1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. darktemplar56

darktemplar56 New Member

Having a bayonet makes sense to me. It makes a lot more sense than standing and shooting something that's clawing at your face. Maybe there will be a stance setting where you can set your marines to use bayonets if enemys get close.

2. Lemonparty

Lemonparty New Member

3. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    Although the 10-15 hp boost might be good, stim pack itself takes away 10. If medics ARE taken out, then the marines will be right back where they started with 40 hp, with a temporary hp increase. I hope that this wont be the case, cause by the time SC2 comes out, if bliz decides to keep all of the rines current ups, then rines will have range ups, shields, stim, and medic heal, all for just 50 minerals. If you decide to full upgrade them, im almost certain that they will be feared even in the late game scenarios.

4. Ych

Ych New Member

Medics are indeed, confirmed to make a comeback for SC2.
    http://sc.gosugamers.net/news/blizzard_reveals_more_at_e3

From that, it is clear that Terran infantry is going to be very powerful in SC2. With the new improved HP of the Marines, introduction to Reapers, and the returning Medics, you will have a deadly force that can do basically anything. This comes back to the point that Marines being the ultimate versatile unit.

Reaper harrass is going to be on a whole new level with Medics been in the game. Jump in the base, take out workers, then jump out to get healed by the Medics. Rinse and repeat. Not to mention, we haven't learned all the units available in the Barracks for the Terran. For Protoss Gateways, what we know so far that should be in are Zealots, Immortals, Stalkers, Soul Hunters, High Templars, and Dark Templars. That is a total of 6 units. If the Rax are to have that, there will be 2 more unannounced infantry units because what we know so far in the rax building are the following 4. (Marines, Reapers, Ghosts, and Medics). With the introduction to Medics, improved Marines, the raiding reapers, and possibility of other unrevealed Terran infantry units, it is clear that Terran infantry is going to be on a whole new level in SC2.

Now, I clearly understand why the Protoss have soo many hard-counters to infantry units. (Soul Hunters, Collossus, Reavers and of course the Psi Storm). Without those hard-counters, the new and improved Terran infantry with its versatility are going to run rampage against all force that dares to stand in their path.

5. Meloku

Meloku New Member

Very interesting idea, maybe not so much as hyper extending, but shooting like a harpoon [terran style!] Each marine would only get to fire the harpoon once, but it would deal enough damage to discourage melee against marines late game. It would be awesome if you had to choose between the shield upgrade, or the harpoon melee upgrade, and both were relatively cheap.

6. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    It is indeed an interesting Idea, but 2+ damage Is way too unbalanced. That is essentially bringing the marine to level 5 attack when fully upgraded, which would cost 250+300 mins/gas =550 mins and gas for just 150, not to mention that this upgrade WILL bring it above level 3/3, making it comparable to the ultralisk, but instead just costing 50 minerals. The harpoon idea might work well, as it can be used in the same micro as a spidermine. 1 Use, no refills, and it will do a large amount of damge, maybe even 40-50.

If microed correctly, 12 harpoon rines can kill 12 non-harpoon rines without taking any damage. For animation purposes, perhaps it should instead be a rocket, as it will look better.

I'm glad these marines are getting so many upgrades. Marine power! Woot! ;D :good:

7. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    The marines equipped with grenades should act a lot like a spider mine in the sense that you only get 1 when you build the unit and it's impossible to resupply the unit to get more. I think the marine should have a grenade that when thrown at a unit will do 30 damage. This way if you have 12 upgraded marines with grenades with 12 without, a skilled player can micro all 12 to kill the other 12 with limited damage.

Even though it's a grenade, there shouldn't be any splash cause even the vulture's main weapon is frags, and those only do 20 damage.

Another type of grenade I was thinking of is a tear/poison cloud grenade that does 1 damage to all units that step inside of it for maybe 10 seconds, 1 damage a second

8. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I agree that the grenade should be limited use (say just once) but I think that its damage and area of affect should be like a anti infantry spider mine. That way it can turn the tide of battle (especially against massed zerglings) but each unit only gets one shot.

And any smoke/tear/poison grenade should go to the medics, ghosts, etc.

9. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

hey paragon, just think. how do you get smoke? fire. they are heating, and become very, very hot

10. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    Perhaps instead of giving poison to the medic, they can give it to the queen. It was it's main weapon before the first patch came out, and it was called "poison" doing 4+(2) damage for every flier attack upgrade.

11. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

errr.....smoke grenade effect like a dark swarm!?
    i thought terrans are suppose to fear dark swarm =/

12. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Lemon party, that was possibly the single most retarded, yet hilarious thing I've seen on these forums. If I had my power-up available good sir, it would be donated to you.

13. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

After reading what Hadean said, I had to check it out. And I couldn't have said it any better myself lmao.

14. burkid

burkid New Member

i think (as ive said on some other thread) that the bayonet will probably just increase damage done to units in melee range, because if a zergling was clawing at you, rather than just shooting it, why not stab it at the same time?

15. eclipse

eclipse New Member

wouldnt this make the marines overpowering?

16. I)4rk

I)4rk New Member

I heard similar comments about the marines, but I personally think that such tings like this are useless unless its vs Lings maybe. Because if they go melee, they would need to have INCREASED damage for it to have any effect. They would need to encompass the melee units at hand e.g. Zerglings with speed. But as of now Lings have speed upgrade as well as movement, so they emcompass the Marines better. So typically I see no use in the bayonet.

17. burkid

burkid New Member

im saying it has increased damage, because it hurts it from shooting, while it hurts it with stabs. so like a +2 damage bonus vs units in melee range.

18. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

ok, since ppl are talking about stuff like "hyper fast extending the bayonete to a long ninja sword" id give some more food for thought

in reallife i do enjoy shooting (doing "shooting tournaments" etc) and even with a standar 6.5-55mm bullet the recoil is quite hard, and with a 9mm mp-5 u can feel the recoil well, not to mention a 375h&h ump...
    my point is, with a gauss rifle fireing at like 900rpm with high caliber the recoil would be insane..so if u put a bayonete at the very end of it and u got a zergling trying to mate with u like a dog from 2feet away the recoil would make the bayonete bounce really fucking fast and stabing ur target 900times per minute..even tought its a knife it would prolly kill ur foe fast...

so theoreticly it would work....

thats my 2cent anyways

19. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Bullets will always hurt more than a bayonet stab, and futuristic u-238 upgraded hypersonic spikes are probably as dangerous as the technobable sounds.

Marines should learn to get away from melee situations at all. Let the firebats step in and roast the baddies instead. It's all about roles people!

20. the bayonet is most likely just for looks a unit that is a ranged attacker shouldnt get a melee attack that is seperate from the ranged one it would upset the balance of the game. I think they might make the animation different when a marine gets into melee but it wont change the damage and rate of fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.