1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New D3 Class, The Wizard

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Hodl pu, Oct 10, 2008.

New D3 Class, The Wizard

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Hodl pu, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

besides that the D2 hydra sucked after 1.10, I see no other problem.

2. the8thark

the8thark New Member

I really like the ideas here. Still nothing yet made for a bow. My favourite Diablo weapon. I hope one of the last 2 classes are made for this.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    maybe an atatl or something more original than a bow for the ranged class?

4. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Good Idea. Great thinking. As long as it's physical ranged damage I'm not too worried what is dealing it out.

5. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The name does play a part though. In Sanctuary, Sorcerer/Sorceress seems to dictate a conventional spellcaster, whose magic is approved by the general populous. A Wizard seems to almost act as a derogatory term, appearing to be a blanket term for all spellcasters, and that's all. The reason it's derogatory in that sense it presumably the fact that it is used to state they're not sorcerer/esses, which are considered the 'good', better or educated spellcastes. Lastly, a Mage seems to be a World of WarCraft term and would give an excuse for more trolls and whiners to start complaining about how much Diablo3 sucks and how much it's just a copy of World of WarCraft.

I like the name Wizard. Especially how they've created this whole new context for the term, and haven't just given it some stereotypical name like Warlock or some other name that simply indicates an evil spellcaster.

As for the spells, I'm not a huge fan of most. Disintegrate is an awesome spell, but it needs a better visual. At the moment it's just like a piece of red string. A damned powerful piece of red string, but a piece of red string none the less. Also I reckon it should deal a lot more damage, but use up even more mana. It just seems like the kinda spell it would be, after all, Disintegrate shouldn't be something that takes time. If you Disintegrate something, it should disintegrate, not stand there for ages and then it finally disappears. However that said, I see it more as a utilitarian ability, like how we saw it cutting through supports, etc. Then there's Acid Cloud, which just seems like a weird ability for the Wizard. It's more something the Witch Doc would have. Well, not really, but more so than the Wizard. Lastly, I think Arcane Orb or whatever needs a total visual overhaul. At the moment it just seems to be a slow moving purple-y white orb that explodes in a purple-y white explosion.

However, I love the idea of the melee-orientated magic. I'm seriously considering having a Conjuring Wizard as my first character. Acid Cloud's a bit of a downer for it though...

Lastly, anyone know how many Spell points characters will get?

7. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Itza, you're right about the name to lore argument.
    And you mention one of the reasons why I love "wizard".

The outcast status.

You make an excellent point of how a wizard in diablo/sanctuary is an uncelebrated/accepted spellcaster. IMO the wizard does not overlap the necro skillwise. The wizard only follows same path of lore as the necro. A fearsomly powerful magic user who aligns with the NEUTRAL/dark side of the human struggle.