1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medivac Dropship IN ACTION!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Chax424, Oct 18, 2008.

Medivac Dropship IN ACTION!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Chax424, Oct 18, 2008.

1. VastShadowz41

VastShadowz41 New Member

It's just that every other technology or ability has a pretty reasonable explanation and is within that race's reach or impression. A healing beam (that for all I care can shoot rainbows) that is supposed to be from humans seems rather far fetched.

Protoss units that warp? That's fine, believable. Zerg that burrow or can pop up anywhere from a Nydus canal? Fine, that makes sense.

It's just that...the idea is fine, a healing dropship. It's just that there should be a better execution of HOW it heals. Like I said, robot drones would be more acceptable. I'd personally just prefer the infantry medics from Brood War than a healing dropship.

2. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Humans have warp, battlecruisers use it to move quickly.

Why is the beam not made up of nanaobots or something?
    I disagree that the drones would work, as that idea as gameplay doesn't seem terran at all.

I also prefer medics over medivacs, but these ideas just don't work.

3. VastShadowz41

VastShadowz41 New Member

Well now that I took a look at starcraft wiki I did not the healing 'beam' does seem to have nanites or nanobots, which I can pretty much believe a lot more and can become more accepting about the beam.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    medivac i think is like tier 3 where medic was way lower i forgot where tho :O
    I kinda like the idea of healing drones with energy costing like 100mins/50gas

5. capthavic

capthavic New Member

TBH I'm not sure how to feel about it. On one hand I miss the medic and think it makes more sense than a healing beam. But on the other hand I like the idea of a more mobile healer that can park above my troops and auto heal them all.

I think a good middle ground might be to make it have to land to heal and that (as aem1 said) little bots would come out and heal the units.

6. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

The fallback i can see is that this unit might be a little bit easier to target especially with anti air units and also costs 50 more minerals and 75 more gas then the original one. :wacko:

7. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    well, its been said by people that played the game that the healing beam has a range of about 5, that is the same distant as how far a Marine can shoot.

and while it is slightly more expensive than 2 Medics, it can heal at a rate of 5 hp per energy (and at a faster speed rate then just a Medic, but maybe not as fast as 2 Medics), and with 200 energy that is the same amount of health healed as with 2 upgraded Medics, and maybe more if they give it a max energy upgrade. the only thing that could be different is, which could heal more units faster? 2 Medics or 1 Medivac?

8. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    2 medics can heal 2 units at once while 1 medivac can only heal 1.

9. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes, but note that i said faster, 2 Medics can heal 2 units at the same time = to 4 hp being healed at every unknown micro-seconds, while the Medivac can heal 5 hp every unknown micro-seconds(yet the Medivacs heal rate speed is faster, if they changed the Medivacs energy to hp from 5hp per energy to 2hp per energy, like the Medic, the 1 Medivac would be able to heal 4 hp faster than 1 Medic can heal 4 hp)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  10. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

The Medivac heals at a rate of 30 HP a second. This is based off the indication that it is marginally superior to an upgraded Roach's heal rate (25 HP a second).

Moreover, keep in mind that only 1 Medic can heal a given unit at a time. While the same is true for the Medivac, it heals at a much faster rate. Hence, a Medivac, even if it doesn't heal as fast as 2 Medics, will be able to heal the targeted unit at a much faster rate.

Also, remember that the Medivac can do this while flying 4-5 spaces away from the frontline, unlike the Medic, who has to do it close up, and that the Medivac costs no more than the old Dropship.

11. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

The 2 things where the only draw back that i saw in it, I personally thinks its a much better unit then the medic.

12. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

I think that Medivacs work excellently, given that in addition to transporting, they heal as good if not better than a pair of Medics.

1 Medivac for every 8 Marines, or 1 Medivac for every 4 Marauders, sounds about right. Medivacs can also keep a Reaper raid going extra long, and keep a Ghost alive for the few precious seconds it needs to drop a nuke.

13. cameronielsen

cameronielsen New Member

They are both star-trekkey remote healing units, same level of (un)realism. I don't know how a girl in a white suit has a light blinking and healing someone far away is any more realistic.

14. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Well the ships beam is said to be a controlled nanite thing.

15. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    The medivacs beam has an explanation, where the medic did not.

However i'm always a sucker for grittiness and prefer having infantry medics among the soldiers.

16. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Well if you look at artwork of the medic you can see she had two big syringes on her arm. So I just assumed they were filled with some chemical/nanite concoction.

17. onlyhuman

onlyhuman New Member

i'd rather have some sexy medics giving marines some female company than a big ufo ship focusing a beam of light on only one of my marines at a time.
    and that light looks like something the protoss should have. lights, warp rays, alien beams, and bizarre stuff are protoss style, while the terran's style is badass guns, steel, and industry.

strategywise, how am i going to effectively stimpack marines when i gotta wait for the starport to be built? and when group of marines are stimpacked, a medivac can only heal one marine at a time.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  18. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    But they have a range greater than the length of the syringes, which just raises further confusion.