1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Motherships

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Oct 30, 2007.

Mass Motherships

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Who said templars have hallucination back?

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    So many motherships....I'm invincible ;D . I will rule the map, no way anyone is beating that. Heck, I bet even the Korean kids would have fun trying dismember that army of powerful units. Fun to see how a battle with those turned out.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    the last Q&A if I am not mistaken.

4. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i agree that the mothership needs to be limited somewhat, imo i beleive that the player should be only able to build as many motherships as there are nexus. that or return to being a super-unit.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The mothership IS limited, its called food cap and resources. Sheesh, sometimes i wonder how you guys think... :p
    We might as well start a topic for every unit there is, showing them in large quantities and claiming them to be OP.

6. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    a group of MS wont be taken down easily without some dedicated AA system. If carriers would level a base, MS will do it much quicker.

Even with food cap and resources, a group of MS is usable and extremely destructive.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    yeah, but motherships are more expensive and cant attack air. For every MS they have, a terran player (for an example) would have like 4 or 5 vikings, that easily would rape them.

ALL units can be extremly destructive, when used right.

8. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

not the observer. or the overlord.

mass carriers/BC >>>> mass MS

plain and simple, mass MS isn't a viable tactic unless they've used all supply on siege tanks/colossus

9. Quanta

Quanta New Member

You guys are only looking at the possibility of a 1v1 match. What if you are playing 2v2 for something. If the game lasts long enough, one person could mass carriers while the other makes the needed support. Just think of the damage that could be done. If the ohter player can handle the enemy fleets then the game is over.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    They THEMSELFS cant be destructive, but every decent person can use them to make other units more useful.

Quanta;
    If the other player can handle the enemy fleets then he is the better player, thus deserving to win.

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Best protoss combo ever: colossus/warpray. god ground and air attack. One good agianst light units, one good on armored units.

Even a MS army wouldn't be as effective.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    uhh, the one being good against light units cant attack air, so mutalisks, phoenixes or vikings would PWN that combo, trust me.

13. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    However, the warprays would kill a few of them easy. And the colossus would take alot of hits from them since its an armored unit and light air units are bad agaist armored ground and air targets.

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    both the colossus and warp ray are "air targets" so to say, and atleast vikings (these are the ones i am mainly discussing about now) Are supposed to deal with capital ships(!)=warp rays (they almost ended up as the protoss capital ship) and the colossus have high hp so it would be killed pretty fast.

So what? the protoss player would still have lost a few colossi and a bunch of warp rays while the terran guy lost 3 or 5 of his most basic factory unit.
    both Colossus and Ray are about tier 3, while vikings are early tier 2 or something.

*EDIT* I dont get what we are arguing about.

15. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I said the warpray/colossus was a good idea and you contradicted me.

I just know that for SC2, my favorite strategy will be to produce colossus with warpray and phoenix support. Devastate CPU players, however I'm not sure how well it would work in b-net. Guess I'll have to play it to see how well the balance of that strategy would be.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Black Hole, if it returns, should definitely be an area of effect ability. It would not make sense if a Black Hole was created and it only effected a specific unit.
    With the idea of it damaging the Mothership's health, it would only occur if the Black Hole ability is not nerfed, and it would double as a way of making sure it is not spammed. Imagine a huge fleet of Battlecruisers all charging towards your base. Even if your Mothership is completely destroyed (which I don't think it should do, I only think that it should damage the Mothership) when it uses the Black Hole ability, you are still going to use it. This would be like the Mothership's sacrifice-type ability. It would be crippled in the process, but would destroy 20-odd Battlecruisers in the process.

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think the Mothership from the Invitational was as close to perfect as it ever got. They should undo all the changes from Blizzcon and balance things out from there.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Something does need to be done about the Black Hole ability though. It was extremely powerful and made it extremely imbalanced against air units, wiping them out in an instant. If it just did severe damage over time, like a powerful, airborne Psyonic Storm, then it would work well. It would also need to draw units towards the its center, which would make it harder to escape and also could be used to pull air units into the range of Phase Cannons, etc.

19. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    i cant see a single thing on the ground!
    its like a mass of mutated leeches, when the motherships passes by your base, everything is gone........

20. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe it would be an airbased psyonic storm stronger at the center than at the ends, pulling enemies in