1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

Mothership is a super unit again.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Charmed

Charmed New Member

When u said a single mothership at a time is not starcraft like, well that makes me thing abt Starcraft 1.

And regarding the supply cost, I believe Blizzard will know how to balance it be it 8,13,20 or 100. I believe 75 supply cost for mothership is abit too high considering what we have seen so far. If it is so, I doubt anyone would want to build a mothership :eek: Anyway it is possible for both rules to apply. Which means there will be a single mothership and it will be subjected to a very high cost. So actually u need not worry too much. Lack of information is actually the reason why we cannot make reasonable judgement at this point.

And also if the Protoss player turtles just to conserve minerals for mothership, there is a chance that he would be rushed to death. I m not saying u r wrong. U might be right. Nobody really knows. But IMO, I dun think the Protoss player could do that. So as for this point we will have to wait since starcraft 2 haven't even reach the beta stage.

If u r so worried abt ums maps, u can just dodge it. Boring maybe but after all there are campaigns too.

Overall I would say u r just too worried. Relax and chill...Besides we as gamers might not be able to influence the developers' decision..

2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Please use the spell check next time you post, that would make the forum more clean. And about the last thing you wrote, that's completely wrong... Blizzard wished the gamers to play a role in the development, at least i think so. They removed the tempest because people wanted the Carrier back, they changed the MS to a super unit because many people wanted that.

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

If the Mothership cost 75 supply, or even 20 that would be insane! Blizzard is trying to create a unit whose cost, supply, and counters are equal to it's strength. If the supply was that high, it'd have to be a major super unit. That's not Blizzard's goal with the Mothership. In the final version of the game, a Protoss Army + Mothership at supply limit should be equal to a Terran or Zerg army also at the supply limit.

The reason we are only allowed one Mothership at a time is twofold. First, it is for balance, as the Mothership is a little bit stronger than any other unit (but it's not going to be ridiculous). Secondly, it serves to further differentiate the Protoss. I'm sure no other race will have a similar unit that will be limited to produce.

Finally, as to your concern about UMS maps, I wouldn't worry. The limit will be built into the play of the game, and while you may not be able to ever build more than one Mothership, I'm sure you'll at least be able to place or create as many as you want.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah, but i want this. A protoss army = A protoss army without a MS. Because else the protoss race will be more orientated on holding one unit alive (anyone think WC3 heroes?).

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think that you are wrong furrer. If having a MS means that you cannot have a Protoss army, it means that the MS will be as valued as an entire Protoss army. Thus, you will want to keep it alive just as a WC3 hero. If the MS is cheapish and doesn't eat tons of supply, you won't care as much when it goes boom.

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Wow a lot happens overnight,

First Prodigal you already have a whole thread dedicated against me so why don't you return there instead of trying to poison this one?

Zergalicous you may have noticed by now that I pretty vehemently defend the SU Mothership, but more to the point I am very tired or people using the argument that something is or is not Starcraft it is a pathetic argument and basicly equal to saying I am right because I am awsome and is about the same argument most people who like to think themselves "pros" but cna't debate at all use. So yes I do wish that anyone who uses that argument would just shut the hell up!

As for the actual debate since you did actually make a decent post here is what is wrong with your idea. If you were to actually remove the one per player limit and use supply as the limiting factor you would need to make the Mothership somewhat equal to the army you are depriving the player of which would make it a true WC3 hero, which is exactly what most people don't want (take a second and think of 40 supply of dragoons and combine there stats into one unit that is what you are proposing). Now only having one Mothership on the fiedl at a time with its stats balanced around it being like a 10 supply unit, creates an interesting situation where suddenly eneergy is extremely rare meaning you can make the abilitites more powerful without the unit becoming overpowered because there is a very limited amount of energy. This also makes the Mothership powerful when working in groups because it won't die right away like it could when it is one its own, remember the Protoss gameplay video was staged.

As for your UMS point (which is definetly a valid one), here is what I know in WC3 you could only have a limited number of heros but in UMS game you could have as many as you wanted because there were options in the WC3 Editor that allowed map makers to modify those settings (I know this because I have used it), Blizzard has already said that the SC2 Editor will be more powerful than the WC3 Editor whcih if you have had any kind of expierence with the WC3 Editor you will know there is nothing to worry about when it comes to UMS maps.

7. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Hmmm... my question of this is how the abilities will work now. Now that the God of SC known as Blizzard has decided to promote the MS to el presidente of the Protoss, I wonder whether Blizzard will go back to more of its original ideas, such as the Black Hole concept or if it will be able to attack air now.

With this turn of events, I also wonder of the Thor will take on more precedence, or if Blizz will go back to the original idea of giving each a race a "super aspect" if you will.

Anybody have theories on said issues?

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Way back when we first saw the Protoss gameplay video, Blizzard said that the Protoss would be the only race with a unit powerful enough that a player could only have one at a time. I think that Blizzard is going to stick with that. It'll help to make the Protoss unique as a race, not to mention makes sense lore wise.

9. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    yeah if they really want the races to be really different they'll go with that.

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no lorewise the protoss have multiple motherships. it would suck if there was only one. :p

anyway as long in the campaign or lorewise there are multiple motherships then im ok with a single motherships per player in multipler or skirmishes.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    zeratul, lore comes after design and balance. If they needed to change the Reaper into non-criminals in mechs, the lore would change as they turn into mechs, they would not have to stay with the lore. The lore is made up afterwards.

And just because they lorewise have tons of them, it doesn't mean that the higher ranked dudes would let you warp in every last one of them and get them destroyed. Every protoss commander is designated one MS and should be happy with that.

12. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Since the MS is turned back into a super unit, I wonder if it's abilities will changes since its status changed. They said something about fixing the MS's abilities since they are too strong, so it is safe to assume that the abilities or thier effectiveness will change.

13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes i understand what you said and agree especially on the 2nd part. but still multiple motherships in the starcraft universe is better. a single mothership wont be a real threat against the terran or zerg compared to hundreds of mothereships. 8)

balance? well they scrapped the carriers and ahve the motherships to be new capital ships. i for one, will pick the motherships over the old iconic carriers.

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I doubt the mothership will cost more than 10 supply, its going to be a powerful unit but not a gamewining unit on its own, keep in mind the difference between starcraft and warcraft is the damage ot hitpoints ration, meaning it was much harder to FF a hero and kill it fast than to FF on a big unit and kill it fast.

If its a zerg player im sure 12 scourges will take down the MS very fast, same goes for a few vikings + yamato cannons etc.

its going to be an expensive unit, and like blizzard said, a primary target in battles, so its going to be hard to win a game by just having a MS, the balance i leave to blizzard.

15. screw

screw Guest

According to the SC2 site the mothership "act as primary command ships to lead vast armadas of protoss explorers". So there is only one Mothership per protoss fleet/per tribe. And because the player only acts as Executor of one fleet/tribe he only would be able to control one single Mothership during battles. Just throw in another whole fleet/tribe and you get another Mothership, which leads this new fleet.
    There would only be one Mothership per battlefield but logically some more in the whole universe.

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    There ARE multiple motherships in the starcraft universe. :D

17. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    You pretty much just asked the same questions I did =P

18. Rex

Rex New Member

Dang it'd be cool if we were allowed 3. So does this apply to UMS as well? Or every game?

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Read LordKerwyn's post at the top Rex. :)

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    You can do anything in a UMS map