1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Reading is your friend...

2. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Looking at the MS know its moved form a fleet head to some what of a caster with a light attack and lots of hp T.T.
    Were have you gone mother why wont you come back to me.

3. Justicator

Justicator New Member

Thus I did not understand yet.
    Thus one can say into game option (use map setting, top vs bottom,free for all) say if the Mothership a super or a normal unit is in the map?

4. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Mothership is a ridiculous offensive unit. Queen is a ridiculous defensive unit. Queen is also more of a base boss. Zerg are entirely dependant on her for static defense now. Mothership abilities are pure destruction.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Good job you're a Terran player right?

6. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Straight from Karune:

Once again, Blizzard has changed the 'unique' status of the Mothership. However, I think that they have successfully diverged from overlap with the Carrier - as the Mothership's main strengths lie in its abilities. Therefore, having more than one can be more feasible. I'd also be willing to bet that Motherships are expensive enough to build and develop that if any player had more than two or three that player would probably be winning the game.

7. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

On the topic: I found this quote from Blizzards interview

The Mothership seems like an extremely powerful unit, are there any counters to it?

Sure! It has been changed significantly since BlizzCon. You can use Corruptors, Hydras, Vikings or Phoenixes, depending on your race. It is a unit that you only should build if you have air superiority, as it can relatively easily be defeated if you can’t defend it. It is not a unit you make unless you have air superiority as it will be run over. You wouldn’t choose to make a Mothership without backup.

The Mothership has clearly not been designed to be cost-effective in battle, unless it is able to survive long enough to make good use of its powerful abilities. The Mothership will probably not be used by smart players unless the player is confident of his air superiority or in his the ability to repel direct attacks against the Mothership. Such problematic design might condemn it to the role of a mere coup de grace unit, a common fault in RTS games.

And all I can do is agree. There is no way that Mothjership is going to be used unless you have air superiority or you plan kamikazee attack.

8. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    Seeing as the Mothership needs defense, perhaps you could sacrifice up to four ships of yours and have that ships weapon added on. It also seems that the Mothership would be great as an extra base defender, since it needs air superiority (Make a ring of Photon Cannons!) in the zone where it may be fighting.

What I mean by "sacrificing your ships"

Warp Ray (when absorbed)
    Adds a Warp Cannon onto a section of the ship-- probably like a turret on the top or bottom, rotates to aim at the enemy while the MS is moving or static.

Phoenix (when absorbed)
    Adds extra firepower.

Carrier (when absorbed, duh)
    Adds a Interceptor hangar that launches the Interceptors at the enemy. If you decide to sacrifice four Carriers, then four hangars (the front part of the carrier) are placed in a plus sign formation. Cannot be used while the ship is moving, but the Interceptors that were launched before moving will still keep fighting the enemy until they are destroyed, and then the survivors head back to their mommy for brownies and maybe some spoonfuls of Childrens Tylenolâ„¢.

Protoss Space Chicken (When....wait...)
    Adds a Space Chicken Launcher on the top or bottom of the ship; can fire while moving.
    Upon impact, the Space Chicken explodes like a nuke, but does not harm the Mothership.

9. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

What? No, bad. Do I need to explain how bad that would be? Although chicken nukes sound, interesting...

And by the way, the Mothership is a flying High Templar but more expensive with (possibly)better abilities. Which most likely means it won't be used unless its abilities warrant the cost(delicate balance!).

10. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    My whole point was to prove how bad the need for extra forces to defend your mommyship ---- oh! its actually really, really great. At least they should give it the ability to make stuff happen......

11. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

of course the MS needs support its supposed to be a caster and I have never won a match by massing HT and not making them into archons. the new void ability is like the HT's storm it is an AoE unit killer that wont win you the game. however once you thin the enemies lines you can rush in some real base killers and win the game.