1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merge the Carrier and the Mothership.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

Merge the Carrier and the Mothership.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It says on the official site;

Mothership: Capital ship
    Carrier: Capital ship

LOL talk about overlapping! ;D

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    2 capital ships, the Protoss airforce is becoming more powerful. As it looks now, the protoss may be able to win matches without ever producing ground forces.

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i think the main difference between the usage of the carrier and the motheship lies in it speed, the mothership is far faster than the carrier

4. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    however the MS currently doesn't have a air attack

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

yes but as you said before, both the mothership and the carrier are chokepoint breakers, and since the mothership is faster it will be used more as a OMGWTF raiding unit, some sort of mega banshee withabilities. but i think the mothership as it is now, can be used very good for intercepting enemy armies

6. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    yep, MS would be great with Planet Cracker against an approaching army. Would make the zergling armies that some zerg players produce into a pile of corpses.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Actually, every half decent zerg player would move his zerglings AWAY. Zerglings are like 3 times faster.

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    therefor, bring one from the front, and one from the back. The classic pincher movement, and them both will activate planet cracker, and close in.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    They are still fast enough to run to the side or run past one of the motherships.

10. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    but if they are in a canyon, then they wouldn't be able to do much to escape.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    A large group of zerglings running through a canyon without any airsupport while a mothership is waiting on the other side and another mothership is lurking behind the zerglings?
    Seriously, stop making up all these ridiculous scenarios. All you want is the mothership to be useful, in this case against zerglings, but face it; The zerg player would rather fall back than die.

12. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

two othership, one uses time bomb, the other planet cracker

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The zerg player is a moron if he masses nothing but zerglings late game. If the protoss has motherships, why would the zerg mass nothing but early tier 1 units? I hate it when people make up silly situations to make units look "powerful".

I could make up a scenario with 10 siege tanks blocking a really tight bottleneck pwning zerglings... but what about all the other situations they can end up in? huh?

14. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    eh I personally think this is great idea but BLizzard will never allow it I meen just think about it. Then think of what Blizzard will do. There is your awnser.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

fact of the matter is, you dont need 2 capitol ships.

I mean im talking about having a second tank in the terran forums, there are a lot of people who say no. But the second tank will be a tank as opposed to an mobile artilery like the siege tank is. They will have different roles.

Now when you have that the Mothership(capitol ship) and carrier ( capitol ship) are fine, i just dont buy it.

16. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

alright than, masses of hydralisk, ultralisks, banelings and zerglins and possibly the new canine unit( see my new zerg thread) would all get owned by this technique, and for AA you take phoenixes, and i know you are gonna say that you can hit everything with phoenixes and it just could be carriers as well owning the enemy, think of the fact that the mothership moves allmost as fast as the phoenix and would form a far better combi thus. and i also say that the mothership should be considered as a heavy ground assault ship, just as the tempest, and not as a capital ship

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think the MS needs to go one of 2 routes. Either it needs to become a super unit again or become a small caster and take the position the arbiter and star relic were in. I prefer the first one myself.

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    @Patuljak I would love to go 1 rounds with you over why the MS should be a super unit but atm I dont have the time and other poeple are doing a pretty good job. But before you continue posting I would like to ask you to check out this thread: http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=1588.msg39563#msg39563

It is a massive disscussion we had on the Mothership when we first heard the news from blizzcon.

19. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    It's on the first page. This guy puts it into words better than I managed to. I agree to the every last word.

One of the reason I would want it not to be a super unit is because it complements the toss air force much better than a super unit would. Their air force has an unit for powerful units/buildings (warp ray), weaker air units (phoenix) and an all around attack unit which fits in the best if you think of it as AA-infrantry killer (carrier). Now, the current mothership has no other specific role than being a supporter, like the old arbiter. It has a cloaking field, dunno how useful it will actually be but I imagine it will have it's uses, it has a time bomb which delays units/buildings you want to deal with later/want to deal with now but don't want to take damage and the planet cracker, which is an all-around AoE damage ability. Yes, I understand your concerns about the planet cracker and I partially agree with you. It's not a spell a support unit would have because it looks too damn powerful. If you count planet cracker out the mothership basicaly is a giant arbiter with a tweaked cloaking field and a statis field with a changed name. But you can rest assured that, with the current MS role, Blizzard will certainly do one of the two things with planet cracker if it really is as strong as it looks:
    a) Tweak it so that it isn't imbalanced
    b) Replace it

I also understand the concerns voiced about a big, expensive unit having a supportive role. But how much do we actually know about it's cost and supply taken right now? We only know that it was damn expensive and took a lot of psi when it was a super unit. How about now? When we know that it has 300 hp and 300 shields as compared to the old one which had much more? Do you still think it will be as expensive as it was? It is incorrect to think of it as a big, allmighty ship that tears apart planets on it's own. The way it is now, it's basicly a different version of arbiter that is much bigger only by the way it looks.

And we come to the next issue, which is it's name. Yes, I completely agree. If it stays the way it is, it needs it's name and lore changed. I never liked the name mothership anyway, it just sounds cheesy and is way too overused in many sci-fi works. Here are some of my suggestions for it's new name:
    - Well, actually, I can think of none. While I know that it is lame if you complain about something and don't suggest anything better, I never had any imagination when it came to names and I trust that someone can think of something better. Sorry.

And why I think the mothership shouldn't be a super unit is perfectly explained in the quote, as I completely agree with the original poster's views.

I'm satisfied with the current mothership, more than I was with the super unit one, if you count out the cloaking field which I think could be replaced with a better ability or at least buffed up. What I wrote here are my views on the issue. Some of you might agree, some might not. I can't force anyone to think my way. But I think the "mothership" will fit the game better if it stays this way.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I definitely do not like the idea of merging them, for a few reasons. Firstly, as a lot of people have said, the roles do not overlap, Mothership is designed for absolutely obliterating all ground units, no matter if they are large or small, as well as buildings. The Mothership is a capital, Anti-Ground fighter ship. Carriers, on the other hand, provide support for the army in both Anti-Air and Anti-Ground. They are still capital ships, but provide backup support and damage against all unit type, instead of dealing a tonne of damage to a specified area like the Mothership. Secondly, the Mothership is a spell-caster. Even though it is able to dish out a lot of damage with its normal attacks, it is still a caster. The Carrier is obviously not a caster, and all of the ideas for a new ability that they can have, have so far not suited Protoss in the least. The only new upgrade or ability that has been suggested for the Carrier that I have liked, has been ShdwyTemplar's idea for giving the Interceptors a Phase Shift type ability, which is good because it doesn't qualify the Carrier as a spell-caster. Thirdly, the Tempest was originally designed to be the Carrier's replacement. It was scrapped and the Carrier was brought back because it was hard to imagine a Protoss army without their classic Carrier. So if this is so, why would the change the Carrier? It was one of the classic units for the Protoss, so it shouldn't be merged with other units. Try to imagine a Zealot crossed with a completely different unit. It would never be able to properly replace the Zealot.
    Long story short. The Mothership and Carriers roles are completely different, so they don't need to be merged. The Mothership is a spell-caster, and the Carrier is not, so it would be extremely hard to merge them properly. The Carrier is a classic unit, that wasn't originally going to be brought back, but because of numerous complaints, was reimplemented into the game. There is no need to change it for a second time.