1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. WonderBoy

WonderBoy New Member

I'm not too sure about the mounting marines on other units. I think it would be kind easy to just get a bunch of tanks with tons of marines all over them and would make it too easy to win. the tanks would take out any of the heavy ground units and any small units like zealots or lings would be thrashed by the marines, however i suppose it would still be vulnerable to air a little bit. I just think it would kind of throw off the whole balancing thing a bit.

2. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

comment on the mechanic only and don't worry about balance, no mechanic is unbalanced by itself. it's the numbers behind them that make things unbalanced. so don't just slap an idea because you "feel" it "would" be unbalanced.

3. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

you know instead of mounting vehicles, why dont we let them mount buildings?

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Why does everyone talk all day about mounting???

Go to a farm, watch two horses. Chill out.

5. Divinity

Divinity Guest

This isn't WC3. Gtfo with that mounting stuff.

6. Yrcrazypa

Yrcrazypa New Member

Decent idea, as long as the mounted marine doesn't do a whole lot of damage, otherwise it would be too overpowered. Not letting it attack air would be a start in making it a little weaker, so you would get the advantage of fast attacking, but you wouldn't make the tank overpowered by eliminating its weakness of not being able to defend itself from air.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    as Yrcrazypa said, the best thing would be if the mounted marine only could attack land, since air always should be the Siege Tanks weakness. Maybe the mounted marine should use a light machine gun that do minimal damage, lets say 6 or 8. All it does is killing units that survived the splash etc..

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Then how is it any different from just having marines around your tanks? It would actually be worse, as you would lose the marines' air attack, stim pack, and individual maneuverability(micro).

IMO, mounting is not really needed.

9. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

mounting sounds fun, the marines would just ride on top of the tank. they could be shot, or they would blow up when the tank blows up. they could make some close range or AA defense for tanks, or it could makes the marines move around faster

10. Indigent

Indigent New Member

The marines could always just get out of the tank though, couldn't they? Still would like a unit specificly for carrying infantry, like a humphy so the marines could shoot out.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Why have them ride a tank that is dangerous just give them an Infantry Fighting Vehicle instead then they can fire AND are protected

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

infantry mounting on tanks actually happens in real life, it's mutual beneficial for both infantry and armor. the infantry gets a lift from the tank and they can protect the tank from hidden ambushes from anti-tank infantry carrying rpgs and bazookas by scouting ahead reacting quickly to the attacks.

as for starcraft 2, i can see it working, but the marines should not gain any hp or damage and would need be target-able while on tank. this way it'll look cool without making the tank too powerful

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Just don't see how this mechanic changes anything. It's kind of pointless.....

Infantry already supports the tank. Putting a Marine on there just uses up food for no reason and puts the Marine at extra risk. Tanks move slower than Marines, too.... I just don't see a benefit for the extra effort.

14. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

more units in less space, and yhou can hit everywhere near the tank, this technique rules for zergling rushes and zealot rushes and even m&m's, but it's not very usefull against late tier units

15. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Emm it would be like the mixture of a bunker and a dropship? You could use it as a mobile bunker rush so... It would be too powerful I think

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It doesn't have to be 200 hitpoints of awesome. Take C&C (yes I said it) APCs/HumVees. You can put a few infantry in them who can fire out of but they have crap for hitpoints and are destroyed easily. The survivability of them is based upon you ability to to do hit and runs where you speed in fire and speed out and your ability to avoid fire.

17. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I don't understand why there are reactors in the back of the new marine. In the official cinematic we see the construction of a marie. At the end, we hear "all marines, prepare to drop". And we see the activating reactors. I believed first that the marines were the reapers when I saw the gameplay video.

So ....

So the marine can make like the reaper. No, delete the reaper from your head, than place the reactors of the reaper to the marine (so the marine can jump now), and let the firebat come back, and let this last unit launch grenades, or let the marine launch the grenades, as we could see in the first cinematic of Brood War, where we see a marine launching two grenades and killing two zerglings.

18. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

mebbe the reactors are just to keep the marines from freezing in the icy embrace of unheated space.

so anyways, marines on tanks helps them keep formation, i'd rather have a wall of tanks supported by marines then marines scrambling like idiots trying to get around the tanks

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It's not all that hard to get your marines in position if you micro them well, but I see what you mean.

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Units should be able to move while shooting. And tanks should be able to run over units..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.