1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melee Interceptors?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ghost, Jun 20, 2007.

Melee Interceptors?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ghost, Jun 20, 2007.

1. paragon

paragon Guest

Their use isn't being disputed. How effective they are at it is.

2. burkid

burkid New Member

well i guess effectivness will just have to wait for the beta :p

3. paragon

paragon Guest

Yes. Or a video where they actually kill something quickly (they really didn't in the leaked video).
    I hope I get to play the beta.

4. burkid

burkid New Member

me too

5. paragon

paragon Guest

Do these interceptors focus on one target like carrier interceptors did or do they attack multiple targets? I can't tell from the video.

6. burkid

burkid New Member

i think that they attack everything in range, but i suppose if you tell the tempest to attack one thing they would focus on that.

7. paragon

paragon Guest

They better focus fire when I tell them to.

8. burkid

burkid New Member

*protoss player attacks missle turret with tempest*
    "once this turret is down i got a clear shot at the SCVs...WTF! WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING THAT SUPPLY DEPOT! ATTACK THE TURRET! ATTACK THE TURRET!"
    *tempest dies*
    "son of a ...."
    *leaves*

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Reaver didn't have AA. Reavers were also attackable by all ground units that didn't have AA, not to mention they were the slowest moving units in the entire game of SC. But if you ask me, the reaver was the best Toss combat unit in SC1.

Tempest is an improved carrier, no AA is a non-issue. Having AA didn't make carriers hard to destroy with air in the first game. Air-to-ground siege capability was the main reason for having carriers in the first game, that returns in SC2, but more accessible. That's an improvement.

10. Ych

Ych New Member

I really love the Tempest new looks. Soo slick and sexy.
    But one thing I don't get is how the shield work. Does it work like the Immortals shield, but only against Ground targets?

One thing I find funny is how many people assumed that the Carriers in SC1 were instant win. Just like Remy said, when I see people teching to Carriers, I usually let them do that, and build a counter for it. I don't want to rush their base and finish them. It always feels soo good when they come to my base with 12 Carriers + Arbiters thinking they are going to win, but then, 1 min later, I totally destroyed his Carrier + Arbiter fleet. Probably broke a lot of peoples heart when I did that because even many people even today still believed that Carriers are instant win.

11. Proxy-serva

Proxy-serva New Member

yes only vs groung attack...
    they are really not good than vs flying enemys like the phoenix...

12. burkid

burkid New Member

^thats why you mix units

13. paragon

paragon Guest

Thing is remy, they appear to do less damage then carriers. granted they are probably cheaper to make.

14. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I like them, finally gonna get peeps to stop massing. Although i did love screwing mass carriers and basically mass anything.

Phoenix is anti muta massing too =D

15. paragon

paragon Guest

Yeah I doubt too many people will be massing mutalisks in starcraft 2.

16. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think it's a little early and scarce on details to make that assumption.

First of all, based on carriers, you can already tell that there was no focus fire happening with the tempests whatsoever.  In the leaked vid, I think the only thing that got killed was one missile turret.  Based on SC1 stats, it would take 34 hits from a carrier/tempest to destroy a turret.

It's nearly impossible to clearly see the interceptors attacking, so accurate counting is out of the question.  But if you watch the vid again looking at only the one turret while keeping 34 hits in mind, it looks about right.

Although not nearly impossible, I wouldn't say tempests do less damage than carriers just yet.  However, even if it did turn out to be so, I believe it would still be well justified, cost efficient, and just simply better than before.

17. burkid

burkid New Member

yeah if it doesnt bankrupt you to get them, theyll be much better than carriers, especially if it does indeed have a hardened GTA shield.

18. paragon

paragon Guest

Either way, I'll look forward to utterly destroying them with wraiths.

19. burkid

burkid New Member

only if they dont have pheonix and warp ray guards.

20. paragon

paragon Guest

2 Science vessels defense matrixing each other to find the observer(s) take those out with the wraiths real quick then cloak. Untouchable.