1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mutalisks

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Indigent, Aug 15, 2007.

?

How many evolutions should their be for the mutualisk?

1. I don't use them, I'd only mutalisk for air assualts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The devourers only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The guardians only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Both evolutions please.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I want more evolutions for mutalisks!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No evolutions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Mutalisks

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Indigent, Aug 15, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Which is why I said the more I think about it that they wouldn't do it. I didn't say it was WRONG for the Thor to be cheaper. You're paying the extra minerals per unit for the increase in efficiency. Or in the case of the Thor for extra brute force.

That's why I said it depends on what units the Zerg are given. I'm sure there will be something tasty in Tier 3 to counter the Thor. Don't forget its tough for us Zergy strategists as all we have to go on is the units in SC1 and our imagination.

2. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

zergs could use a big melee air unit, and scourging colossi could be fun

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I doubt they'll be giving us any large air units that attack ground. Hopefully something to counter large capital ships. Especially with the Mothership around....

Who knows? They've said that the new Zerg race is "whacky and crazy."

4. Indigent

Indigent New Member

That doesn't sound like the words they would use..

5. moobox

moobox Member

With this question I am sort of torn. I would love to see different mutations made available to the Mutalisk, but I don't think it would be a good idea for the Mutalisk to have 3 or 4 different ones available.

I can see Blizzard axing the Guardian for a couple of reasons. I think the Devourer is a fairly unique and useful unit that I can see staying in the game, and if it does chances are that Devourer will still come from Mutalisk mutation. Also I can see them replacing Guardians function by a new unit, either plain purpose or a versatile and flexible Zerg addition that can bombard ground from air.

As for other possible Mutalisk mutations, I'm having a hard time coming up with good ideas.

Only one I can really think of is that one of the new Mutalisk mutation doesn't morph it into an entirely new unit, but enhances the Mutalisk or makes a "super" Mutalisk. Some ideas for this could be the super Mutalisk has slightly increased armor and/or attack and/or hp, faster (or slower, depending on how great the other advantages or 'upgrades' are to the super Mutalisk) flying speed, short range detector, gives the super Mutalisk 1 or 2 spell abilities.

Too tired to think of a semi-balanced and feasible unit based off of those ideas right now, but maybe somebody else can.

6. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i only think 2 mutations are needed for the mutalisk. the gaurdian and something better than the devourer.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Devourers weren't all that bad, all they need to become more useful is attack speed.

8. moobox

moobox Member

Completely the opposite I think. Devourer was very a very strategically unique air unit. Look for remy's posts about it and I pretty much agree with and share many of the points that he makes. Guardians weren't that good. Too costly in food source and minerals, despite it's range/sight advantage there were so many counters to the Guardian if you are a good player.

Keep the Devourer with some changes to it, get rid of the Guardian and give the Mutalisk a different option to replace the Guardian.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    A way to improve the guardian could be to have pneumatized carpice work on it too so it can get in and out faster

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ Indigent , actually those were the EXACT words that Dev used to describe the Zerg in an interview I watched.

11. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Holy !@#$!@#?!!!

12. moobox

moobox Member

Although I'm fairly impressed with what they have done with both generally with the Terran and Protoss races, a little part inside of me believes that Zerg will blow us away. That doesn't mean that it's going to be terribly imbalanced and Zerg will own every other race, but in terms of uniqueness and evolution of core Zerg principles it will be great to see what they come up with in.

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Welcome to the forums Moobox. I agree with you. I personally find the devourer to be the much better muta evolution, and the guardian is just alright. I wouldn't mind it if they scrapped the guardian, but Zerg would still need at least one unit capable of siege(as in longer than tower attack range).

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hey SC was partially inspired by Starship Troopers from what I have heard.  What about something like the bugs that farted plasma as the new Zerg artillery

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Zerg farting plasma? Plasma's a technology kind of thing, not a gross slimy monster thing. And SC was partially inspired by nearly every single good sci-fi whatever out there.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Zerg can travel at superluminal speed. Besides it doesn't have to be plasma it could be acid I am just saying the bug from starship troopers I was talking about shot plasma

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I never saw Starship Troopers, so I guess I can't say much on it.

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the basic "bug" does look a little like zergling

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The new basic zergling looks like a bug though

20. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Yeah because of it's wing kinda thing's? , I thought so to so they should have them more of a runner then a flyer / hopper thingy insted.