1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTHERSHIP @ StarCraft2.com

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Sep 6, 2007.

MOTHERSHIP @ StarCraft2.com

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Nah I'm more for Zerg. But would you agree that scourges would own it :) also a few lurkers would help with any units it may be hiding.

my main point is that the MS isn't invincible and its not gonna be the deciding factor for the toss if they make one. Unless the terran player sucks.

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    There are several armour and attack types with unique bonuses for individual units IIRC so if the scourge gets into SC2 it might have an attack type that does moderate-low damage to an MS. Don't forget, balance is top priority here and I don't think a few cheap scourges destroying a Mothership would make much sense.

3. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

why not a few cheap scourges owned bc's and carriers in sc1.

4. kuvasz

Hungary
    That's exactly the reason. I think you're missing the point with the Mothership. It is more expensive than Carriers or Battlecruisers, it is more powerful than those, it is more useful than those (in most cases). It is a special unit with a max cap on it, it shouldn't just be taken down by a few (3-4) cheap, primitive creatures!
    Yes, I'm a Protoss fan and I apologise for being unfair in their favour ;D

5. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Okay so instead of 3-4 scourges send a cheap dozen :) any way you look at it the MS gets pwned by zerg. The overwhelming forces give it to much of a task to handle. Unless the corsair is making a comeback the MS will get torn to bits by thousands upon thousands of units. Because lets face it thats what the zerg are good for. O yeah... And would an EMP from a Nomad would make that MS pretty useless seeing as how its shields and PSI would drop to 0.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Heres an idea. Scourge cantake it out but it takes a decent ammount but since the MS can fire a salvo of missilesthat seem to be able to independently target if it can shoot air again then the missiles will make a good enough defense by taking out several of the scourge. Then you would have to send a swarm to kill it

7. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

But isn't that wat the zerg do anyhow? Send swarms? And The fire rate of the MS wasn't that fast. I doubt it could take 12-24 scourges all out and once. And you can send them at a steady rate. Combined with devourers and Mutalisks. The MS would need to choose between attacking the scourges or attacking the Devourer/Mutalisks.

8. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Can ground and air units move when inside the timebomb?

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Devoreors have a large price tag.  One thing is though it wont be just the MS you will have phoenixes and carriers in the mix.  With the phoenix's overload ability I wonder about the usefulness of the scourge against any Protoss unit

I believe so LT but only very slowly

10. kuvasz

Hungary
    That just doesn't make sense, sorry. It's like saying "that Battlecruiser thinks it's so smart, wait till I send 10 Stalkers and 20 Warp Rays at it.
    Of course that amount of Zerg would take out the Mothership - that swarm would cost 4-5 times the price of a Mothership!

11. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    quite a waste of money and besides the mothership wont be alone, its got plenty of assistance. to deal with the zerg swarm. wouldnt it be cool if it could land and build a special ground unit or something, or spread its cloak shield or actual protective shield.

12. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

yeah seradin, i posted a simliar idea of it being able to warp down land units
    not instantaneous, but with build cost and build time
    I figure if the thing is a floating CITY or "primary command ship" dont you think that it could carry a few untis or have some military units to drop.

We cant make the protoss mothership invincible

I think u should only have 1 mothership per protoss team
    everyone has played a game where they get to the end and have tens of thousands of resources left over
    thats plenty to spawn a whole army of motherships, and with theier amazing capabilities, that would be imbalanced.

and when it is in cloak mode can it move?

13. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

blizzard has never said it was a 'floating city'

14. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

hmmm... i thought i heard that somewhere....

but i still support my idea
    its a massive "primary command ship"
    It would be very beneficial to warp in units
    it could hold a position and assemble a small army on its own.
    I guess if its a balance issue, it could have a longer build time / more cost (because it would eliminate the need for buildings)

15. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I heard that they called it the floating city but i can't remember when. :-[

16. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

ooooo ur icon moves -- i didnt notice that
    and ur red font draws attention to ur posts

who cares about the tiny specifics

do u guys have any opinions about the idea itself?

17. -LT-

-LT- New Member

;D :thumbup: I'm glad that you noticed. :powerup:

18. headstock

headstock New Member

i absolutley love the new mothership, pure gold as far as im concerned.

and the way they've changed the time bomb was a great way to keep the concept of the weapon, yet alter it to be on par with the way the mothership has changed from a superunit. superunit: timebomb was based around itself, an inward defence. non-superunit: timebomb is an outward attack. i reckon thats really clever.

seems to be alot of negativity towards the mothership, everyone seems to want the old superunit back. i absolutley love the new one though, reckon its great.

and i hated the black hole, thought it took away from any micro. being able to wipe out a fleet at the click of a button.. never sat well with me

19. burkid

burkid New Member

timebomb was never "based around itself". people always assume that. but if you watch the initial video closely, you can see timebomb be selected where its casted, just like now, just the mothership happened to be right there too.

20. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Can units move inside the timebomb?