1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If so then I guess there isn't much of a problem. Just let the Terran got the Predator back and its even so far.

2. wushi

wushi New Member

i think black hole could back, but just don't make it that strong.

3. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

yeah i agree with zergy, i wish the predator was back in.

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i think it is unfair that only 1 player can have it in p.vp.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its 1 Mothership per Protoss player as far as I'm concerned.

6. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

SO what then, then the person who didnt cunstruct it first auto loses? each person in the game should get one

7. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    That's how I think it's going to work. Each individual player would have a 1 unit limit, not the entire map.

The one per map limit, in my opinion, means that each player has a one unit limit, and can still make one even if the other players already have one.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I dont like how the MS works right know, no really good abbilities... I would like to have it as a super unit, but more as a caster type (no really big attack, but some good spells)...

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yea, lots of spells would work nicely. Just depends which spells it gets.

10. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

interesting... could become a super unit again? very interesting but, more inportantly, who will be the superunit for zergs. I would say if protoss had mothership, the terrans would probably have an overpowering Thor as the superunit with air attack? LOL

11. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Welcome to the forums, gtx75.

As we've discussed before, Blizzard is making the Protoss more unique by giving them (and only them) a 'superunit'. The Terran Thor isn't really a super-unit, and the Zerg aren't going to get one. Balance will be through other mechanics.

12. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Also, they said it wouldn't fit the 'super unit' definition it originally had. It will still be a one unit limit, but my understanding is, it still won't be as powerful as it was in the demo. The Black Hole ability is still nerfed, and the others are slightly cut back.

However, it can attack air again, and it's abilities are still pretty powerful.

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'm not too sure how much the Mothership will be used in games. Right now it looks like they're a bit too weak for their cost and research, especially since they have a limit. My guess is most games will be over before they have a chance to get the Mothership.

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I think so too. And now they are changing unit stats and stuff so games last longer just to use units like this ._.

But then again, there are cases where a match can go on for like 40 mins and I'm sure a Mothership will be available then.

15. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    And watch progamers get the MS onto the field in 10 minutes.

I hope games will last longer. I always prefer teching than rushing. I'd build a force for defence, but them tech to late tier units.

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I would like to see the MS as a pure caster, lore-wise that would fit too... Because i think the MS should be more a supporter, then a giant super monster killing ship...

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Lore-wise, the MS could destroy planets. So it doesn't seem to fit as a soellcaster in my opinion. Even if they decide to make it now very powerful, I want it to keep the multiple hitting regular attack it has now.

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    They sould come up with something unique for the Mothership, then nobody can ever complain about the Mothership and Carrier having overlapping attacks/roles

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    EonMaster the only thing we know lore-wise about them is that they are "explorers" right?

20. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    No furrer we know quite a bit more. Do you remeber the opening cinematic of SC were a massive Protoss ship used a massive energy beam to wipe out a Terran salvage crew? Or how about the constant reminders of the Protoss incinerating planets after the Zerg infested them? There was always the question of what that unit was, the answer is, it was a Mothership. Thats how we know they can incinerate planets and so forth, along with the insperation of the Planet Cracker.  And just to reafirm that info here is a quote from the Mothership bio on the sc2 site.

@Zerg what do you think the 1 per team restriction does? Thats what makes the Mothership different from a Carrier it is the next step up, but at the cost of a player being only allowed to have 1 out at a time. Right now the way I imagine the Protoss tech tree is you gain access to the base Carrier and Mothership at roughly the same time but you have to research a lot of things to make the Mothership viable as well as it taking longer to warp in plus the additional cost. So in theory you could get Carriers and start constructing a fleet of them or spend a little more time and minerals to constuct a Mothership then worry about the construction of Carriers.