1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mutalisks Return!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Arachanox, Jun 17, 2007.

Mutalisks Return!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Arachanox, Jun 17, 2007.

1. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Early in regular SC, the damage type of Goliaths and the units size of Mutas, had the Goliaths doing evenless damage to Mutas, I think 25% of its "real" damage. 12 Mutas would destroy 12 Goliaths. Not to mention massing Zerglings with Mutas was a common and effective strat, and the goliaths would stand no chance. Sci Vessles were useless, iradiate sucked, and Battlecrusiers could be easily overwhelmed by mass mutas, some scourge, and maybe a plague or two. There was a time when Terran was a fully inferior race.

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

2. paragon

paragon Guest

And goliaths would be supported by tanks and bats and marines. And thats why I said large numbers of goliaths. But yes, I am well aware of the time when zerg was OP.

3. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Yea. For the love of god, as marginally effective as the terrans were at partially repelling the mutas, they still could not come close to their mobility, the mutas could fly around with some OLS and maybe a queen or two, destroying expansions as they please...as turrets were more expensive, and did half the damage they do now (they were useless and not even marginally cost effective against mutas).

I always thought it was pretty ironic how the dominance of the Muta was pretty much nerfed in Brood War.

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

4. mc2

mc2 New Member

I personally think wraiths are more effectively against mutalisks, and it's cheaper than valkyries too.
    By the time a zerg player can mass mutalisks, a terran player should have a fair amount of anti-air already to counter the mutas. Beside they have the scanning sweeps so they can spy on zerg opponent's strategy. Apart from goliaths and turrets and valks, M+M can also counter mass mutas.

it's nice to see muta return too, I think the zerg should have a stronger air unit by merging a guardian and a devourer

5. Zerat

Zerat New Member

the power of the swarm was in it's numbers, all of the units are not very strong, but not very expencive, the zerg way of playing is to get tons of zerg to atack, not 1, 2 grops but to get like 8 grups of zerglings and 2 of some anty air support like muta or hydra

6. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    eh when I play as terran (although rarely :D), I prefer the goliaths over most units. I think it's the most versatile unit in terms of anti-air and decent ground attack. Put a couple of SCVs, some firebats, and a little bit of micro and you've got a formidable force. 12 Goliaths imo can handle 12 mutas but not 24+ upgraded zerglings.

@PrivateJoker:

I still don't see how mutas are unstoppable before BW. I mean if you have 24+ mutas attacking a few turrets then of course its gonna win. I think terran have plenty of ways to stop mutas. You have cloaked wraiths, goliaths, stim marines, and the science vessel using irradiate. I see no problem taking care of mutalisks when countered right. That's the beauty of starcraft. haha and don't get me worked up on the protoss... psionic storm ftw!

7. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Basically, the High Templar is the Protoss's most versatile most powerful unit. It turns the tables on pivotal battles and are great at defending photon cannoned expansions.

High Templars used to be even more powerful, but Blizz SLIGHTLY downgraded their psi storm to do less total damage.

8. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

cough cough ultralisk cough cough

9. paragon

paragon Guest

but who actually gets ultralisks?
    Well, recently a computer got ultras and sent them against my tanks and goliaths. tanks blasted them till they got close, goliaths finished off their few HP. Even managed to micro 3 goliaths good enough to kill a ultralisk from full HP and not lose any of the three goliaths.

10. Piretes

Piretes New Member

A computer using Ultras? That's gotta be a first. Sometimes when I do a 1v3 Melee on say, a 256x256 map with abundant expos, the Toss will tech Carrier and sometimes I neglect to harass a Terran who eventually catches me off my gaurd with some BCs, but the farthest a Zerg Comp has ever gotten is Gaurdians on Island Maps. Hmm.

On the subject of Mutas, great stuff! Never doubted that they would be left out..

11. paragon

paragon Guest

Surprised me too. It got like 10 of them too.

12. thiefingdude

thiefingdude New Member

Ah! So that's how Protoss reproduce!

13. paragon

paragon Guest

yeah. and zergling rape-age

14. lilchibikun

lilchibikun New Member

the mutalisks look like flying ugly cars, >>as said from someone in another topic<<

15. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    lol. and i always thought that the mutalisk only has a mouth without a face.

btw, do they still evolve into guardians and devourers or something else?

16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Mutalisks were soo good for harassing :) im glad they came back. I just hope zerg get better air counters cuz Scourge sucked past 5 minutes of having them.

17. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

I hope they buff them up a bit. They die a bit too fast

18. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

the mutalisk is a survivor yo. the question is. is there a new thing he can evolve to. or did he lose one. or maybe he exchanged one for a different one.

19. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

can we still stack them??
    i wanna stack them T~T

20. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

i doubt any unit will be able to stack now. i mean blizzard made a patch that killed zerg's burrow stack glitch. if you don't know it don't worry about.... actually here it is. hotkey one hydra to X (any number) then borrow it. next get the units you want stacked and click fast ( not too fast) U ctrl+X X U i think that was it. not to sure. it's been awhile since i've done the glitch. and now it's impossible. unless you hacked or are somehow playing without the new patch.