1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merge the Carrier and the Mothership.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

Merge the Carrier and the Mothership.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

1. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Anyone know how many caital ships the US has? I know the USS Ronald Regan is one of them, but do we have any others?

2. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

In my honest opinion, they should axe the Carrier. I never found them all that useful, unless I had alot, and even then, taking them down was pretty easy if you had BC's with Science Vessel support. Make way for the new, the Mothership! :p

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    On the voices thing I should mention that some of the voices were done by paid actors: Raynor, Science vessel and others were done by the devs:Tassadar.
    They probably have not hired all the voice actors yet and some of the devs that did voices in the original have left Blizzard

I like the carrier since it can attack at longe range while the MS is an in your face assualt ship.  I would like the Carrier to stay as the toss capitol ship while the MS becomes a Flagship/superunit again

4. Rex

Rex New Member

For me I say the Carrier is a Elite guard ship and Mother ships are the Capital ships!

5. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Isay that the carrier was a excellent defence ship. Have only a few cannons as your defence, you will get owned. Put a few carriers behind them with the 4-interceptor upgrade, you opponent will have an extremely hard time getting through without massive casalties.

6. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I honestly think the Carrier should get axed. As much as I love this unit, it definitely overlaps with the mothership. And we must consider this is SC2, so new things should arrive to the game.
    Giving the Mothership interceptors doesn't sound good at all, because the MS would lose its uniqueness.
    And BTW, carriers ARE capital ships, being the Ganthritor a good example. Motherships are capital ships as well, so definitely they overlap their roles. Because of this one of them must leave, and that one, in my opinion, is the Carrier.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think the mothership's fine as it is. I don't really see a problem with overlapping. The mothership's designed to be a heavy support caster unit, while carriers should end up as the main aerial force of you army. You don't get the MS until you get the carrier and you need to research the MS's spells. Plus, the MS is more like a flagship, of which there is only one, and the carrier is a capital ship, of which there could be many.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Wick that is assuming the Mothership is a super unit. If it isnt, it really does overlap with the Carrier and one should be axed. My personal preference though is make the Mothership a super unit again and keep the Carriers because that removes the overlap because you can only have 1 Mothership.

9. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Yes, that's the cleanest and most effective solution to all this mess. I have no idea why Blizzard scrapped such a good idea.

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

ithink carrier should become a defensive structure

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    That would be an interesting idea. A tower that used interceptors to protect your base. However, it goes from carrier/MS to carrier/photon cannon. So the overlap isn't fixed, just moved.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No Photon cannon would be an early game defense and the interceptor efence would be late game or vice versa

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Interceptor def would be weak compared to the Phase Cannons, cuz Cannons do 20 damage were Interceptors do 5(+1) damage meaning by the time all 8 interceptors have hit a target they would do 40 damage and simply 2 Cannon attacks will do 40 also which are faster so the only positive thing is the fact the AI will target the fast moving Interceptors but obviously a smart player would take out the Interceptor defense thing.

14. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    And then there's the fact that it seems to be part of StarCraft's style that the basic defensive structures are the only defensive structure available.

15. Rex

Rex New Member

Carriers are good for distracting targets or just attacking structures without getting damaged a lot since they aim for the Interceptors.

Errr I think you can have more then one Mothership now.

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Im aware of that Rex my point was since you can have more than 1 it overlaps with the Carrier. By just making the Mothership a super unit again (i.e. making it so you can only have 1 out at a time) you remove the overlap problem.

17. Rex

Rex New Member

How about 3 mother ships max :D.

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Having just 1 is better for a few reasones. First it draws a nice hard line and removes disscussion about should it be 3 or 4 and what would the difference in power be and how would it affect having multiple Motherships with powerful abilities. Also if you have more than 1 out at a time they arnt "The Mothership" anymore, instead they become more like expensive Arbiters. Finally if you have just 1 you can maximise the power of "The Mothership" because you could only have 1 energy would become a realistic control over the abilities and it could only be in 1 place at a time to justify its power. Think of it like taking the nuke 1 step further Protoss style. The Terrans can only have 1 nuke per silo and the silos are relatively expensive and take up space so you really dont want to/cant mass them. You can only have 1 Mothership but it will have the power of a couple of nukes (and the cost of a couple of nukes as well :p).

I personally prefer the idea of having just 1 super unit Mothership to sevre as a flagship and having the ability to build multiple Carriers to serve as your general capital ship.

19. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

of for the carrier defense; you can upgrade a photon cannon to hold 4 interceptors

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I like ijffdrie's idea, but I'm not sure how that would fit with the protoss race. It would be nice in that it could attack multiple units. However, sc1 and 2 seem to go along the lines that an offence is the best defence, since they only allow basic defences to be placed on the map.