1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merge the Carrier and the Mothership.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

Merge the Carrier and the Mothership.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't see why you would want to protect the Mothership that much. It has 1,200 hit-points in total, and is able to protect itself from ranged attacks by using the Time Bomb. People keep suggesting to use to Thor as a meat shield, so why not use the Mothership for the same purpose? It is able to force the opposing players top attack it with the Cloaking Field which pretty much acts like a taunt, 350 of its health can instantly be restored, it can have both its armor and shields upgraded to make it more durable, and it's able to shield itself with Time Bomb. Then, if it is still taking a beating, it can use Planet Cracker to obliterate those on the ground. It makes perfect sense to use it as a meat shield. Sure, it is expensive, but good meat shields should be.

2. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

1200 as a super unit, like 500-600 as a normal unit i think?

3. Charmed

Charmed New Member

If Motherships are not reverted back to their status as a "super unit", then merging them with Carriers can be a great idea.
    Although a lot says that Carriers are primary attacker and motherships are supporting caster with powerful ground attack, I beg to differ. Thats becoz they are in the same tier (expensive and powerful unit) and not to mention that although the motherships cannot attack air units, they still have a powerful ground attack. Therefore their roles are obviously overlap. Besides the Carrier can have some sort of improvement from SC1 and the Protoss can have a new unit by merging them. (Hmmm I must be greedy)

I think its okay for the mothership to be reverted back to their super unit status as long as it no longer possess black hole.
    This spell is to cheap in that with just one click, all your enemy ships will be suck away. I suggest to replace it with time freeze. This way it still reflects the sheer power of mothership while forcing players to be more skillful.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    That means nothing. Look at the arbiter, it was a last tier unit, and its attack wouldn't do anything, Even in large groups. It was a support ship, and was expensive as well.

Last tier does not mean they are a powerful, nonsupport unit. Another example is the zerg defiler, it has no attack at all. It a last tier zerg unit that is 100% support. Tiers don't make a difference in starcraft as to whether or not it is a support or direct attack unit.

5. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

the carrier was only the main attack ship because the scout was shit and cosair was only good for disruption web. in light of the phoenix and warp ray, the carrier is no longer the main attack ship. it's a secondary, like when you had dragoons to support zealots

6. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

mothership + carrier..

i wonder how it will look like...

if this possible, how bout
    thor + battlecruiser ?

just a theory

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i like thor+ battlecruiser more than carrier+mothership

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I think warpray + carrier will be very destructive.

9. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

warpray + carriers...

its like...there are intercepters killing while the middle of the carrier is attacking the enemy and is charging up like the warpray ability...

no i think that's too cheap and imba

10. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I always wondered, what exactly does "imba" mean? This forum is the only time I ever see that.

11. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

imba = imbalanced. I had to figure that out myself through observation of these... forum posters

12. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    thx, I tried to figure it out.

I don't see how massing carriers and warprays is imba.

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

interceptors take damage and its hard to focus fire on the warp rays or carriers, allowing both of them to do damage quite well, and more specifically giving time to the warp rays to charge up their attack taking out important units.

In the demo, Thors and battlecruisers(when summond with that cheat code) looked damn scary and powerful, mixed with some tanks and vkings and banshees its a very impressive attack force i'll tell you that.

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    And with the 150 selection, it's all the more possible and practical.

If a groups sounds too strong, ppl will use it. I bet many protoss players will use carriers/rays for air supremacy. Or they might use colossus and stalkers for massive raiding tactices.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

carriers and warp rays wont work for air suppremacy, you need Pheonixes(lol spelling?)

Mass vikings will tear em up.

16. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

same here
    i never bother to ask other people
    they just say
    YOU NOOB
    or something like
    here is your friend www.google.com

>_>
    but some nice people tell you

oh...carriers AND warprays...
    carriers AND warprays combined is imba
    like i said
    while the laser is attacking and charging up, the interceptors attack the opponent
    but carriers and warprays is different
    like DKutrovsky said...
    MASS VIKING WILL TEAR THEM UP

17. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think battlecruisers and vikings will kill protoss air, yamato gun the warp rays and kill the phoenix will the BC while ff -ing the carriers with vikings.

18. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    If carrier/warpray is imba, so is BC and viking.

Carier/ray will just be a strategy used for massive destruction if able. Any strategy can be imba if used correctly or with the right backup.

Same with the colossus/stalker strategy; the ultimate raid team. The stalkers AA will protect the colossus from air units and the massive damage from the colossi's beam with kill all ground targets.

19. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

i said carrier + warpray
    something like...combine into ONE unit, get it?

and protoss ground ultimate is...
    colossus + immortals...
    ground unit will be ownt by these machinaries

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Oh, I was talking about having them being different units. No wonder I didn't have the same opinion as you. If they were combined, that would be way too powerful. I'm aginst the carrier having any kind of regular attack because the carriers are extremely destructive by themselves.

colossus and immortals would be good for a frontal assult of enemy positions. Tanks won't stand a chance, and bunkers would be down easily. However, I still prefer the raiding tactic of the stalker and colossus combination. If done right, it would do much more damage in the long run, and would hypothetically result in less losses of the Protoss's side.