1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Battlecruisers Mega-Weapons

Discussion in 'Terran' started by LxMike, Oct 24, 2007.

?

No poll here, please move along.

1. ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

New Battlecruisers Mega-Weapons

Discussion in 'Terran' started by LxMike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Lockdown is at the moment not in the game.

Scourge, and any Zerg unit, would be killed by Soundwave.

Yamato Cannon is good against Carriers.

Warp Ray I guess would be the best Protoss counter, but the Zerg would have no real counter. Terrans I'm not sure about. The point being is that all three of those abilities is pretty darn powerful.

2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Soundwave bad idea
    Main reason SCIENCE!!
    In order to make sound, there must be a medium for which the vibration (vibration in this case is caused by vaporized nitrogen) to travel on. No medium, no sound. This idea would work if the BC was on a planet where there air, but there would not work in space because space is large vacuum of emptiness where there no medium for which sound can travel on.

3. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

I'd rather have little ships manned by troops docked in the BC that only attack air. but instead of just being a carrier clone, these would shoot refractors that stick to enemy, thus allowing BC attacks to jump like mutalisk attacks. up to 3 or 4 times sounds fair, as long as each jump target has a refractor too.

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe an upgrade so it can hold 2 or 3 wraith fighter?

5. The Watcher

The Watcher Guest

It definatly sounds like there are more upgrades to come, and some great suggestions for a few alternate powerups.

One I would think be interesting to see would be more of a support upg for a battle cruiser, like the original defense matrix, singular targeted, but beefed up. And maybe some other abilities on the support, or maybe defensive side. If it did exist, you'd only see a few in a group, which makes it even better imo.

I know it wont happen, but hey, why not suggest it?

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't like the idea of giving Battlecruisers even more variety in their choice of mega-weapon, especially with this Soundwave idea. So far, none of the units in the game are well rounded. All of them have one or more major weaknesses, and one or more major strengths. The Battlecruiser is great against tough, single units, like Carriers, Warp Rays, other Battlecruisers, Motherships, etc, because of their powerful Yamato Cannon. They are also good at taking on massed, weak - medium strengthed, ground units, like Protoss and Terran infantry, as well as Zerglings, Hydralisks, Stalkers, Cobras, etc, etc, because of their Plasma Torpedoes. So, summarizing they are good against all ground units, both tough and weak, as well as tough air units. This means their only weakness is against small - medium air units, like Pheonix, Vikings, Mutalisks, Scourges, etc, etc. If they were given Soundwave, then, in groups, they would be effective against any unit type. StarCraft2 is supposed to encourage unit diversity by having different strengths and weaknesses for each unit, forcing the player to not mass produce any unit, because the opponent could easily mass the counter. Even in late game, I believe that players will need to produce units from all unit producing buildings, because this would give them the diverse army they need to win. If Battlecruisers can be made to take on any role, then the player could mass Star-Ports, to produce tonnes of Battlecruisers, and forget about their Barracks and Factories.

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

than this would be their weakness: speed and energy costs
    the enemy should send his scourges in 3 different wave, or attack with cobras
    or we could give them a turn rate and use stalkers against them

8. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Exactly what hex said. Every unit must have a weakness, and this would effectively cover them all. Yamato vs tough units, plasma torpedos vs weaker ground units, soundwave vs weaker air. How would you stop a fleet of 20 BCs with a mixed balance of those three upgrades? Not to mention that 3 upgrades to choose from is a bit over the top. While it would make sense that the terrans would try to cover the weaknesses of their toughest unit it just wouldn't work game-wise.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I agree that the battlecruiser should NOT have a anti-air mega weapon.

I still support the idea for shields and additional batteries though. :D

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i say we give the BC a turn rate

11. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Yeah, the option of multiple batteries sounds fine. It would give the BC another attack, meaning that it can attack two units at once, but the damage it deals would be toned down a bit, let's say, if it has 30 attack with a single weapon it would now deal 20/20 with two. Dunno about the targeting system though.

I still think that it's unneccesary to give the BC any additional upgrades though.

12. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

The idea is to give him double shots for a set ammout of time as a mega weapon, that cost 150 energy. Think stimpack.

13. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    :). But I still think there's no need for that. It wouldn't nullify the BCs weaknesses but it would cover them to some degree. I say leave them as they are.

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

It just gives you more customization and more options. And since it woulnd completely cover its weakness it still has some weak spots its a good addition. But yeah, i dont mind if they dont get changed.

15. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

well?

16. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

@hillzagold
    i do not think the terran have the technology to do that

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Hillzagold. No. It would be a cross between Carriers and Mutalisks, like you said, which would make the Battlecruiser much more effective at massed air units. It isn't even an original idea, it just mixes together the unique mechanics of other units. Sorry to sound harsh, but it really wouldn't work at all.

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Battlecruisers should be able to blow itself up as an emergency take-everyone-down-with-me thing that does damage in a small area. Probably a bad idea, but still...

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I don;t think self destruct BCs are good.

Now Kamakaze banshes...

20. CarriersMustReturn

CarriersMustReturn New Member

Bombs-Drops bombs for a short period under the BC, you can move while doing it, and its weaker than plasma torpedo...
    Hey, Ive just noticed, that's planet cracker. =(