1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I have to agree that there isn't really a strong counter for Zealots, at least, not on the first tier. I think Reapers and Vikings can do the job pretty well, but as it is, Zealots are the weakest Protoss ground units before they're upgraded. I mean, they're so slow that you get Immortals and Stalkers outpacing them. All you have to do with Marines is do some decent micro and your odds are a bit better. I am hoping for the return of the Firebat, because there isn't currently anything that can fry Zealots and Zerglings in quite the same way.

2. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Thank you Neon. It's what i've been preaching all along!

3. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Yeah, firebats need to come back, but as a diferent unit from the reaper cuz the reaper is a beautiful creation.

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

ok it was 10 banshees and 45 marines, still it was a massacre

5. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

I don't caire about an upgrade, all I want blizzard to do is make a cool finishing move animation when killing organic units for the bayoneted marines, like the zealots, no cutign the heads off but pointing the gun down and stabing them instead of swishing and cuting them throught the middle.

6. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Of course a bayonet is not a effective as a gun, but much like the shield it's better than nothing when your face to face with a zergling.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I guess you could call it that, but what good is better than nothing when you're ripped to shreds?

8. capthavic

capthavic New Member

It can mean the difference between life and death. At least with a shield and knife you stand a better chance than if you had nothing but air between you and it. And anyone who would give up that advantage is a fool in my opinion.

9. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

Umm its a new metal alloy that doesn't need as much speed to break something as the blades we have today. Also like someone said a Zealots head is always exposed plus there are other units like Dt's that don't even wear armor.

10. WuHT

WuHT New Member

keep in mind that it's still added cost of production (generals dont seem to care much about their troops hehe) and the manauervability of such a large gun that will be lengthened with a blade might be determinental in close quarters (but hey it's just a game).

I like how starcraft had specialized units (not just using riflemen to gun everything down) and simply put, melee range is and should be a weakness (gamewise ) to marines. You dont want the marines to become an all-purpose unit, espeically one so low on the tech tree.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They do now.

I am hopng to see the marines actually use the shields and bayonets. They should make it like AoE3 where ranged units will switch to a melee attack iof the enemy gets to close that means the marine would use the bayonet and the hydra would use its scythes. I can also seethe marine using his shield to bash a ling back far enpough to pump more bullets into it

12. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I assume these melee attacks would do more damage than their ranged one otherwise it would make it redundant. Would you need to micro every single marine close to a unit to make them go melee? That would be a pain in the *ss, which is why I suggested the ability to toggle which attack individual marines should use, similar to the footman's shield ability against ranged damage
    That way you could have melee units similar to firebats.

13. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

The Melee/ranged dynamic is a central gameplay device of DoW, I don´t think it will be used in SC2. If units use a different attack if engaded in melee (wich makes sense) it should deal exactly the same damage (but be a moddable for Editor fun :)).

14. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I've mentioned this on another thread, but I would like to see a more self based discussion on this topic, unless this has already been done.

What do you guys think about being able mount one marine onto a Siege tank, giving it a machine gun slightly stronger than a Gauss Rifle?

15. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Hahaha, I'm sorry, this is totally nonconstructive but I just had to say that the topic name sounds a bit awkward in an all not-so heterosexual way, lol.

But *ahem* that actually sounds like a pretty sweet idea. I'd totally go for that. And HEY! Y'know what that might even be able to replace is the Cobra altogether because what we could have is a siege tank that can shoot and move at the same time or something like that... I dunno, I'm just going with it. But yea, good idea, I'm for it.

And hey, welcome to the forum, Hodl Pu!

16. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    why only one marine why not two or three or possibly four

17. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I just thought it might be too cheap to have too many on a tank, otherwise it would be a mobile bunker. haha

and thanks!

18. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    maybe have a mounted machine gun that a marine can hop into and use, maybe even a tank upgrade to a mounted rocket launcher for the tank, some tanks can be built with machine guns and some can be built with rocket launchers.

19. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    that would be cool a mobile bunker no more offensive bunkering just put them on a tank it would save resources and it would fit the versatile theme of the terrans

20. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Going off ArchLimit's idea...

Maybe instead of scrapping the Cobra, you could have one Marine 'board' a Cobra. This would boost the Cobra's attack (maybe firing another rail gun), but if the Cobra was destroyed, the Marine is lost as well. Would add a new mechanic to the game, but not be simply a cheap way of offensive bunkering or troop transport, since it is only one Marine per Cobra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.