1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTHERSHIP @ StarCraft2.com

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Sep 6, 2007.

MOTHERSHIP @ StarCraft2.com

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Sep 6, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

uhm. wheres the black hole?

wow. so we get multiple motherships now or just 2?

i think 2 or 3 motherships during the whole game is fair enough. give each motherships unique ability.

why is the stalker attacks is long range? stalker will be a multipupose unit like the dragoon which sucks. nerf the stalkers DOWN blizzard.

2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i know it no big deal but i would be nice that earth cracker show some impact when it hits some buildings. Also does the time bomb stop the bunkers attacks also? AND OMG the planetary fortress doesnt attack Air!!!

3. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I very much agree, and besides, how can sites like 1up call any particular unit OP at the pre-Alpha stage. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest such a thing. Bring back the original concept and wait until alpha to do balancing.

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

sweet. looks pretty neat.
    btw, female protoss is the mother ship commander. pretty neat.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    So it's not a superunit.... it's gonna be retarded.

By the way, being posted on their website only means that's its 90% definite the unit will be included in the game. It has NO bearing on its power or abilities. Plus, any of this can still change.

6. burkid

burkid New Member

well, yay info!
    nay, gay, un-super motherships!
    balance how it used to be, dont screw it over by making it like every other unit.

7. WonderBoy

WonderBoy New Member

Awesome! so this is official right? no more surprise changes? its on the official website, therefore its locked in and that's the way it its, correct?

Also, anyone notice how the mothership AND colossus were both stashed away in a far of region and retired of use? seems like the protoss' most powerful weapons are the ones from the past

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Dude the Black hole took out a whoel fleet it was over powered. but then so is everything in an alpha. They just over nerfed it.

It is good someone called Blizz on the problem what is bad is how Blizz reacted to it

9. Wrathbringer

Wrathbringer New Member

Actually they release new units every Thursday, or at least close to that day. It's been like that for quite a while now.

I don't like how Blizzard advertised the Mothership as this all powerful unit that can take on whole planets single handedly, yet show two taking on a small Terran base. They should have at least changed the background to it to make it seem it's plausible to have more than one MS on a battlefield at any one time, but right now what's written on the site is far from it.

I also agree that the old Planet Cracker animation was better, this one seems a bit wimpy to me.

Not even close, the Warp Ray was the Protoss capital ship up until Blizzcon, where the Carrier returned to it's former glory. Blizzard can still change whatever they want whenever, just because it's on their website doesn't mean that it's set in stone.

10. [JFC]

[JFC] Clan Empire

the first planet cracker animation was much better to me

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They advertised it as a unit that can single handedly take on a planet because it used to be able to. The new version is a weak ass piece of crap I will probably not use much.

12. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I havent checked the B.ent forums in a while but it seems like alot of people want the Mothership back as a super unit instead of the support unit it is now. And as for it being on the site i personally just see it meaning there is very good chance the unit will be in the game but as for the units abilities who knows. Just look at the warp ray on the site (like someone mentioned earlier) it has a dark templar color shceme now not the high templar color shceme thats shown on the site. (That is assuming im not severely misinformed)

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They need to fix that as I have yet to see the DT scheme on the warp ray. I thought the DT carrier and HT warp ray was fine. They said they were bringin bact the carrier but all they have doen is to change the paint scheme what kind of crap is that. It isn't that everyone hated the Tempest it was everyone hating the shurikens. Fix that insteadbecause the hard shield was great.

I am getting a little annoyed with the constant over compensation. I wonder and hope they are only doing it to gauge out responses and not planning on the changes being in he final game

14. b0urne

b0urne New Member

contrary to what most of you have said, i actually prefer the MS not to be a super unit. has anyone played the C&C where you can get either a weather storm or a nuke, also known as "super weapons"? well this was an option to every game and i always turned the option off, because suddenly, it became a race to see who could get the first super weapon and who could detonate it without someone else taking out the building that produced it. this is why i love sc. nothing is super, everything is balanced, and every other unit is used for some kind of support for another unit.

so to blizzard: i'm all for the nerfing and black hole looked VERY cool but it isn't a necessity

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The thing is only Protoss got a super unit so the race will be less. Aslo superweapons were usually a good way to pucsh the game along becuase from what I have encountered people only strat building them after a few attacks have failed and it helps to end a stalemate by forcing the enemy to leave his base or lose his base.

It isn't the fact the MS s no longer a super unit as much as the abilities it now has were over nerfed. The planet cracker now has aloms zero AoE making it so much less useful and the cloak requires the MS to jst sit there. It can't even fire while cloaking units.

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I think alot of people are gettting the wrong idea about the Mothership as a super unit it is not going to come on the field and kill everything. It just an exceptionly powerful and Expensive unit that is hard capped at a certain number of units out on the field at any one time. (Alot people think the number should be anywhere from 1-3 im personally all for 3 but i dont want to sacfricie the strength of the unit) I think what is getting alot of people hung up is the term "super" associated with the Mothership because it makes people think of WC3 heros and the C&C super weapons. The Mothership is neither. The Mothership is just another way to claim victory over your oponent just like massig carriers or making an enormous ground army is a way of claiming victory over your oponent. Most likely alot of the games you play wont even have lasted long enough for someone to get a fully powered Mothership before someone has pretty much made a killing blow against another player.

P.S. There was a massive discussion about this in the "Poll : Mothership" thread in the protoss units and structures board.

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Oh no! The planet cracker! We're doomed! But only if all of our SCVs have 2 hp....

18. Inpox

Inpox New Member

This sucks. that planet cracker looks wimpy now. But its great that you can use time bomb where ever you want. Bring back the old super mother ship, its a frikkin Mothership.. the name should say it all

19. hominiddd

hominiddd New Member

"The devastating power of a mothership can wipe out squadrons of enemy ships in the blink of an eye or lay waste to entire planets."

Hmm....I'm wondering... does this mean that the mothership will either have time bomb or air attack now base on this quote from the official site.

On the otherhand I do heartedly agree with all who say that the mothership should be a one unit. I don't even mind that the MS and be more than one unit except that the power level of the MS has gone way down which makes it seems like any other unit and not the so call quote from the site. There have been so many discussion on the MS and most agree that it should a stronger unit limited to one. Certainly the power level of the MS can be balance.

Also why would Karune ask about getting the forum's and other fan site input if they are going to unveil it like the MS at Blizzcon. Seems like a waste of people's time if they don't fix the MS later on (which I'm hoping they will).

Also this is to the people who keep saying that the MS is way overpowered...etc.. blah blah blah... I don't mean to sound nasty, but you really need to take into account an actual game here. Like someone in here said earlier, in most games the MS will not be built if it is a single unit. The only time that you will get MS will be unlimited mineral maps like BGH. In smaller and limited mineral maps the batte will most likely be over long before carriers are built let alone MS, hence the fear of oh someone will build MS to wipe you out is unfounded. Also if they try to build one that is just a good way to lose.

Finally I'm just wondering if Blizzard is doing all this for publicity purposes only. I mean it's like the bait and switch.....Tell me that you will come and pick me up in a Ferrari and shows up in a Dodge Neon (no offence to Neon owners)!!

20. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Neah .. one unit sucks...looks alot cool in an army to have 2-3 of these beauties. But it would have been nice to enable 3 different designs for it with different abilites - it would remain mothership - but they would have names - like say 'pride of aiur', 'the dark vengeance', and 'will of adun' - and each one of them would have some uniq design additions on the basic chassie and some uniq abilites - like lets say 'the dark vengeance' - would be the dark templar mothership so it would have dark abilites - could have some sort of multi-target feedback or multi-target mind control or other abilites.