1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muiltiple Hydra Strains

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by KaZoN, Jul 23, 2007.

Muiltiple Hydra Strains

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by KaZoN, Jul 23, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

or you could make it melee and have it replace the Ultralisk.

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

The whole Hunter idea is good but then it would look exactly the same except it would have more hp and damage. Still hydralisk have giant syth arms and everything, why can't they use them like we saw in Starcraft Ghost.Besides there would be no hero units introduced in the actuall gameplay, remember??

Lol in all this whole chat. I really like the whole evolution from zergling and hydra and mutalisk and everything. Then it would make sense instead of an ultralisk taking a long time to build and everything.
    Larvae --->Zergling ---> Ultralisks. Maybe add a little more in between the zergling and ultralisk.

3. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

I'm not real keen on the hunter killer idea using the scythe arms. It would be too much like the zergling that the zergling would be phased out and useless 5 minutes into a match. if the hydra were to evolve to something else, it would need to be something very different, like the lurker in SC1. The lurker had similarities to the hydra, but it was very different and used in a very different role. The hunter killer sounds too similar to the original hydra and it would replace zergling's melee role too closely. Although I didn't mind the idea of cliff climbing, but maybe just give that ability to the normal hydra. that can be the use of the scythes.

By the way... have hydras even been confirmed in SC2?

4. burkid

burkid New Member

which is why i said have it replace the ultra.

theres a bunch of concept art for hydras on the site, and they are in the cinematic trailer twice.

5. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

No, what i'm saying is if you change the hunter killer's look, then it wouldn't be a hunter killer, because a hunter killer is specifically referring to a hero hydralisk, not something that looks different. There should be a new name for it.

6. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

it should just be slightly bigger, with longer scythes

7. mc2

mc2 New Member

Probably not necessarily have to be different strains of Hydralisks. But I want to see more Zerg ground units that is capable of attack air. Hydralisks were the only ground unit for the zerg in starcraft 1 to attack air. And that needs to be improved. A slightly stronger ground unit that have a similar range to the hydra and can attack air. I was anticipating something that has a HP of 130 and has an attack of 18+6.

theoneinpower, yes hydralisks are unofficially confirmed to make a return in stacraft 2.

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Timedragon888 although I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the specifics of a unit's appearance is hugely relevant to a unit's name sake. Looking at the zergling, in SC1 the description of its appearance would include mention of it being a wingless creature, but now it has wings. Not really a big deal, much less for the hunter killer.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

@ timedragon, since you are insistant of it being a hero, have some lore (that im pulling out of my ass)

the hunter killer was a stronger strain of hydralisk, ten years ago. over that time, both strains evolved in different directions, the hydralisk now has 3 scythe-blades on the arms rather than 1. the hunter killer however, when and became larger, bulkier, and faster, with bigger blades and a much higher metabolism, making it the perfect tank, while having lost its ranged needle spines in the process.

10. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Are you talking about in Starcraft I or just confirming what timedragon said. Cause I thought that in Starcraft I you could range. And I thought that he said something about it able to do both or something. As in shoot air and melee when they get close enough.

11. burkid

burkid New Member

i was talking about the new idea kehmdaddy had about a hydralisk evolution called hunter killer. timedragon was stuck on the fact that it was a hero hydra in SC1, so i gave some lore as to why it could be possible to be an evolution in SC2.

12. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

EDIT: Ok, the following post hasn't cam out as clear as I hoped, but never mind it. i'll try and rewrite it some other time, because I'm not making it clearer as hard as I try... o_O

Yeah, it would be nice to see the zergs adapting in the field. If you keep everything with the larvae, then it takes longer to adapt, and you have to choose more carefully before making a unit. But if you have only 3 options, then you can make Hydras ahead, and choose further after the units are ready. It's greater independence from the hatchery. It's very Zergish (the lifeforce you cannot stop from beeing bred).

Since the hatcheries were already hard to be stoped, with after-birth mutation, it would be even harder, as you would go on ahead breeding as many zergs as you could, and killing your hatcheries wouldn't even make sense now. Beeing the Hatchery a tougher creature spawning structure, that would have a copy as expansion soon anyway, it was easier to try and kill the specialized structures nearby instead, with less HP, but that would only prevented the birth of it's particular form. There was no easy way around it. And if Zergs now breed right away the most they can, there will be an enourmous structure independence which will make it even more dificult to stop them.

It's the best idea for buffing zergs I've seen so far.

13. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

This is a good idea, but maybe both the hatchery evolutions and after-birth mutations can be added together so that the zerg will become even more powerful.

I just wanted to see more new creatures in starcraft 2, make the units more unique and different from each other. I was hoping that the hunter killers would remain as a hero so that there can be more evolutions for the hydra.

14. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    There should be an upgrade where you could make your hydralisk explode and it will deal like 100 damage to surrounding units...? All the spines shoot out.

15. Steve22x

Steve22x New Member

I'd rather see a new strain of zerg personally since theres really only 3 and their mutations but since the zerg evolve rather than diversify then maybe new mutations would keep to the continuity of the story. Either I want more zerg!

16. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Hydralisks are already feared! In numbers.

17. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

Hydralisks are already feared by any terran non-mechanical unit anyway. ;-)

Why ppl are suddenly expecting all zergs to explode? Ain't it enough that zerglings can explode? What you ppl want, lurker-land-mines?? lol Soon you'll want the Ultralisks to explode as a Nuke inside a terran base: their tough body is just enough for them to get close enough under fire and then explode, lol!

These are zergs, not suicide terrorists! xD

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Zergs were feared as suicidal maniacs in the first game. 120 damaging Scourge and 500 Infested Terran.

Although IT's were rarely used.

19. Indigent

Indigent New Member

That is exactly what I thought of zerg in the first place. Terrorist. They are cheap and cannot afford to luanch nukes and they love guns so even kids have grenades. There are like so many and they blow themselves up to serve their god(s?).