1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Rex

Rex New Member

So in a UMS map you are allowed to put more then 1 MS?

@Gaskmaskguy Why is he mad??? Did someone make a pointless argument? I read it, it says people are arguing and their reasons seem stupid.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    What I meant by directing you to his post was that you should read the last part that was about UMS. :)

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    But remember we are not all scripters with the abilitiy to edit the primary star edit programme. I don't think people will be able to change the one Mothership per player rule until someone actually edits the programmes main script, and for that to tie in with the game is another aspect of the coding.
    But as long as we can change this value without hard scripting of the staredit then I'll be happy.

12 scourge vs. Mothership? it fires pretty fast, pretty strong, multiple shots, homes in, so I'd say 12 scourge would not take out a Mothership unless you had other units as decoys.

When I was talking about its supply cost I never though that through, I just gave a random high number as an example, but upon reading some posts I guess its not a big problem whether it is one Mothership or not. But having this rule just limits certain things for no big reason when it could be fixed with the things that have been said which can give the game more dynamics.

Oh and btw, PLEASE stop comparing to Warcraft and other games as Starcraft is it's own game. And I have no knowledge of WoW what-so-ever :]

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    How would it go unused, sure it cost a lot, but I think its abilities will make it worth it. It seems to be an extremely powerful arbiter, which even though the arbiter wasn't used often, it was still used when it could turn the tide of a match.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I loved the arbitor, if I played Protoss and had a fleet of Carriers I'd always set one or two to follow the front-runners along with an Observer. And if it got sticky you could always recall some goons or something.

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I wasn't talking about scripting at all Zergalicous using the given WC3 editor you can change pretty much any aspect of a unit (trust me on this I have used it just enough to know how complicated the damn thing truly is) also Blizzard has already stated that the SC2 Staredit should have atleast similar capabilities as the WC3 editor if not way more improved so I wouldn't worry about UMS.

As far as how the Mothership will be used I envision being either something that is teched to very quickly to be used with a small force to try and severely damage an oponent before they have an adequite defense or very late game and used very late with a plethora of other units to try and make a killing blow.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If the MS is going to be a single build item I think they should remove the cloaking ability and move it o the nullifier or something because having something like that on the MS would not allow full utilization of it.

Also I hope the Black hole makes a come back because then the MS would actually be dangerous and worthy of the limit. Of course the BH would need to be adjusted since they got rid of it for being OP in the first place

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The BH could be balanced by either making it autokill ONE air target, or perhaps by making it work like Maelstorm but with a bigger radius and/or longer freezing time than the original.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    My idea had been to have it like the nuke where you cast it and it takes a few seconds before the BH opens up and there would be time for you to escape.

My idea has it opening slowly and its AoE gradually gets larger so if you see it early enough you have a chance to run. Also the MS would be caught up creating the BH so can't move (it can still fire) and if the MS is destroyed or EMPed while channelling the BH the BH will collapse. Also it could be a DoT ability where units take damage and if they reach 0 HP in range of the BH they get sucked in.

10. SmirkySmirker

SmirkySmirker New Member

Wow. That pisses me off. Super units are stupid, they belong in a game like age of mythology, not starcraft. fail.

11. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Making the MS a superunit was the only way to make it balanced and useful. Don't compare SC2 with other games. How the hell would you know if a superunit belongs in SC or not? At least know what you're talking about before you call something stupid. Right now you don't know what you're talking about.

12. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Try to look it at in the sense of a theoretical game. Look at original SC and compare a "super unit" to something like massed Battlecruisers or massed carriers. Incredibly powerful but not without weakness. Just think of the devestating power of the Mothership and then think about easily a swarm of scourge, or a defiler with plauge, or high templars with volleys of psionic storm, or a fleet of Vikings, may be able to counter the mothership, at a loss and great cost to the builder. If anything it will embodie the powers of several units combined into one unit, making it a balancable unit for the full final retail version of the game.

13. SmirkySmirker

SmirkySmirker New Member

I just think it's a really dumb idea. They were right to change it originally. It's a waste of a unit space. Wouldn't you rather have something else other than something where it's like "ok if I build this either they don't have the counter and I win or they do have the counter and I waste a crap load of my money".

Well whatever, if they do keep this the way it is I hope they make it good and balanced, somehow. I just can't see it happening.

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Awesome... this is pretty cool how blizzard seems to understand their community. Anyways, it's nice to see the mothership back... hopefully it regains it's better planet cracker but I wish it would keep the smaller time bubbles (the huge one was not as effective) and maybe even a third ability.

15. Zealot1994

Zealot1994 New Member

MS will own in sc 2 but what zergalicious said is true though. maybe the mothership should cost around 2k min and 2k gas. lol

16. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    i was thinking more of 700 crystal and 600 gas, along with the black hole ability of course.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Originally it cost 1000/1000 with the upgrades

18. SinoSamurai

SinoSamurai Guest

is it the balck hole funtion still there?

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Back in the first super MS era, it was labeled OP. The BH was completely removed while the MS and the other abilities were greatly nerfed. Now the MS is more of a super unit again, but we have heard nothing about the BH since it was removed.

20. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I'm pretty damn sure in custom maps, you can get rid of the "1 only allowed" trait. All you probably have to do is toggle with a new unit setting called "Unit Limit" in the editor.

It's only a hunch though.