1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Battlecruisers Mega-Weapons

Discussion in 'Terran' started by LxMike, Oct 24, 2007.

?

No poll here, please move along.

1. ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

New Battlecruisers Mega-Weapons

Discussion in 'Terran' started by LxMike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Re: Battlecruiser Low orbit jump (Blink) ability

I´ve read your post, and I think you should´ve gotten more minerals for that ;). The idea is awsome, and I have been thinking about something like that myself, but you put it on "paper", so the honor belongs to you. It may need a little refining, but the whole concept is great! I also agree, that the BC shouldn´t be any faster. It´s still a big, and I mean BIG capital ship, and it shouldn´t be too fast.

The Terran dropship is not the slowest, the zerg overlord (with upgrade) is the slowest, while Protoss shuttle (with upgrade) is the fastest. The Terran dropship is in the middle. This is also true for transport hitpoints, as overlord has the most (200), dropship second (150), and shuttle third (80 hitpoints, 60 shields, 140 total).

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

I am wondering how the Phase prisim is going to stack in with it. I haven't seen a side by side speed comparison but I think the Dropship is probably faster so the terrans do have an advantage there.

Remember the reason some Terran units are slow is because they have high damage potential. The battle cruiser may be slower than a carrier but a yamato cannon and now the plasma torpedoes) can do a hell of a lot more damage in a very short tome than the carrier. Do you want one jumping into your base and yamatoing your infrastructure and torching your workers?

3. LxMike

LxMike New Member

maybe we can have 3 upgrade: yamato cannon or plasma torpedo or HYPERSPACE ENGINE ?

no, I compaired them side by side in the past, the overloard with the speed upgrade which is one of the first thing zerg player should do, will go faster them the terran dropship. So it is Shuttle-->Overlord(upgraded)-->Dropship (doesn't have any upgrade)

4. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Here´s a link: http://www.battle.net/scc/gs/trans.shtml. You can read it for yourself, it´s in the second paragraph.

And I haven´t done any "field exercises", but I trust the Compendium.
    I like the idea of three upgrades for the BC. The hyperspace engine might be a little OP, but with careful balancing, it could be possible. I´m looking up to it.

5. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I don't know about the blink ability or the afterburner. teleporting is for toss and a battlecruiser is WAY too big for an afterburner. Maybe the battlecruiser could fly up into high orbit (not hyperspace) and come back down somewhere else? Like it rises up to a higher altitude away from the battlefield to travel faster.

6. LxMike

LxMike New Member

Well I just made a test, the overlord has bigger acceleration then the dropship, but the dropship eventually beat the overlord

7. thrif

thrif New Member

Blink would be unfitting and overpowered. Afterburner sounds pretty dumb. Right now the BC is a behemoth that you can equip with abilities to devestate pretty much everything, it has to lack something. :p

8. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Thrif is right.

9. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

In the Terran demo, we heard

Well, it sure sounds to me like there are other mega-weapons on the horizon, or perhaps that will appear in the expansion that will surely come when Blizzard wants to make more money and has new ideas to fine-tune the game. I suggest:

Soundwave:

History:
    Realizing the continued vulnerability of the Minotaur and Hercules Battlecruiser designs to swarm attack by Zerg flyers, the Dominion fleet commanders devoted the best of their scientists to development of a new defense. The Plasma Torpedo array, devastating as it was, could not be targeted quickly enough to be effective against air units. However, dominion researchers did not overlook the great strength of the plasma torpedo techonlogy, or the extensive project devoted to developing its finely-tuned delivery system.

Building on the previous success, the scientists reconfigured plasma torpedo generators and focusing tubes to carry jets of highly compressed nitrogen gas. Inert and abundant, the gas could be stored in its liquid form, and like the plasma tubes themselves all the technology for that part of the weapon was already available. The new achievement of the dominion researchers was to rapidly vaporize the nitrogen and direct its flow through the plasma conduits at extremely high pressures to create resonant vibrations in biological tissue.

Used against small animals and later captured Zerg test subjects, the results high-frequency sound waves were found to do tremendous damage to living tissue over time, but were also easily blocked by the metal armor plating of terran vehicle units. At last, the dominion fleet had a counter to Kerrigan's numerical superiority.

Stats:
    - Energy 75
    - 12 damage per second to biological units in a radius of 200 from the focal point (includes protoss and terran infantry, all Zerg), 4 damage per second in a radius of 200-300 from the focal point
    - Duration eight seconds
    - Multiple Soundwave blasts from multiple cruisers do not stack

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

nice idea, anyone else got any?

11. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

bombardment/artillery cannons
    attacks like a siege tank but fire multiple rounds at one time

12. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Thanks! That's what I started the thread for, hoping others would chime in. It shouldn't be too hard to replicate these effects in SC2--I'm sure there will be ways to trigger-code it, or possibly even to just mod an existing spell.

I forgot to mention, I was thinking the Soundwave ability should slow biological units in its area of effect as well, rather like Ensnare but not to the same degree.

13. mcap

mcap Guest

i like the idea of a defensive battle cruiser

many hitpoints

weak attack

but able to stop incoming attacks (shot down missiles and match energy beams

i don't know what the rate of fire on it would be but couple it with two battle cruisers and a ground force and it could be the winged angel the terrans need

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Additional lazer batteries.

The additional lazer batteries can be activated to basically double the battlecruisers' attacks, but because they use up too much energy can only be sustained for a limited ammount of time.

150 energy. Im not sure what an appropriate time would be, maybe 10-20 seconds?

Instead of shooting down missles and what not, i wouldnt mind an upgrade that gives the battle cruiser shields.

I mean cmon, he already says " Shields up, weapons online."

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

yeh but the line after that is: no shields, aw well, than buckle up

16. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    thats not how it goes its: shields up, weapons online,... not equipped with shields, well then buckle up

17. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I like that idea! The only problem is that with Plasma Torpedo (devastation against ground targets), Yamato Cannon (large damage to a single target), and Soundwave (devastation against biological targets), a massed Battlecruiser fleet would have no weaknesses. Something needs to be able to counter it!

18. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    lock down, scourge, carriers

19. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

I made a Starcraft campaign back in 1999 called "Stormfront" where the hero Battlecruisers had shields. StarEdit, man!

I do like the ideas of both shields and additional laser power for a short duration. Both of them would be easily doable within the WC3 editor, so I would assume that the SC2 editor will have enough functionality for this purpose.

As for a massed battlecruiser fleet having no weaknesses, sure it would--Defilers! Devourers! Warp Rays! In the original game, those were the primary means of defeating mass BCs anyway--and back then massed BCs hardly had any weaknesses at all!

It is a fair point, though, that Soundwave plus Plasma Torpedoes might make the BCs too powerful against a Zerg player IF the Zerg are just the same as they always were, but I suspect that they're engineering the Zerg very carefully to throw a monkey wrench in capital ship attacks, with multiple redundant strategies they can use against such offensives (not just Defiler, Plague + Dark Swarm).

20. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Interestingly, Soundwave would be effective against scourges if it weakened them enough that one BC shot would kill them. Also, if Soundwave were projectable over a long range, then Soundwave alone would kill Scourges and possibly even mutalisks. So, perhaps Soundwave should have a minimum range of about 400--it would make sense, too--such weapons do have some degree of range, but not THAT much.

And, of course, Soundwave should be equally damaging to friendly and enemy units... as should Plasma Torpedoes.