginal is false, then the Viking is also original. If your reasoning for the Viking being original is true, then the Banshee is also original, but if the reasoning for the Viking being original is false, then the Banshee is also unoriginal. At the moment you're arguing for one side and against the other, which means you're contradicting yourself.

Quick fixes like adding two cockpits or having missiles fire for the back do not work. There are reasons why we tend to not see such things. There is no need for two cockpits on a Banshee. It's not as though it's a Battlecruiser or a Thor, so they would only ever have one cockpit. The rear of a helicopter is just for stability. They main weight and support is on the front, which is why there aren't missile pods on many helicopters' tails.

You say that the overall feel of the first batch of images is the same as the Banshee, but so were all the images in all the other batches, excluding the ones that were not at all stealthy, and not at all Terran. I still don't understand why you posted them. Yes they were innovative and not of a helicopter design, but they did not represent Terran in the slightest. You might as well have posted images of biological aircrafts. They'd be innovative as well, but they definitely don't fit the Terran.

Saying things like 'I bet if this and the Banshee collided the Banshee would get smashed' is such a nothing argument for several reasons. Firstly, it's a purely hypothesised opinion so doesn't get anyone anywhere. I could say 'well in my opinion, the other craft would get smashed' and where are we then? Stalemate. Secondly, seeing as neither of them aren't designed to have a head on crash and that no-one would ever try and use them to crash or be crashed into, there's no reason to even bring it up, because so what if one of them was able to survive it? Neither of them would ever be in that situation. Thirdly, and lastly, it's the engines supports that are so thin, flimsy and fragile, and seeing as they'd be an incredibly common target in Air-to-Air encounters, they'd be a very poor design indeed.

If you admit that dual engines are not innovative, why would you want to change a great design that fits perfectly, into a new design that doesn't make logical sense and breaks up the lore and as a result the role, just so it "looks more less common"?

Lastly, don't double post. It seriously weakens your argument. However you're also contradicting yourself again when you say "mechs are always cool no matter what. choppers? nah, they need something or need something to look intersting". That's a purely subjective opinion. There isn't anything behind it. You're just saying 'I like mechs so they're acceptable but I don't like helicopters so they aren't'. So what if I were to say the opposite? Does that mean that Blizzard should change their VIking design because mechs always need something to look interesting? No, because that is purely my personal opinion, nothing more. There is no reason to redesign a new, popular model which which fits its role and the Terran extremely well just because someone says anything like that. The Banshee is new, it fits its role and it fits the Terran. There's not real point in talking about overall science fiction innovation, because pretty much everything has been done before so nothing much is an overall innovation any more. It's when they're put in context that they look much more unique and innovative, which is where the Banshee being the first helicopter in StarCraft comes into the equation.

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

Actually not only the Viking transformation is unique but also it looks. Just look at its air mode model, with the big rocket pod and wide flat angled looking shape, and Viking horn upfront of the cockpit.”

The mech mode looks also new compared to other mechs. The gatling is usual but other stuff like the missile pod and plane shape like cockpit with downward side horns looks at least looks semi unique.

Now the banshee on the other hand looks like any other rotor sci fi chopper outhere.

Model design is just self preference, blizzard can give a banshee a two cockpits or a completely different design on the other hand they could just make it look just like a helicopter just like it is now.

In sci fi and in the future everything works even multiple cockpits and missiles fire from the back even just for aesthetic and design.

The outside texture or skin may not look terran, but my point is the overall design and shape are innovative and can be terran. And that’s why I posted it.

Your comparing biological aircrafts with the pics I posted? Hahah very funny. Clearly not similar. Actually the battlecruiser looks more of a biological unit, a hammerhead shark.

The reason why I brought that up? Well you said that pic that I posted looks fragile etc… without even having a good reason but basing it only in look and design style. In sci fi there is more than what meets the eyes. I’ve seen thinner awkward looking mechs or star fighters owning stable normal looking one. Also the wraith looks fragile.

And about the collision, that’s just my rebut from what you said about the aircraft that I posted looks fragile etc.

Yes if it looks more less common, then its more exciting and fun to use unlike the rotors. Also hover engines looks cooler. Why not?

I did not double post. I reached the text limit.

Yes its subjective, but its one factor of how to make units more interesting and exciting.

No, if the mech looks common I wouldn’t like it. So if they will add or change something from the banshee to make it less similar to a common sci fi chopper then that’s more better for me.

Lastly, im obviously suggesting a new unique different look for the banshee for the main purpose of making it more interesting and exciting to use. I don’t care lorewise blizzard will just fix it up, its just right now imo the chopper design is jus boring and passive looking.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If you continually reach the word limit like that, stop quoting such massive chunks of text. Problem solved.

After reading that, I've come to the conclusion that you just don't like the Banshee's design. It's not that you necessarily think it's unTerran or uninnovative or anything, as it's obviously not uninnovative, it's just that you don't like this one design. You're able to overlook all the generic science fiction features of the Viking, in both Walker and Fighter form, but you can't seem to do so on the Banshee. Yes, the Banshee looks like a helicopter, but if you're arguing that so strongly and believe that so truly, you'd have to see that the Walker Form is just a generic mech and the Fighter Form is just a generic jet. If you honestly, emphasis on honestly, looked into all the deviantart images as closely and extensively as you did with the Banshee, I'm sure you'd find just as many images that resemble the Walker and Fighter Form of the Viking.

Lastly, there're a few points that you completely missed.

I'm not saying they looked like a biological aircraft, I'm saying that some of the images you proposed looked so unTerran, they might as well have been biological.

Just saying 'it's the future' is no reason to have flimsy looking ships. I don't even understand why you'd want them in the first place. If it looks flimsy and fragile, it will be flimsy and fragile. You might say something like 'but it's made from futuristic metal', but the thing is that so is everything else. A thin metal pole will always be weaker than a thick metal pole. If something's been made from a whole lot of thin metal poles, it will be weak.

Hover engines are not less common than rotors. That is why rotors are so innovative. Having hover engines will not make the game more exciting and fun and you're pretty much the only one who thinks they'd look cooler.