1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yea, after giving marines the shield upgrade, beyonets, and stims, why not allow them to have rocket launchers. maybe they can fit a flame thrower in his gun and some rocket boots on his feet.

2. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

good idea man
    but seriously , im saying the 1 time use rpg would be 10 times more usefull then any stupid shield

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

dude you are so negative... to every idea you either respond "it's too complicated" or "it's too much", all you seem to want is for sc2 to stay like sc1, what's the point of making sc2 then.

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I'm fine with change, but if you add a rocket launcher the marine would have too many abilities, and of those abilities, i think the shield is the best one. Giving it a rocket launcher, even if it's only one time use can be pretty powerful. It's sort of like a viking, where a unit can quickly adapt to a new enviornment, so if your marines are confronted by collosi the marines could take them out, even though they shouldn't be able to normally.

5. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

so do you agree that a rocket launcher would be better then a silly shield?

6. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    He clearly doesnt. Way to read.

*edit* On another note. bnech, the RPG-7 you have shown there WAS practical and the only reason its used now is cause it's cheap and it goes boom. An RPG-7 doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of knocking out any modern tanks. It was top of the line in the 60s and 70s, its 2008. The M1a2 Abrams, the T-90, the Leopard 2A6 all could take multiple RPG hits without worrying. Especially if they're fitted with Reactive Armor, which essentially makes all shape charges moot.

Giving the marine a grenade launcher/rocket launcher makes story sense, but not game sense. Would be so disgustingly imbalanced it'd be ridiculous. IIRC marines had grenade launchers story-wise in SC1, they didn't have them in-game in SC1 though did they?

*another edit* How anyone can even say "ZOMG THE RPG IS PWN I BET THEY'D USE THAT IN ABOUT 500 YEARS!" must be braindead. They have tech that can channel nuclear energy and fire it as a big ass beam. I'm PRETTY sure a rocket thats not even useful now is sorta silly to be using later on. Are they using SCARs and F2000's, TAR-21s, g36s in SC? no. Cause it's outdated. What silly people you are. /rant

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the rpg is one time use and doesn't do huge amount of damage like siege tanks, in fact it's power will only be similar to stalker's normal attack, so marines still couldn't take out colossi on their own, they just do slight more damage (about 2 normal attacks more) i want it to be implemented mainly for the fun factor

edit: it wouldn't be a rpg in the traditional sense, it would be more like a electric pulse bomb or something, what i'm saying is game play wise, it's not as difficult to balance as people imagine, you got to remember that it can only be used once, which is the cool thing about it. the marines charge into battle, unloads their "rpg" and start shooting, like roman legionnaires who used to chuck a big spear at enemy before charging into melee combat

8. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Bnech, then dont show pictures of an rpg-7 just say you want a bloody grenade launcher on the marine's rifle. It's still a bad idea, far too imbalanced and the more you try to reason about it about lowering it's damage, you make it more ridiculous because then what the hell is the point. You might as well let the marine just shoot.

9. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

edited my previous post again

10. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    What if the marines got a shotgun upgrade, where when units enter into the shorter, say half the distance of the spike bullets, range the marine automatically switches to shot with a small splash that becomes more powerful the closer it is to the marine. This could basically replace the need for a firebat as a anti-melee unit, and makes more sense because it looks like the guns that the marines hold have 2 barrels, and why couldn't the bottom one be a shotgun? This also leaves out the need for more micro abilities with an rpg upgrade, which is more WC3 than SC.

11. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    see, THAT idea, I do sorta like. Buuuut technically speaking a shotgun is not very damaging compared to a rifle. Regardless, the flaw aside technological advances could theoretically make it work. Good idea DE. Though I think this MAY need to be an upgrade.

Bnech. AOE attack on the marine is NOT a good idea. First off, it'd have to be damaging to be useful, secondoff if its seriously damaging it's imbalanced as marines are cheap to produce and could be used for this skill only. Third, putting this on the very first unit, forget first tier, the first unit would make terrans rigged early on. And if you wanted to make it an upgrade, that too would be useless, because later on marines (as it seems so far in sc2) are strictly cannon fodder.

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

you really like guns hadean don't you ;)

13. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Yes a shotgun might not be as powerful as a rifle, but then again a laser should never be less powerful than bullets, and that wasn't true in SC1, so I don't think that it's a big deal. And it would be an upgrade that you would be able to get slightly after you would normally be able to get firebats.

14. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    well I WAS gonna enlist bnech, sorta pays to know the shit :D

15. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    de I like the fact that you even mentioned it should be aqcuired around the time you get bats. You my friend are a genius. Howwwever (sorry) thinking more on it, it could technically make the marines much more deadly, but regardless would be nice to have a dual purpose infantry unit without having to bring the firebat back into the fray. Though the firebat WOULD be nice to have. He was so sexy... ;)

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

actually giving marine shot guns would be like combining the marine and the firbat in one, which would be much more imba than a one use projectile bomb. becuase then the marines would have no weakness against low tier units and totally own zerglings and zealots even without medics

17. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    He did fill a nice role, and that sexy voice.....fire it up.

18. DontHate

DontHate New Member

If they gave reapers a shotgun like affect where they're pistols would deal concussive damage and more of it, then it'd be the firebat pretty much. it'd also be a beastly raider becuase it can take out workers almost as fast a vultures, depending on how much boost they get. Might be a little too imbalcened though, but that's what phase cannons/planetary fortress/whatever are for.

19. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Keep in mind too Bnech, the damage would remain the same with minor splash, or increase damage but on single units (buckshot and slugs respectively) without the increase in health or armor. Firebats did three times as much damage as the marine bro, thats WHY they were so deadly.

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I don't see any reason why the Marine would need an attack change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.