missing roles in the Protoss army

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ekulio, Apr 23, 2009.

missing roles in the Protoss army

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ekulio, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    i somewhat agree

i like the tec tree change for the zerg idea (hydras were always me fav unit)

i also agree that the protoss are intimidating in SC1 because of the high HP.
    and i also agree that the toss dont really have that much huge HP anymore.

and the thing with the Brood Lord. its counter part was pretty much a tank before
    because of its huge range, and mighty attack, now with the broodlings coming out
    with each attack i think they could defuff some of its HP (like -150 or something)
    there fore the Brood Lords place will still remain.

2. ekulio

ekulio New Member

what I meant by tank is that it's not made to soak up damage, but to dish it out.

3. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

protoss do have missing roles when it comes to air. But back in SC1 i would never use anything but a carrier to fight if it was an air to air fight.

I know how to fix the Phoenix but i doubt anyone would listen. The Corsair did small splash damage. Well if they wont give the Phoenix splash then let it hit multiple targets. lets say 3. Let them deal 10 dmg to up to 3 close stacked targets. I think this should be tryed over its current type of attack.

as for the protoss intimation i agree again with many of you guys. units from other races is just too high. I think a roach should be lower then a hydralisk. and yeah some of the terran ground units are down right crazy lookin. The marauder is just about the most powerful thing i can think of right now. After seeing terrans in 2 battle reports and seeing them win in high Exciting matches is somewhat of a give away how the game seems to be summing up. It looks like terrans can do ANYTHING & EVERYTHING. there ground force is thee most solid team i have seen by far then the other races. and i'll give good examples

examples:
    you got marines/reapers and he cuts to roachers. you Have D8 charges upgraded and the +10 hp for marines is 75% finished. build another barrack give it a reactor and spam D8 charges if you dont feel like making marauders. Not only will out spam the zerg player if he cuts back to zerglings but you can still do more with the reapers such as harass.

How about the new Siege Tanks we havent even seen in play yet? i hear they fire faster... Thats a major load of i dont know what. how about that good old thor everyone loves. i love the idea of fusing multiple Goliath with massive GTA range. (more then a bood lord) lets not also forget the good old med dropship. so now if you make 2 barracks with reactors and spam marines with a nighthawk or 2 and drop ships you can drop on some poor guys mineral line and basically end the game with little to no effort. Did you see the defenses the other races had in the battle reports. go watch them again and imagine 3 full drop ships of marines getting layed inside of there bases and you think of the effect it would of had. and lets not get into the crazyness of the Battlecruiser its basice attack just sounds down right over powered and a while back people who played at blizzcon were complaining that they were so0o0o0o OP, Just give them all defense matrix and watch them steam roll just about everything.

Terrans are looking like the new protoss in sc2 Protoss arnt scary neither is zerg.

Reduce zerg and terran life on the units. i think the queens lava should be an auto cast so if your not getting attack at home and your Hatcheries are hotkeyed then build away. if you need your queens then turn off the larve spawn.

I love terrans and there my personal favorite but i'm starting to think they have to many ability. And there good abilities at that. or Atleast nerf the abilities. Protoss should get a possible life increase but i guess that comes with testing.

4. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    I sure do agree with you guys.
    Regarding the Protoss intimation factor - which is no longer btw -:
    - either we boost their HP - but it's going to turn into WC III with units who have even more HP than buildings oO
    - or we lower the other units' HP for the other races (I see nothing wrong with Zerg though, maybe the brood lord who has incredibly high HP but that's fine I guess). Im thinking about Terran infantry who have considerably more HP than in SC. Maraudeur, Thor and BC WTF? I thought Protoss were supposed to have higher HPs....

5. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Btw, the Protoss now is an adept at dealing with masses of enemies. The colossi Thermal lance can 1 shot zerglings thanks to it's 45 damage per hit. It can kill up to 5 zerglings per themal volley. I think that's over kill. Let's not forget about Psionic Storm. At 77 damage per second for up to X seconds, it can take down any unit in the vicinity. Well, almost any.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Reaver could pull off the same.

7. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    wait..... are you sure about the Storm? I thoought it has been nerfed because of its lower AoE than sc1 and stronger units (I mean more HP than SC2).

77 damage per second for X secs? really? can someone please confirm? Id like to be sure :D

8. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

There have been lots of stat numbers thrown around for Psi Storm. I suggest not believing any of them unless there's a high-quality screenshot involved. Or until beta comes out.

9. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Wait the purpose GasMask, the Colossi is meant to replace the reaver. Hence the siege range of 7 AND AOE that is similar to the volley. Except the former has better mobility. I.E Traverse over cliffs. Also, i'm not sure what the damage is per second at the moment, but i think it seemed very powerful in a match i saw on youtube. Sorry for stating such a figure.

10. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i'm pritty sure thats wrong...its more like 25.

and what movie on youtube did you see the colossi do good?? i would like to see that movie

everyone else has apparently not seen this movie cause until recently everyone has complained the colossus has been not worth its coast.

11. Novacute

Novacute New Member

@and what movie on youtube did you see the colossi do good?? i would like to see that movie

Actually, Battle report testifies this. You're aware that a colossi has decent stats - 45 Damage/7 Range (siege) and around 350 Hp/shields in total. 2 shots from the colossi could easily kill a group of workers. Keep in mind that it can also traverse over hills which makes it an excellent raiding unit. Also, it can target 5 units at once.. making it a powerful anti mass unit without a doubt. I actually like it the way it is. Yes, i'm wrong about the 77 damage, it was based off a game that has undergone damage changes through the editor. So around 25-30 wound sound right,

12. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Are you sure ur not giving us backwards information about the colossus? I know those are its current stats but i dont think it had those stats when we saw it in BR1 or any other SC2/blizzcon expos.

13. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Well from what I have heard the colossus is a hard unit to use in combat, carriers aren"t used that much, and the phenoix is very strong along with the warp ray.

14. AppleMarineXX

AppleMarineXX New Member

California
    hmm the protoss air to ground seems bad and the stalkrs seem weak. I wish immortals could attack air and phoenixes could attack ground.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    the stalkers aren't bad u just need to blink them away before there ganna die, or blink at the right moment to chase down / runaway from enemys.

If imortals were given and air attack that's all that would be massed (or more like a zealot and imortal combo)

And the phenix is fine the way it is, considering it can pick up units and have it's fellow buddys shoot the crap out of it I. The air is pretty awesome. But it's best used with the void ray.

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Protoss air to ground seems bad, and Stalkers seem weak. I wish Zealots could attack air and Warp Prisms could attack ground.

17. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Ok. watever novacute just said about the colossus....wow.

ok, the colossus, first of all does 23 damage now. yes thats right ! 23 ! damage.
    second of all, it has only 6 range. thats right, 6. can be upgraded to 9 tho.
    thid of all, 7 isnt siege range, 8 is. siege range is range that is beyond the range of defensive structures (i.e.,cannons)

@10-Neon , i absolutely agree that toss has a lack of AtG. terran has the banshee, zerg has bood lord. i wish that phoenixes could attack ground. it would be nice if immortals could have a sorta weak, researchable air attack

18. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    I think that adding an additional air damage bonus to the stalkers, or having some type of weapon or range upgrade to the stalkers, similar to the dragon range upgrade could balance it out more..

19. Ych

Ych New Member

@1n5an1ty
    Just a little correction. Colossus actually do 23 X 2 damage. They have 2 separate attacks each dealing 23 damage. (Kind of like how the Zealot does 8+8 damage). So they can basically 1 shot Marines, Probes, Drones. Get 2-3 of them and you can basically 1 shot most ground units. Not to mention that they can be upgraded to have Siege Range. They sound extremely deadly.

As for Protoss ATG, I believe the Void-Rays are fairly effective for that.

20. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Unless the enemy goes mass marines or something, then ur voids are screwed!!!

I would support the range upgrade for the stalker and maybe since it's a dark dragoon and the immort is a normal dragoon (of the future based army, ie old dragoon dudes in immortals) the. Maybe have an upgrade that does both or for balance on gets more then the other.

And what would you use to attack them? Oh yea a bunch of zealots!!! So atg kinda suks for toss. Not much they can do but bring in ground to counter stuff like that, unless you want to count the Mother Ship that would wipe marines into tomato soup!