1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTHERSHIP @ StarCraft2.com

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Sep 6, 2007.

MOTHERSHIP @ StarCraft2.com

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Sep 6, 2007.

1. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha I really like the mothership now. The time bomb being deployed anywhere is a good idea, the planet cracker is awesome, and the cloak field is cool too. yay!!

2. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

There were a couple of videos which had shown different gameplays with the mothership.

The first video, in the worldwide Blizzard invitation has shown a mothership that hit a terran base by the planet cracker. the player just needed to move the mothership and the rays attacked and killed the marines even if the big blue ray was not exactly on the marines.
    But in the latest video we see two motherships trying to kill the SCVs but don't succeed because they are moving, however the big blue ray is near them.
    I noticed another thing about the planet cracker : in the first video we see a lot of electricity, a lot of thunders, and the move to hit the enemies, the marines, but with the last video we just see NON-interactive thunders.

We also see in both of the videos that the mothership attacks ground AND air units. This unit has those abilities.

3. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I guess they could improve the look of the planetcracker.

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

the old one in WWI planet cracker looks 10x better than what we have now. change it back!

5. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Yap! cracker now, looks not powerful like the first one, and i loved the first one that you can warp only one mothership :) right :)

6. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

I love the claoking field - think its a great idea

I love time bombs - very useful and gamechanging

I am a bit dissappointed in the new planet cracker - seems wimpy, one single, thin, column that hits the ground and these revolving arcs. I watched it in the video and soon after the beam touches down, it passes by an SCV, the beam goes right by it and doesnt hurt it. So it looks like it only does damage at that single point of contact :bad:

seems like more of a moon cracker or meteor cracker ;)

I liked when it blasted the ground with lasers
    I understand that there are issues of balance but still i liked the fisrt planet cracker, if they needed it to be weaker all they had to do was make it do less damage and or have a longer cooldown / more energy cost.

Im guessing that they thinned the planet cracker because it filled the battlefield with lasers, it would be hard to direct troops when the planet cracker covers the view with lasers, however thats where the camera angle pivot and zoom are handy.

I miss black hole - but ill get over it - seems a bit overpowered (entire airforce instantly gone)
    i think trading cloak for black hole was pretty even

It would be cool if the mothership could warp down zealots (still with build cost and wait)
    For a floating city you would think it could carry a unit or two.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm sticking to my guns in that the MS needs to be a super unit. There's no doubt in my mind and I'm VERY firm in my opinion.

The planet cracker should be so powerful that if a Marine or SCV was touched by it, it almost dies instantaneously. Why? Because there's only one Motherhship (or should be ;)).

Also... to address this AA concern... if the MS was a super unit, what if you made it so that it was "higher" on the screen than all other air units... like if a MS and a Carrier were on the same point in the map, the MS would always be on top because it had a higher "altitude."

Then the planet cracker, and ONLY the planet cracker, could be used on enemy air units as well. Seems quite balanced as the MS would have to literally go OVER the other unit. It would basically have to be holding still.

"HOLD STEEEEELLL!"

8. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I agree with the ability for this super unit, the MS, to also attack the air units ! As said again and again, the MS is a RARE unit, so it should be alone in the battlefield. I mean no other MS for one player. However this lone unit is so powerful that I think that's like cheat to get it.
    Of course for the campaign, no problem, but in multiplayer you'll take time to create marines, or zerglings, or battlecruisers, and then when only one player will get the MS you'll nearly loose the game.

I know the MS needs ENERGY to use its powers. So the game is balanced. I just hope that it will be possible for the enemy to destroy this super unit. I worry about how many time the player will use the planet cracker ,and the black hole. But for this last ability I think the field of action of this attack (or defense) must be a bit less high

9. burkid

burkid New Member

the MS isnt supposed to be a "instant win" unit. it will be a heavy support unit that can do a ton of damage on its own, and even more in an army, and will be hard to take down, but will still be able to be killed.

im against the "1 per battlefield" idea of the MS, but i am completely for the "1 per player" MS. this new one sucks.

10. perfey

perfey New Member

I really hope they bring back the original Mothership

The new 1 is cool but it sucks hairballs compared to the first version.

11. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Why don't they just kill the mothership and bring back the arbiter. Also as far as it being overpowered for othe races. Couldn't regular base defenses pwn the crap out of it? I mean. I didn't see it take on any in the video at the WWI. A few bunkers or turrets could rape one of those so could stimmed marines. Theres dozens of strategies you could use to take one of these things out and it would be usefull to the terrans because once its dead your enemy probably wasted his minerals and gas. Another thing is that I don't see a mothership stopping any scourges so it wont stand much against the zerg. It wasn't that powerful to begin with. The original design wasn't as strong as you guys thought. I mean it also relies on Psi so it can't do all those powers at once. If it does the planet cracker then you attack it with vikings and when it attempts to do a black whole you change vikings into their mech form and kill it. By the time it does just the planet cracker it would need a large amount of time to recharge. The only reason it did it in the WWI demo was because blizzard used a cheat code or something to give it extra Psi.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The created, designed the mothership, talked about this unit so many time, and are proud to present that unit ... that I don't believe they will just delete it. It will be developped to be or a very powerful unit, or to be a "simple" unit.
    This unit can be overpowered just in the use of its energy If it has enough energy every time, nothing can be done against it.
    As for the reaper, he exists, but the firebat ? :no: They said that he will appear in SC2, but as long as we don't see him we are not sure he will arrive.

13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    "A few bunkers or turrets could rape one of those" just LOL. Hint: Time Bomb ;) especially since the MS doesn't have an ability that would be used before getting to those defenses. Cloaking field would make it stop and if the army doesn't stop (or the MS is all alone but that is not probable) then what's the point in casting it? :D And Planet Cracker is useless against units so... the MS would have full energy by the time it got there. Time Bomb the whole place and take out everything one by one.

14. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

thats if time bomb works on buildings. Plus the cloak won't mean a thing with detectors in it. Also I doubt the timebomb runs for ever It will be like lockdown and stasis on SC1 it shuts down after a short period of time. Plus again scourges would own it. And your not taking the Psi into account. I doubt it can Timebomb everything in a base. It wouldn't make sense for it not to require a decent amount of Psi. Vikings could still own it by tricking the player into using its blackwhole ability then changing the vikings from air to ground. And I bet you could use restore on timebombed units. Its not that powerful you just gotta think around it.

15. kuvasz

Hungary
    Of course it works! Haven't you seen the Mothership in the videos released? It works for every kind of projectile but I'm assuming it only blocks attacks from ground.

16. burkid

burkid New Member

time bomb affects all units and all attacks.

17. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Okay they use it on base defenses and then its boned because they used up the Psi. You just send in additional forces to take it out.

18. kuvasz

Hungary
    And you think the Protoss won't have additional forces to bring along? I don't think anyone will use the Mothership on its own, Protoss players will definitely send backup for it, move The Mothership behind the frontline to avoid focused fire then move it back to the front to support the army.

19. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Then you have air focus on the MS and ground focus on what ever else is there. Restore again could bring base defenses back online (if it works the way it did on SC1) then the entire attack is pointless. Plus this all depends on what both sides have. If they got a few thors or bc's waiting in the back of the base while the protoss r time bombing the defenses then their boned.

20. kuvasz

Hungary
    I'm glad you like to think about Protoss being boned :D but there's not much point in discussing the outcome of a battle if we don't define each side's units. I assume you're a Terran fan but I have to break it to you: the Protoss also have very powerful units, especially when it comes to expensive units such as Thors or Battlecruisers.