1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit New Member

Do you realize that picture is a close-up? That you will not be able to zoom in that closely while playing? The marine is a tiny unit. Any additional detail on it will only be lost during gameplay. Look at the in-game footage on this page http://starcraft2.com/features/protoss/index.xml?tab=twilightarchon. Even when they zoom in very closely, the Marines still look amazing.

2. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

That'd suck if they retained the archaic camera style in SC. It can't hurt to have a 360 Degree camera pan and full infantry unit zoom... I fully realize that it probably would go unnoticed for the most part during gameplay, but I would still look and even if its not at first directly noticeable its still better than how it looked before... I would be disappointed if a game that came out a year before is graphically better. More detail doesn't deter the game at all, they could just come up with an "Ultra" high setting palette for people who can handle it.

3. Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit New Member

You will be able to pan 360 degrees, but there is absolutely no reason why you would need or want to zoom in that closely in a RTS game. And while a little detail doesn't hurt gameplay, it does prolong developement if Blizzard were to go back and change every little unnecessary thing some fan compains about. Blizzard won't change the Marine and I'm glad, because I would like to play Starcraft II sometime in 2008.

4. JudicatorPrime

I don't suppose every RTS out recently is evidence of people wanting to zoom in that closely in an RTS game then? Better to appreciate the game when you can actually see the units. Supcom can be played entirely in the global map view thingum, thats not to say peoplen ever want to zoom back in to see the game

SupCom, DoW, CoH, WiC (not out but will have it) to name a few. Adding more detail to infantry units wont take that long, it depends on where they are, if they expect it to release last week of december than it'll obviously delay, but otherwise no.

No doubt someone can make a high resolution 'mod' in a couple of weeks with the editor. And I never expected them to go back and change the game, nor was I complaining... just odd to see someone not want this to be the best possible game ever.

5. burkid

burkid New Member

he never said he didnt want this to be the best possible game. its just marines look pretty good for now, so blizzard can leave them alone and focus on bigger things for now. blizz is gonna have everything look decent now, then just create and balance new and old units. once the balancing is done enough for the game to be releasable, then blizz will focus more on extras like unit and ability graphics.

just leave the marine be for now. in 6 months if you still have a problem with it, then suggest a change.

6. Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit New Member

[img width=104 height=123]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2253/marinerg6.jpg[/img]
    You want to zoom in this closely in a RTS where 100 or more units will be fighting simultaneously?

JudicatorPrime, we need to play a game of Starcraft II when it comes out, so I can completely dominate you while you sit there staring at the pretty graphics. Have you seen other screenshots and videos of Starcraft II? It looks great and will no doubt be the best possible game ever.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Seriously, can't we just go without complaining about the graphics for just one day? We're all going to forget about it once we actually start playing.

8. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

One of those units is a bloodthirsty alien being with claws that shred hardened steel, and the other is an 10-foot warrior with 5 foot long blades of pure psychic power. And you want to compare that to a piddly little 6-inch knife?

:powerup: for chris benoit

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

lmao.

anyway judicatorPrime although i think that the marines looks fine for now, i will have no problem if blizz will improve them and im with you if you are talking about every possible detail of the graphics of the game should be maximize. good to know you appreciate the graphic details of the game not only the gameplay like most people only focus too. if this game would be the most balance and competitive rts game ever, why not make this game also the most highly detailed rts game ever too in terms of unit modeling, special effects, animations, etc so then we will get the best game ever created. ^^

10. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'm sorry I tried fighting the urge. But I had to for great justice.
    [img width=104 height=123]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/Ell789/marineshoop.png[/img]

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

hahah. that should be the final look of the marines.

12. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Or atleast under their visors.

13. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

lol the side effects of excessive stim pack usage ;D

14. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    LOL

zeratul11, when did your avatar become soo cute ^_^

15. capthavic

capthavic New Member

5 foot long blades? I think thats exaggerating a bit. And the bayonet looks more like a foot or so long. Anyway in the (quite likely) chance that one of them gets within striking range, it may not be much but it's better than nothing. How cool would it be to skewer an enemy and then blast them with the rifle ^_^

16. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

i was thinking more of the cinematic view of a zealot...in the gameplay pics it seems shorter, but nothing can really be taken as accurate or to scale in the game

17. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Well sure but come on, five feet? I think it would be like two or two and a half, three feet tops.

18. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I thought they were longer than that, considering they were 10 feet tall (wow)

but then again they are melee so I think 3 feet sounds right

19. JudicatorPrime

Well seeing the intro for Brood War I'd rather have something than nothing being a Marine in a trench. Not to mention shooting at something might give you some advantage... unless you're the worst shot ever even with some bionic hax...

And yeah, I've never played SC to the competitive level where I can't just sit around watching pretty graphics... I've played clan matches and all (Like once before WC3 came out and I moved on) vs. Koreans, and thats a feat of accomplishment for myself I like to think, even if they were the crappiest ones out there, I was never the hard-boiled SC player. Anyway back to point, even then I could sit and admire the game... Being the next-generation and all there should be a level of next-gen admiration. I've already admitted in my earliest post that they were fine, and that a little touch-up wouldn't be a problem...

Unless you want to totally dominate me in Turret Defense, then I think I'll be fine. Really hope NotLD comes to SC2. Fun times...

20. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.