1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merc haven

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Bthammer45, Apr 18, 2009.

Merc haven

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Bthammer45, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Lolz, I think any soldier would rather drink then fight.

Could someone post a picture of the merc haven as of right now.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It still uses the old bar model, but its new name is the Merc Compound and the model is likely to change.

3. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Hopefully it does Gasmaskguy.

4. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

there were alot of soldies in rl in ww1 and ww2 and the vietnam war who drunk and smoke to keep the stress down that was gotten in war. back in those times drinking and smoking was the only way to escape the hell of war. its a relaxation tool and often times needed to keep the solides from going insane because of all the friends they have seen die or blow to pieces from war. the bar model can be based on that same concept. hell if i was a marine having to fight a bunch of monstrous aliens day in and day out while watch all my friends ripped to bloody pieces in front of me id sure as hell would like to go to a bar and have a drink and a smoke and watch some strippers in my free time... it would take your mind off of it briefly.

so id think of that bar more as a relaxation place then anything. but i agree, making it to where u have to upgrade armor and weapons and such is pretty unrealistic tho... but having it as a requirement for the reaper isnt imo. you can basically think of it as where the reapers come from but NOT where they are trained. they are trained in the barracks but
    "recruited" from bars by maybe deals with them in order for them not to go to jail. sorta like a "fight in the army or go to jail" kinda thing.

but if you REALLY want to be literal, the barracks are where the marines sleep and eat, not where they are trained... there trained in outside camps or facilities, not a housing building like a barrack...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  5. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Really the barraks is probly were they sleep and stuff, but it's also were they're "suited up" before heading into battle. Didn't anyone see the cinimatic? The Maine being suited up? And I agree the merc compond aka bar is really a recruting place and a place of relaxation.

6. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

The bar is like saying the reapers are mercs instead of criminals. When they really are suppose to be criminals. This makes no since. But it is true it is a relaxing place for marines and other units like that.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thats what im talking about. like i said always said the bar was silly. now this merc compound is awesome.

9. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Well the bar was seemingly just a placeholder so im happy this thread should probably be locked now.

10. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

I like this one. I prefer this one over a bar.

11. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

in legal terms, a mercenary IS a criminal...

12. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Yes, they are a criminal, but there is a line. You don't hire criminal that just came out of jail. Mercs are usually people who are criminals but they haven't been caught. When the criminal has. In the context of what I said, I was meaning that reapers aren't mercs. They aren't hired. They are rushed into service because the terran can't find anyone else. It's a choice, they don't get paid. They only get paid in freedom that will come soon, if they survive. Which most of them don't. Mercs get paid and are hired. Do you see the line here, Ballistixz?

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I see a very fine line. They just need some new art/building desgin and we would probly be happy.

14. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

They did look here. I just hope this isn't a old picture of the tech tree. If it is, hopefully they at least put this design in the editor so we can change the model. If it's new, then we will be happy. I can flow with this design.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    People are thinking that it's the new tech tree. I'm hopeing it is because if you look at the Zerg I like that the hydras are moved down and the roach moved up =D

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Cotcan and G_D, there's no thinking or hoping involved here, we know for sure that those are the latest tech-trees.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Well I guess I just didn't want to completly rely on them because one day blizz says look what's new then changes it the next. You can never be to certain that things are what they seem.

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    You can't be more certain than when using the latest sources. If they can't be used for arguments sake, nothing can.

Btw; It was mentioned that the Hydra and Roach switched tier with each other in an interview, too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  19. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    I never used stim packs in the first one i was afraid my men would die thats why i steer clear also probably why im 20 wins and 50 loses against other people and i dont want emotions in the new starcraft that would ruin the kick ass part of it

20. asdf

asdf New Member

what? in what country? a mercenary is anyone who takes money to fight in a war, but not tied to any government. these days they're just called Private Military Companies. the US employs several. they're certainly not illegal.

in starcraft, though, the reapers are criminals who are pretty much forced into the military. Personally, i think the Merc Haven should be renamed to Re-Education Center. it's the nice way of saying "prison." or, in the future, it could also mean "brainwashing facility," which could be tied in with ghosts. is this building a prerequisite for ghosts?