1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New building

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kuvasz, Jun 18, 2008.

New building

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kuvasz, Jun 18, 2008.

1. HatoXanadu

HatoXanadu New Member

So basically you're saying that you'd use it as a quick expansion building? Not a bad idea.

2. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I would absolutely love for the Nexus to have the Shield Battery integrated into the structure. I can't tell you how many times Shield Batteries have saved my life (as well as my resources :p)

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    That would make Probe harrassing near impossible though. Not good for balance.

4. HatoXanadu

HatoXanadu New Member

Mm....probe harassment <3

*Pokes probe*
    Gasmaskguy: HAY U
    Probe: LOLWUT?
    Probe: WUT?
    Probe: OMG....WUT?
    Probe: OMGSTFU!!
    *Probe blows up*
    Gasmaskguy: LOL

5. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Besides, it wouldn't have to be innate, it could be a tier 2-3 upgrade.

6. HatoXanadu

HatoXanadu New Member

If it was a tier 2-3 upgrade, I would expect it to cost more minerals (like 250-275) and some vespene maybe? (25-75)

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Well this steered right off topic.

The idea was to further distinguish the races by breaking the exact same mirror image the three races share with the main building>worker production+resource gathering structure. I decided to propose it for the Protoss because Zerg already have a special main building and Terran can lift off - so I thought why not leave the nexus useless and create this new building - making Protoss resource gathering a unique system. Of course it would raise balance issues, but this thread isn't meant to deal with balance - it's just raising the concept.

8. DotGet

DotGet New Member

I disagree with your point about not needing to discuss the balance problems. In fact, I'd say that's the most important part of the discussion. I could start my own thread about a super-unit for the protoss that deals four times as much damage as the Thor, and costs only half as much. Cool concept, right?

Simply put, your idea makes the game unbalanced. You're giving the protoss the chance to expand earlier on, while giving them some headroom for an extra zealot for defense. The whole reason fast-expanding is risky is because you're sacrificing minerals for a nexus instead of units or early tech. 100 extra minerals after an expand gives you all of the advantages of more minerals/gas later on, with little consequence.

Your idea works for mid and late game when the opposing player has the forces to destroy expansions - and the protoss player's decision to go for the cheap capacitor + pylon backfires. However, it gives an undeniable early-game advantage for protoss. There has to be balance at every level.

Making it a tier 2/3 building... nobody would use it. I guarantee they'd rather have a fully-functional nexus for that extra 100 minerals.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Hey, I've got an idea. How about making the Nexus able to allow Probes from another Nexus to teleport to another? Similar to the Nydus Worm system, only Probes are allowed to do so.

-Psi

10. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

The best thing I can think of is allowing the Nexus to be able to teleport the probes over for an energy cost *say 25 each?* That way, we keep the rather nifty teleport idea, the Nexus is unique, and the only thing to balance is *do we charge to upgrade EACH nexus, or does it come naturally...how much energy/do we use energy?*

Hmmm, what about taking 5-10% of the shields away when teleporting the probes. That will make you think harder if you will get attacked in the next minute or two after the transfer...

11. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Can I at least decide why I created my own thread? :D As I said, I did not intend this thread to perfect this building to make it ready to be implemented. I was raising the concept, whether or not it'd suit the race, suit the game, and suit the players. There's no point in discussing balance if the concept fails in one of the more core departments of the game.

12. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

It's ugly!
    :p

I like the idea, but I see where people are coming from on both sides of the spectrum. It would take a lot of work in order for it to be workable. I'd rather see the Nexus retrofitted with something new.