1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melee Interceptors?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ghost, Jun 20, 2007.

Melee Interceptors?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ghost, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Blinking to avoid attacks could be cool, and a bigger chance to miss and all, but on the other hand, I don't want another Warcraft 3...

2. burkid

burkid New Member

but you couldnt do that because blink has a cooldown. watch the icon for it in the gameplay vid if you dont believe me.

3. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Yeah, but that was solely a hero ability, even in that sense, you can't have too much strategy with that. With Stalkers having blink, its a lot more strategical and gives you reason to expand your ideas

4. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Yeah, flanking and such.

Giving the units the chance to miss depending where they stand might be from WC3, but it adds a whole different level of makeplay and its a good idea.

5. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

I think blink will be able to avoid some attacks. Avoiding a siege tank would be relatively easy because siege tanks don't really attack the unit, it doesn't matter where the hit lands it will deal the same splash damage to everything around it. However, the yamato cannon will hit, in my opinion. It's an ability that targets a single unit, I don't think blizzard will let someone avoid that.

I don't think an accuracy system should be added to SC2. It doesn't add dimension to the game because the complications of missing a target can't be balanced. There are so many things you would do to heighten your accuracy in real life, or strategies to lessen the enemies, and only a few, if relatively none, can be put in the a RTS like SC.

6. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

i said somewhere before that the presenter was talking about firepower in real dimension and physics
    and i also said that most of the firepower are near instant-speeds so dodging would be unlikely
    blink would probably definitely work in dodging. well, at least 1 or two shots from a big mass lol
    id say yamato would be homing. and why would you wanna yama stalkers -.-

amazingly enough, and speaking from experience....not recall!

7. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I DID mention that a BC Commander would have to be nuts to do that.

8. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

just as crazy as the protoss captain who thought of replacing pulse cannons with melee on interceptors....

9. paragon

paragon Guest

The problem is you're thinking StarCraft. This is StarCraft 2. All the projectiles are actual objects in the game that work within the physics of the game. And it would look ridiculous if a yamato blast or attack made a U turn because the stalker blinked behind the battlecruiser right after it had fired. (yes I know arrows and other things in Warcraft 3 make turns and even U turns on occasion but hopefully they are better about that now) (getting killed by a storm bolt that makes a U turn to hit you is very dumb)

I've also heard stories of units that used to outrun yamato blasts if the unit was target while it was running past the battlecruiser and kept running in a straight line. I don't remember which unit it was but it was the fastest one in the game.

10. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    fastest ones i can think of are mutas or corsairs, im gonna guess a corsair, although i can't see why they'd use a yamato on a corsair.

11. lilchibikun

lilchibikun New Member

it might be a bit of trouble,
    but if tempests recruit melee interceptors, they should also recruit ranged ones.

the tempests can carry melee and ranged interceptors. thatd be really tight :D

12. paragon

paragon Guest

The tempest itself still has a ranged attack, it's just that instead of hitting the target and exploding like missiles or energy weapons, it hits the target while spinning around and then swoops around to hit it again and again and again and again. And there are 12 of these things instead of just 1.

*imagines making a unit with a magical boomerang attack where it only has one of these spinning interceptors and it "throws" it and then the boomerang attacks the enemy until it is dead*

13. burkid

burkid New Member

its like the magic boomerang paragon described that can 'paint' targets so it attacks them till they or it are dead. or until you tell them to hit something else. and theres 12 boomerangs.

14. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Graphical representation and in-game handling of projectile/missile physics have little to do with attack accuracy in Blizzard RTS games. You can not manuever away from ranged attacks that are already en route. Meaning, if the attacking unit has already finished attacking you, you're gonna get hit, as simple as that. If you move out of range and not get hit, it will simply mean that you did so while the attacking unit is still in attack cooldown. This is true for SC and WC3, but I'm already 99% sure for SC2 as well.

In the leaked vid you see turret missiles curving like mofos chasing down interceptors. As for the hits landing, someone suggested that there is hit evasion mechanic in SC2 based on cannons and stalkers visually missing reapers. I already explained why that's false in the evasion thread so check there for that.

I'm gonna tell you right now that blink won't evade jack. If blink had some unbelievably huge range I might consider wavering for a second, but no it doesn't. But quite simply, it just won't work for SC and it's also not the direction Blizz has taken things. Everything we've seen so far that showed any indication of SC2 mechanics suggest that it's the same old uber-tracking system from SC and WC3. It makes no sense for them to rip that out and recreate a brand new mechanic just to let blink evade. Just won't happen, especially when it already applys to everything else we've seen in SC2 so far.

The fact that projectiles are actual rendered objects also have little meaning, we already had that in WC3, it's nothing new. The worst case of uber-tracking in WC3 that I've had was a crypt fiend's missile attack teleporting back to town with my near death hero getting in the last hit and killing him.

And to PowerkickasS, recalling a targeted unit to the other side of the map before yama finishes charging does save you.

Also, if tempests behave like carriers did, then the tempest will have no attack itself even if the interceptors are melee. There is a difference, but that's only if they are indeed like carriers.

15. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

/ignore remy
    im lost now. are you saying the tempest's attack is the interceptors or something different?

16. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Its not dumb...*sniff*... its MAGICAL!

17. burkid

burkid New Member

no. it is interceptors. the 'magic boomerang' paragon was describing was a melee interceptor.

18. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I can see homing magic hammer (Thor ftw), but regular arrows?

19. paragon

paragon Guest

Er... actual missiles have homing abilities. Lasers on the other hand go straight.

In the warcraft 3 editor there is a setting on every unit's attack that lets you turn homing on or off. When things don't home in on targets and don't hit the target, the target is not hit and takes no damage (see mortar team). It would make no sense to rip this function out just so you can have lasers and energy blasts home in on units in starcraft 2.

20. DontHate

DontHate New Member

exacly, t'is what i said.
    also, the melee interceptors sound really dumb. i mean, there is no difference becuase it would take the same time for a ranged interceptor to attack than a melle one. essentially they are all "melle" becuase they have to get close to the target to attack.