1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I know paragon has been a champion of the Gauss Rifle, and has stated multiple times that the rifle has no recoil: it's basically a rapid-fire coilgun, and the projectiles are accelerated magnetically. As for the kickback for a hypersonic bayonet, you do have to remember that the Marine is wearing this big piece of equipment that easily weighs a ton, augmented with all sorts of crazy future-hydraulics. I am pretty sure that the Marine can handle it.

Also, I didn't mean that the bayonet would retract and extend at an incredible rate... ie. not 900 times per minute, I meant that it would extend at a velocity comparable to one of its bullets, except since it has more mass behind it, and continuous force, it would do more damage. In my mind it would probably extend around 60-90 times per minute.

2. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Just one problem with that Pancho Villa. THEY SCRAPPED FIREBATS!

Who's gonna take on the melee role? Reapers? Yeah. Those things look like if you shot their engines with a bb-gun they'd explode.

*edit* Zomg. Wait. I just realized something. Flamethrower add-on to the bottom of the gaussrifle. A marine could fulfill both roles. Holy shit i'm a genius.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

If youve ever played Warhammer 40k then you would truly appreciate the bayonets =]
    Power Bayonets FTW! (Power Bayonet means it has a forcefield around it that eats through any kind of material!)

4. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Scouring through the pictures of the Marines and the Bayonets I have come to one conclusion. The Bayonet only appears in pictures where the Marine has the Shield upgrade. Therefore on that evidence alone I conclude the Bayonet is for aesthetics purposes only and is a nice touch up to the Marines weaponry when they get something that increases there lethality therefore lengthening their lifespan. :-\ Although I admit it would be awesome if it did add a slight damage increase. Although this does bring and interesting question. Does the shield upgrade not only enhance the health of the Marine, but give it damage as well. This quote from Karune explains the mechanics of the shield. It does not explain the mechanics of the upgrade mentioned and how it overall affects the Marine beyond the shield.
    "5) Why do marines have shields now?
    The shields seen on marines in screenshots and videos are an upgrade that can be purchased through research, increasing the marines' overall hit points." - Karune SC2 Q&A 2

5. burkid

burkid New Member

its because its gonna be an upgrade like the shield, and why wouldnt you get health before a knife?

6. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

After see the up-close picture of the marine from a korean site, i think its best if they redesign the marine to be closely resemble the marine the theatrical trailer introduced in that South Korea event. Anybody agree with me?

7. capthavic

capthavic New Member

8. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

well not really, they got the top half right, but the leg and arms are not the same. Plus the gun doesnt look as badass of the one the in the cgi trailer

9. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Stop complaining about everything...

10. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Well there is a reason one is an in-game model, and the other part of a theatrical trailer

How are the legs and arms different, and how should they change the gun, in your opinion?

How detailed do you want a unit that's no more than 1/4 inch high on your screen?

11. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    So detailed that one unit will lag the whole game :p

12. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    With that in mind Burkid , yes, why would you get a knife before a shield does seem a bit obvious. It does suggest a few things that could be possible.
    1.The Bayonet is available to be upgraded/researched only after the Shield is upgraded and another building is in place. As in the Upgrade Tiers of Weapons for all Starcraft Units 1-2-3 (2-3 Req. Science Facility + 1-2 Being Upgraded Previously for Terran Ground for example).
    2.The Bayonet Upgrade comes only as an Tier 3 - End Game Upgrade and the Shield can be Upgraded in Tier 1-2. If this is so it would renew the Marines value in End Game as it would give off slightly more damage (Why would you research a blade weapon if you didn't want more damage dealt to enemy? :p), although, the Marine is still the Terran's basic trooper so it would make sense as to keep it in End Game anyway.
    3. The Bayonet is just an unusual visual improvement that comes with the shield and is going to purely be aesthetic and poses no value to the a Terran Marine other than showing off that he has a nice, new, shiny, pointy blade along with his new shield.

13. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

well world in conflict is pretty detailed

14. Cerebrate

Cerebrate New Member

Bayonet upgrade makes big sense to me.

Some think its funny to have weak humans using steel knives against warp blades and zerg beasts, however Marines of Starcraft 2 are using powerful suits that greatly enchance their physical power.

Their suits are almost considered as walker vehicels rather than exosceleton armor. We don't know how strong those suits are, it is possible that marines even cannot feel the weight of their gauss rifles because power mechanics of suit will take all weight and leaves marine only to control it with his body.

If that suit is really that strong I guess it can also deliver tremendous physical force and baoynet type of melee blade attached on gun can be quite deadly on melee combat against low armor units.

Also enemies of Terrans are quite melee focused. Zerg, main thread for Terran colonies on Koprulu sector have probably forced to modify marine equipment to better handle melee situations.

15. burkid

burkid New Member

@ ShdwyTemplar, i think that you can get the bayonet at the same time as the shield, just a smart player would opt for the shield before the bayonet, so in the pictures where there is no shield, there wouldnt be a bayonet because of choice.

16. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, as people have already mentioned already, the bayonet won't be of much use agaisnt psi blades and five-foot long claws. I'm thinking it's just for looks, the military still employ swords as ceremonial weapons, ie not to be used in combat but in presentations, formal meetings, etc.

P.S. Yay! I'm a regular!

17. WuHT

WuHT New Member

-----------

I DO like the new stance that the marines have while shooting. Before they'd stand straight and just point the gun @ a target. Now they have to brace themselves..so thats always nice to see.

18. Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit New Member

The marine looks fine. Blizzard doesn't need to waste any time redesigning the marine when they have more important things to be doing.

19. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    NOTHING is more important than the marine, Blizzard should use all the resources possible to get as close to real as my hand!! Don't work on the zerg!! We need a good marine! :p

20. millions

millions New Member

man is it me or since blizzard decided to change the siege tank's look everyone started becoming more whiny lol....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.