1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Ych

Ych New Member

Marines in SC1 were great. They dealt normal damage, could shoot fast, and could hit air targets. They were also very cheap. What they lacked was their HP. But things are going to change.

In Sc2, as just confirmed by Blizzard in his Q/A batch 5.
    http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc-general&t=199664&p=1&#post199664

The Shield upgrade will be an upgrade that would increase the Marines overall HP.
    Now, I am thinking, if they actually increase the Marines HP anywhere close to the Hydralisk, they are going to be very very strong. What the Marines had over the Hydralisk in SC1 was that they were smaller, could stimpack, and dealt normal damage. But they die too fast compared to Hydralisk. If the Marines HP department is improved, I believe the Marines will be the ultimate versatile unit in SC2 for all we know.

1. Decent HP
    2. Hits fast
    3. Small and deals normal damage
    4. Range and Hits Air units
    5. Cheap

Of course, I'm just speculating. But from what we know, if the Marines HP are really increased, we can expect that the Medics are probably going to get removed.

What are your thoughts?

2. paragon

paragon Guest

The HP will probably be increased to either 50 or 60. The hydralisk is 80. This is not close. The hydralisk will still beat the marine.
    Besides, goliaths beat them both.

3. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Yeah, but do we know if the goliaths are coming back? And i'd rather have 3 marines that 1 hydra.

4. Ych

Ych New Member

Either 50-60 will make them considerbly stronger IMO. That extra 1-2 hit really adds up when you have mass marines. Yes, Hydras will most likely be able to defeat the Marines. But remember, Marines deals normal damage while the Hydra deals explosive. That alone makes the Marines a better all around unit. Not to mention, Marines are alot cheaper, and smaller.

5. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    HEY! You ripped this off from my link on wether you use marines for late game or not!!! Copyright infringement!!! hehe jk.
    Well anyways, I don't see why they'd take out medic. Even with the shield and such, they're still gonna die to upgraded units even if they themselves are upgraded. Medic's here to stay i think...they're just too fantastic a unit to leave, plus, their inclusion or exclusion will really impact how Terran players play.

Plus it's not like the Dominion is stupid enough to be like "Dude, Medics were awesome, we need to make some ourselves!" "Don't be stupid! They were UED!!" "Awww, you're right..."

6. paragon

paragon Guest

Plus the Dominion and the UED were fighting on the same side in the very last mission of brood wars.

7. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

The venerable Marine and Medic combo should not be removed! Despite the upgrade to the Marine's toughness, I still think that there would be a general need for Medic units. We will probably see some limits to the Marines gaining the extra hit points and dawning some new pieces of armor.

Oh and the last brood war mission was just the UED if I do recall correctly.

8. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Nah, Mengsk, UED, and Artanis decided to try to b*tch slap Kerrigan, but then the queen b*tch made all three of them her b*tches, with Mengsk being the uber b*tch if i recall. :)

9. Lemonparty

Lemonparty New Member

The Terrans will probably associate to become one happy empire with happy rabbits and pink flowers.

10. paragon

paragon Guest

well the UED expeditionary fleet was destroyed on their way back to earth... so they won't be joining anything
    and mengsk is a dick so raynor wont be joining him

11. TEDurden

TEDurden New Member

Mengsk will be curbstomped by Tychus Findlay :)

But anyways... Marines were already the most versatile unit, IMO, and shield will only make them better. Also, if they take out Medics i will be incredibly pissed.

12. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

the raised hp by sheild is just a counter to the new charge from zealots, they definately won't be as tough as hydralisks.
    probably itl raise hp by 10-15

13. paragon

paragon Guest

versatile at being killed

14. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

Even with a small upgrade, coupled with medics they are that much more annoying. 2-3 hits is a long time when you consider in how many marines there are going to be still attacking you.

15. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

But at the same time, the other units are getting upgraded as well. Zealots have charge, so Montag said, the extra defense and offense are probably counters for that, and most likely zerg hydras and lings will get upgrades that will even it out between the three races

16. paragon

paragon Guest

a baneling will still be able to take out a few clustered marines

17. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea I have a feeling the hydras are going to be badass in SC2. Watch they mutate into these insane melee units. Like as good as the Devouring One.

18. Meloku

Meloku New Member

Marines are very strong in starcraft 1, and I think that if anything, the marines in starcraft 2 will have a hard time following their predecessors act. Watch any of boxer's battles to see what marines are capable of with stim packs and a medic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNYi3qdSWM
    watch this video at 3:14. The marines rip through 3-4X their numbers in hydras and zerglings. This is sheer destruction. I simply hope that the marines in starcraft 2 can deliver. Its one of the first things I will look for at blizzcon ;) :powerup:

19. paragon

paragon Guest

the tank blasted a bunch of those zerglings too. plus the terran was defending and not attacking. and we don't know how many upgrades the players had.

20. beBoy

beBoy New Member

I noticed in several screenies that marines with shield-upgrade also has a knife mounted at the tip of the gun. It would be cool if marines would go melee mode (ie: use the knife and do some hand-to-hand combat) when there are enemies close by (ie: zealots hitting marines) ;)

Anyone else see the knife or is it just me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.